Jun 22, 2008
His 6 hat tricks this season are all against non playoff teams:

Anaheim
Philadelphia
Calgary
Buffalo
Minnesota
Montreal

In his last 10 regular season games vs playoff teams he has 6 goals in 10 games. That's basically a 50 goals pace (instead of the 70).
Players have higher production versus lesser talented teams. In other shocking news, the sky is blue.

Number 70 sure was a beauty, no?

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
He has to do more, but the teams he has been playing are generally known for good structure, good goalies, and don't give up a lot of goals.

2017 - Washington #1 GA
2018 - Boston #4 GA
2019 - Boston #3 GA
2020 - Columbus #3 GA
2021 - Montreal #18 GA (Price played amazing)
2022 - Tampa #6 GA
2023 - Tampa #14 GA/Florida #21 GA (Bobrovsky played amazing)
2024 - Boston #5 GA

Some Vezina winners sprinkled in there and good team defenses.

They've played a Vezina winner in every series minus Columbus and the current one (unless Ullmark plays)

I'll say again, he has to do more, but there are no easy teams to score on there.
There are those who folks here would consider clutch yet have never faced a first round opponent seeded higher than 10th and when you delve into several of their performances vs Vezina type goalies, you'll find their numbers behind what Matthews' have been. Seriously, how ridiculous is it to face a Vezina winner 8 out of 9 series? Yet he still sits top 40 all time with over half the list ahead of him being run and gun era players.

Last edited:
Reactions: authentic

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
There are those who folks here would consider clutch yet have never faced a first round opponent seeded higher than 10th and when you delve into several of their performances vs Vezina type goalies, you'll find their numbers behind what Matthews' have been. Seriously, how ridiculous is it to face a Vezina winner 8 out of 9 series? Yet he still sits top 40 all time with over half the list ahead of him being run and gun era players.

A certain Ottawa captain comes to mind.

Reactions: nofehr

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Players have higher production versus lesser talented teams. In other shocking news, the sky is blue.

Number 70 sure was a beauty, no?
Technically it was goal #1. Playoffs are a new season.
And yes it was a beauty. I am always gonna give the player kudos when he deserves it. He came to play last night.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Im very happy that he got the winning goal yesterday, but before all that what has he really done in the playoffs?

Individual awards are great and all but meaningless come playoff time. Turn it up a notch and aim for the bigger trophy. The whole "whats a more important stat 70 goals or 100 assists" thread was stupid, The players probably dont care.

When Gene Principe is kissin McDavid's ass every post game about a 4-5 point night or at the end of season when hes locking up awards, McDavid will say, "yeah it was a great night but more importantly we picked up the 2 points and move on to the next game, or "individual awards are nice, but my focus is the bigger trophy at the end of the playoffs"

Aim higher. Do I think Matthews is worth 13 mill/? Nope, but the contract is signed nothing i can do about it anyways, but say step it the f*** up.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Im very happy that he got the winning goal yesterday, but before all that what has he really done in the playoffs?

Individual awards are great and all but meaningless come playoff time. Turn it up a notch and aim for the bigger trophy. The whole "whats a more important stat 70 goals or 100 assists" thread was stupid, The players probably dont care.

When Gene Principe is kissin McDavid's ass every post game about a 4-5 point night or at the end of season when hes locking up awards, McDavid will say, "yeah it was a great night but more importantly we picked up the 2 points and move on to the next game, or "individual awards are nice, but my focus is the bigger trophy at the end of the playoffs"

Aim higher. Do I think Matthews is worth 13 mill/? Nope, but the contract is signed nothing i can do about it anyways, but say step it the f*** up.

Weird to bring up McDavid when talking about winning... bring up Crosby or something.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
His 6 hat tricks this season are all against non playoff teams:

Anaheim
Philadelphia
Calgary
Buffalo
Minnesota
Montreal

In his last 10 regular season games vs playoff teams he has 6 goals in 10 games. That's basically a 50 goals pace (instead of the 70).
Uh, if it was that easy other people would do it. This isn't the own you think it is.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

This isn't the first time he's dominated in the playoffs. Look no further than both of his series against Tampa, more goals and points than anyone on Tampa while outscoring all his matchups in each series, Kucherov couldn't score a single point matched up against him in the 2nd series. Held Tampa to zero shots on goal when he was on the ice in a game that went to OT, scored clutch goals in their 4-1 comeback, etc.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
This isn't the first time he's dominated in the playoffs. Look no further than both of his series against Tampa, more goals and points than anyone on Tampa while outscoring all his matchups in each series, Kucherov couldn't score a single point matched up against him in the 2nd series. Held Tampa to zero shots on goal when he was on the ice in a game that went to OT, scored clutch goals in their 4-1 comeback, etc.
Or you could look at zero goals vs Florida.

• Haha
Reactions: authentic

Roksta

Jul 27, 2011
Your team does not have a player in the same stratosphere as Matthews. So I don’t know why you are criticizing him so much.

And in the 8 years you've had this out of stratosphere player on your team they've been further in the playoff **check notes** 0 times more than his team, so who cares?

Reactions: Jeremy2020

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
They were awesome at the World Cup of Hockey as 18 year olds.

Gimmick team be damned. They were fun to watch.

McDavid with the automatic zone entry, Matthews with the deking on his knees.

Man, I remember that. So, many people were saying Matthews was just getting a marketing push making that team over players like Galchenyuk or that he was being spoonfed minutes due to the Tournament being in Toronto. Nah, he was that good right off the bat and earned it. Everything he's done since has shown it. That team had some crazy talent, and he and McDavid were two of their better players in there 1st and 2nd year in the league (well McDavid was the best player in the league his 2nd year). 3 of the 4 guys on that team are probably top 4 Hart votes this year and the likely Vezina winner.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
I thought this was impressive but has anyone seen Nate MacKinnon's GF on ice percentage? I mean in my day we called that +/- and dismissed the stat as silly but when Nate MacKinnon does it, it's the most important stat in herstory.

Yeah, Auston is money to win the Rocket but who cares. All he does is score goals that are mostly even strength.

Oh and he finishes top five in take aways every year and in block shots for forwards across the league.

But where are his fake/Dungeon & Dragons advanced stats...

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Congrats to Matthews on 69 goals.
Incredible feat.
I expect a few more rockets from him but there will always be challengers where luck plays in to it.

Let's see how he fares this playoffs and next regular season

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021

Total fiction. Tampa was a tired old dog and Matthews put up a few points against them because the pace was regular season-like. Once the playoffs actually started, in round 2, he pulled his usual complete no-show.

His failure to dump it in last night with the game on the line is a great example of this. He's completely no-showed 66% of the games this playoffs alone.

Your can't claim to be a generational star like him, and only show up in the playoffs every few games. That seems to be the legacy he is writing for himself.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Total fiction. Tampa was a tired old dog and Matthews put up a few points against them because the pace was regular season-like. Once the playoffs actually started, in round 2, he pulled his usual complete no-show.

His failure to dump it in last night with the game on the line is a great example of this. He's completely no-showed 66% of the games this playoffs alone.

Your can't claim to be a generational star like him, and only show up in the playoffs every few games. That seems to be the legacy he is writing for himself.

If Matthews only had the great Brady Tkachuk to guide him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad