Mar 10, 2013
The West
Gretzky
Lemieux
Bossy
Ovechkin
Matthews
Bobby Hull

In no particular order, those are the 6 best goal scorers in NHL history. Not necessarily in terms of career in AM's case (yet) but in terms of actual goal scoring ability.

Since you listed 6 might as well throw in Brett Hull. I can't see him not being amongst those names. Crazy a father and son being named.

*and honestly Phil Esposito too. So that's 8.

Reactions: Fatass

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Curious why you refer to it as 10th when he's actually tied for 8th and is the one who scored 51 actual goals at even strength?
He's in 10th. Slightly behind Esposito 1974 and Howe 1951, but I didn't bother showing decimal points in the table.

EDIT - I should also mention that the table is only a vague approximation. Adjusted stats have some degree of uncertainty in them. Nobody should be arguing that Phil Esposito > Auston Matthews because 51.1 > 51.0. That type of precision is impossible.

Last edited:
Reactions: authentic

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
He is the most prolific goal scorer in the NHL at this time for sure. Don't think he will ever reach the records that OV is going to likely set before he retires but he is the best goal scorer presently.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Same number of rockets as Ovie at the same point in their careers. Will be interesting to see how they match up from here. Ovie won 7 of the next 8 (and 4 in a row) starting from his 8th season (which Matthews is currently in).

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Bobby Hull and Wayne Gretzky were pretty damn good but he's certainly up there

If he keeps this up I think he’ll be regarded ahead of both of them for goal scoring. Might be jumping the gun to say it now. Probably more accurate is that he’s the best left-handed shooter of all time.

Mar 26, 2010
Matthews gets crazy underrated on here.

1713649877165.jpeg

Joseppi

Oct 12, 2008
Kepler-22b
As long as he can stay healthy, he'll be top 3 all time without question, possibly challenging the #1 spot. It's been incredible watching him evolve his game.

I'd love to see what he can do with a deep playoff run.

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Gretzky
Lemieux
Bossy
Ovechkin
Matthews
Bobby Hull

In no particular order, those are the 6 best goal scorers in NHL history. Not necessarily in terms of career in AM's case (yet) but in terms of actual goal scoring ability.
At minimum gotta add Richard, Howe, and Brett Hull to that list if Matthews is included.

Mar 26, 2010
Lol this guy is useless when he has to score against tough opponent in playoffs. Regular season goal scoring merchant.
He did hit a post tonight. The leafs also have to play real NHL teams in the playoffs. Not like the Edmonton Oilers who get to play bargain basement Caliber teams. It’s not the same.

Lou Sassole

Oct 15, 2020
Lol this guy is useless when he has to score against tough opponent in playoffs. Regular season goal scoring merchant.
I wish he would play more physically. He's a big strong dude, and could influence playoff games a lot more than just scoring, if he chose to.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Congrats Matthews!

What a stud and what an incredible season.

This is the best product the NHL has put on ice in years. Amazing seasons from kucherov, McDavid and Mackinnon, Matthews almost pots 70, fights are starting to come back, there’s hatred and anger and passion in the players ….. it’s been a dream season

I hope the league keeps it rolling like this

I wish he would play more physically. He's a big strong dude, and could influence playoff games a lot more than just scoring, if he chose to.

Matthews used to play more physical, he’s starting to put that back into his game a little bit

He hurt his shoulder in front of the net in year 2 or 3 and that’s when I noticed he started playing much less physically. Not sure if that’s coming from him nervous about injuring the shoulder, or if he’s being coached to not risk it.

Maybe doctors have advised the team his shoulder isn’t strong and will be easy to re-injure

• Love
Reactions: x Tame Impala

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
He did hit a post tonight. The leafs also have to play real NHL teams in the playoffs. Not like the Edmonton Oilers who get to play bargain basement Caliber teams. It’s not the same.
"Basement caliber teams" like when McDavid had 5 goals and 5 assists in 6 games against the Stanley Cup winning "not real NHL team" Golden Knights? Or Draisaitl with 6 goals and 1 assist in those 6 games?

I'm sure Matthews would score a ton of goals against bargain basement teams like that.

Mar 26, 2010
"Basement caliber teams" like when McDavid had 5 goals and 5 assists in 6 games against the Stanley Cup winning "not real NHL team" Golden Knights? Or Draisaitl with 6 goals and 1 assist in those 6 games?

I'm sure Matthews would score a ton of goals against bargain basement teams like that.
Leafs lose 1 game in the playoffs and all salt is out against Matthews. lol. Gotta love it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad