Injury Report: Matthews out minimum three weeks with knee sprain

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
You're aware of where the game is being held?

And? They already have a representative there. How does Barkov impact that event in any way? Nylander is on a team with a much larger fanbase and has way more personality than pudgy Barkov.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
In the next 3 weeks the Leafs have the All Star Break, Bye Week and play.....

Columbus x 2
Chicago x 2
vs Ottawa
vs Montreal
@ Buffalo

I don't think that is a coincidence.

Also, Buffalo has reverse splits, they are better on the road.
Are you trying to imply that the Leafs are taking advantage of a sparse schedule to rest one of their battered core players? Next you're gonna tell me nhl teams tank on purpose.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Leafs don't deserve the benefit of the doubt with any playoff scenario any more.

They've had a shit home record in the playoffs for ages now...

1-2 vs the Caps
2-1 vs the Bruins
1-2 vs the Bruins
2-3 vs the Blue Jackets (since they were all at home)
1-3 vs the Habs
2-2 vs the Bolts

Home ice for the Leafs does mean "f*** all" at this stage in the game IMO.

Do I prefer it? Sure, but they haven't earned the confidence with it.
Maybe you should calm yourself. There are only 5 leafs left from the caps series. This is just hyperbolic bs.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
And? They already have a representative there. How does Barkov impact that event in any way? Nylander is on a team with a much larger fanbase and has way more personality than pudgy Barkov.

Seems pretty obvious. Unless of course you believe that there is supposed to be some type of absolute meritocracy to an all star game.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario

He's the captain of the home team, it's the right decision to take him. But really who cares in the end.

And Rasmus Dahlin is way more deserving than Nylander for what it's worth.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
It means “f*** all”. Why bother having the playoffs if we just look at regular season stats. Presidents cup winner gets the cup every year and move on
This seems a tad overboard. Why bother having a regular season?

Playoffs carry more weight, the regular season matters and despite the Leafs failures, home ice is still a big deal in all sports including hockey.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Injuries alway suck. They should take their time with it, probably happened at the perfect time if you are going to have a knee sprain. Unless the leafs nosedive, there’s no reason to rush him. I wonder if this was a result of that play at the blue line in the third?

Guys will step up and take opportunities. Would like to see Holmberg with Willy and Jarnkrok.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
If the injury is a lingering injury that keeps him out a few months, say 3 months, it gives enough time and cap space to trade for say;

Miere and Karlsson with 50% retention. And still have cap space to add JT Miller with 50% retention this year with Schenn.

That would be a stout improvement for the playoffs.

I don't know what could be offered the other way but there would be some heavy lifting at the draft and summer.

But what a 3rd line

Meire (48 pts) , Miller (42 pts) with Kerfoot/Bunting ?

A 2nd group PP with Karlsson on the point

And a defensive stalwart and protector is Schenn.

And still have some space if a contract is moved.
There is no way you hold Matthews out 3 months to add additional players. Dude is the defending Hart trophy/best player in the league.

Have you looked at Karlsson's contract and injury history. He has caught lightning in a bottle as a 32 year old with 4 more years @ $11.5/season after this.

Then you want 29 year old Miller for 7 more years @ $8 million/season.

I guess you don't want to resign Auston or Willy...

Reactions: theguardianII

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
no-michael-scott.gif

Reactions: PromisedLand

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

It's the All Star game... does anyone really care about it anymore? I'd rather our guys take the time off, and be healthy and ready for the stretch run and playoffs... It's all about priorities.... a meaningless game most no longer care about or... rest? Ratings are dropping, it just seems like it's lost it's point.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
I don't know why so many are stressing. I love it. Take your time maybe the remainder of the season. Give the gm and capologist the ability to make some serious upgrades a la tampa bay.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
There is no way you hold Matthews out 3 months to add additional players. Dude is the defending Hart trophy/best player in the league.

Have you looked at Karlsson's contract and injury history. He has caught lightning in a bottle as a 32 year old with 4 more years @ $11.5/season after this.

Then you want 29 year old Miller for 7 more years @ $8 million/season.

I guess you don't want to resign Auston or Willy...
If San Jose keeps 50% on Karlsson that cuts down the amount an if they want to move on from him then they could retain 50% of the remainder taking the cap trade hit down to 2.75 million. That has trade value.

A danger is that Arizona will be just coming into their window for a cup and have an insane number of draft picks, prospects and cap space.

They will be on the cusp of becoming a playoff and cup contender. IF they signed Mathews there he would attract other top notch FA's and there would be line ups to buy tickets, especially in that dinky tool rink but guess what the new huge rink will be completed in 3 years, just about the time for a Mathews signing to fill the arena.

I am sure if the brain trust thinks Mathews will move on they will look into trade options

Miller could be traded before his new contract is certified in September

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
Even if they’re extra cautious and Matthews is out until the playoffs… then he starts the playoffs at 100%.

We might get next level Matthews.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Its ironic that Matthews feels 5-10 165 which is Marners size.....Marner feels 6-3 220 which is Matthews size. Matthews card gets called in the playoffs, which destroys the Leafs vibe. See MTL dman, Chariot that rag dolled him while Matthews looked like a 6th grader looking for help.

Even if they’re extra cautious and Matthews is out until the playoffs… then he starts the playoffs at 100%.

We might get next level Matthews.

Good time to call Mike Tyson to train him not to be the softest 603 220 guy in the NHL. Im not saying fight but when Konecny exposes u, its a problem.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I expect Matthews will return and light the league on fire, as it will hopefully give some rest to the other ailments he's suspected to have.

Zur En Arrh

Apr 16, 2022
Sucks to lose him for three weeks but it's built in narrative to use on the main boards to excuse his down season...silver lining baby!!!!! Matthews >>>Drai AINEC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad