Speculation: Matthew's happy with contract progress

When does he sign

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Just read it on sportsnet. He says he is letting agent deal with it and when his agent comes to him and says let's sign, then he will.

We heard dubas say he would like to do it before the deadline...so I've made a poll

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Leafs' Matthews encouraged by progress on contract extension talks - Sportsnet.ca
“They’re obviously talking and making some progress. And that’s great. I’m not really too worried or too focused about it,” Matthews said Wednesday, ahead of a showdown versus the Washington Capitals. “I let my agent kinda handle it. I don’t really talk to him much about it."

“If they get something done and my agent comes to me and says, ‘You know, I think we’re ready to sign,’ then we’ll sit down and figure it out. But for right now, my focus is here, on this team, on tonight’s game."

“When it’s ready, it’ll be there.”
Moldaver reiterated to Sportsnet earlier this month that Matthews has every wish to remain a Maple Leaf.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Watch...

He signs the contract. No more drama and worries.

He goes on a tear like the start of season.

Eats Advils like M&Ms for his alleged injury lol

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Watch...

He signs the contract. No more drama and worries.

He goes on a tear like the start of season.

Eats Advils like M&Ms for his alleged injury lol
I trust he is already on a liver transplant list. ;)

Can't wait to see the cap hit.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Matthews going to RFA is a much bigger worry than Marner simply due to the position. I'm very curious to see how the Rantanen, Laine, and Marner contracts shake out, and who signs first. Even if Marner is outplaying Matthews this year, Matthews due to position and prior history is a much bigger threat to get offer-sheeted at an unreasonable amount.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
So lets sign up the second dud of the big three? Harold Ballard is chortling, I can hear him.

Lets see how he does over a whole season and playoffs, why sign him up now? Its ******ed.

I think he is a dud, I have always said so, and its starting to tilt my way. Do not sign this guy, he has something wrong with his energy level and he has two troubled shoulders.

Get a Lindros package for the guy.

Same for Marner, his dad, is waaaay beyond Nylanders and we saw how Dubas bent over for that situation.

And then what? We don't stop until Connor Brown is our best player?

Reactions: NiftyMits

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Soon would be nice. If we got it done in the next few weeks that would set a key piece going forward.

Wouldn't shock me though that it drags on into the summer. They've been able to sign a deal for quite a long time. No rush or pressure on Matthews to sign anything until he sees a contract he wants. Will just have to see.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Dubas just needs to put 11 AAV for 8 in front of him and its done
The media will moan and cry that he should've or could've got more if he waited, but it would be a very fair and generous contract, especially if he truly cares about winning by not handcuffing the teams salary cap.

Yes 11m is a lot but the cap keeps going up and so do salaries (I love Drew Doughty but 11m?)

In 5 years Matthews will be a good contract for the team and we gotta pay some UFA years to get him to sign for 8 years .... last thing I want is a 3-4 year bridge and then will KILL us on a UFA contract or walk ala JT.

8 years and Matthews can rest easy about injuries and shoulder history is a littles sketch .... he's gotta do some TRX training on those shoulders ... strengthen the hell outta them and stay flexible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad