Speculation: Matthew Tkachuk MEGA Thread (informs Flames he will not sign long term)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
What’s in it for Tkachuk to sign an extension now and not just wait till he’s a UFA and has full control of the process.
He blows both his knees out next year and can’t skate anymore. Oh well , only misses out on about 70-80 MILLION DOLLARS .

Robert Thomas laughs at this
Why would he laugh at Tkachuk and Jack Hughes both cracking 100 points together ?

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
He blows both his knees out next year and can’t skate anymore. Oh well , only misses out on about 70-80 MILLION DOLLARS .

Why would he laugh at Tkachuk and Jack Hughes both cracking 100 points together ?

Because he said MT wouldn’t ever crack 100 points without Johnny

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
he is unlikely to get another 100pt season without johnny in CGY.
Right now he will cash in like never ever again.

I fully agree with you.

If he agrees he can get an 8 year deal, sign and trade.

This help the Flames get a little more, this help the team acquiring him keep the cap down and this help Tkachuk get an extra year at a high salary.

Some team may throw $84 million for 8 years at him.

Reactions: radioactivenuts

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I thought you meant that Tkachuk is signing in St.Louis ( Thomas reference ) for sure and I was just trying to be funny and insinuate that he will sign in NJ instead .

My bad. I wasn’t paying very close attention. Just skimming through

radioactivenuts

Jan 9, 2020
Because he said MT wouldn’t ever crack 100 points without Johnny
He said without Johnny "in Calgary"

He ain't stupid and knows that if he stays in Calgary his numbers are more likely to drop than rise. aka if he walks as a UFA he is also likely to get less than now

skilles

Jun 23, 2012
I fully agree with you.

If he agrees he can get an 8 year deal, sign and trade.

This help the Flames get a little more, this help the team acquiring him keep the cap down and this help Tkachuk get an extra year at a high salary.

Some team may throw $84 million for 8 years at him.
Or if he has decided on the Blues he can just refuse to sign a contract making his new team worse then sign a new contract when he gets there. It may really hurt Calgary that MT has huge inside connections with a couple teams.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
This is just for the fun of it but:

CGY trades: Tkachuk, Andersson, Pelletier

TB trades: Point, Killorn, Myers

Calgary gets an elite #1C that can be a 90+ point guy and a proven playoff performer also a hometown kid, a top 6 two-way winger that can score 20g and 50p, and a #5/6 RHD that could turn things around

Tampa gets an elite top line winger that will add grit and scoring ability to the top 6, a top 4 RHD for their weakest position, and a great prospect on an ELC for 2 more years that can take a roster spot this season
Why would Point accept to go to CGY

• Haha
Reactions: jellybeans

Deaner

Oct 9, 2011
Very lopsided in Tampa's favour. CGY trades their best F, best D, best prospect. Far-fetched.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Or if he has decided on the Blues he can just refuse to sign a contract making his new team worse then sign a new contract when he gets there. It may really hurt Calgary that MT has huge inside connections with a couple teams.

Anyway you cut it, the Calgary Flames are going to get f***ed in this situation.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Still not even a peep about what teams are in on him or what’s going on. Nothing . Very odd that none of the insiders don’t have any leads at all. I know most of them are on summer holidays but still. You’d think someone would make a move or spill the beans.

I was hoping some team might make a transaction to make room for Tkachuk but nope…….

Someone posted gambling odds off of fairly known gambling site on what team he would sign with lol. I wonder what they are currently at ?
Im putting $1000 down on the Thrashers

Anyway you cut it, the Calgary Flames are going to get f***ed in this situation.
I thought this too, but the more I think about it …maybe not.
If a team panics and overpays / outbids themselves , Flames could come out of this possibly better than before ( after 2-3 years).
Example - Devils give Calgary Bratt Foote 2023 1st . Bratt win the top of the league in 5vs5 effectiveness . He was very close to a PPG player while having crappy linemates at times ( Johnson Zacha Tatar ). He made everyone he played with better and can drive play from the wing.
Add in Foote (big bodied kid with a NHL ready shot ) and a 1sr round pick in a very deep draft? I would say it has potential to be a win long term.

Last edited:

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Stricklands opinion and take that Tkachuk will be a Blue for the 2023-24 season. Essentially Tkachuk will not extend with anyone but St.Louis . If Calgary and St.Louis cannot make a trade , Tkachuk plays for Calgary until the TDL or full season then goes to St.Louis as a UFA.
I get it from St.Loius’s point of view. No way they can trade Kyrou when they can wait a year and get him for zero assets and when they have cap room.
I have a feeling Tkachuk only wants St.Louis and these other teames on a list where he would sign is BS.
If that’s the case he goes to the highest bidder. They won’t go into the season with him. It would be totally funny if he had to play in Buffalo or Arizona. Or just because of taxes and the fact it is the most non American team if we sent him the Montreal

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
If that’s the case he goes to the highest bidder. They won’t go into the season with him. It would be totally funny if he had to play in Buffalo or Arizona. Or just because of taxes and the fact it is the most non American team if we sent him the Montreal
I wonder what the holdup is? Calgary deciding what to do, or teams trying to see if they can move cap if needed. Or Calgary waiting until the last minute before the Arbitration date to see if any teams up their offer?
You would think that maybe some teams get impatient and pull their offer because they are potentially missing out on other moves ( Bjorkstrand deal) while waiting on wtf the Flames are doing

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Brady and Matt are currently in Brielle NJ, Brady's new fiance is from NJ so this likely means nothing. It's just funny

1658533724429.png

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
I think NJ will be very motivated to get Tkachuk. They have been a bottom feeder team for too long and there’s a lot of pressure for them to improve. They have the assets to go get him and the cap space to sign him. I believe they already offered the 2nd OV pick for him. They went after Gaudreau and missed out. They need an impact player, preferably with size. They need Tkachuk more than any other team in the running. So I would bet on Jersey to get him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad