Prospect Info: Matthew Stienburg (C/RW), 63rd overall

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Teams like continuity, and I think if we have learned anything from Sakic, he likes to evaluate all sides of things prior to acting on it. Bleackley was just the straw the broke the camel's back. It was a miss too far and too big for him to remain.

Yeah, and at times his methodical approach has really bitten him and organization in the ass. There are times swift and decisive action is necessary, and "continuity" should've been thrown out the window there. I could understand it with Chynoweth, given the farm club was utter shit, but it made no sense to keep a guy around they clearly didn't trust to begin with.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
IIRC someone wrote an article about him taking the summer off and not training after getting drafted. Does anyone else remember that?
I mean, he allegedly showed up to training camp looking like this...

CRWPEHyUsAA4b8b

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah, and at times his methodical approach has really bitten him and organization in the ass. There are times swift and decisive action is necessary, and "continuity" should've been thrown out the window there. I could understand it with Chynoweth, given the farm club was utter shit, but it made no sense to keep a guy around they clearly didn't trust to begin with.
No org will be perfect, I do hope they learn lessons from mistakes. Somedays I think they have, somedays I don't... we won't know for years following many of those decisions.

Reactions: Pokecheque

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It isn't rocket science... not enough work ethic, big head who thought he knew it all, off ice questions, etc. Top that with some injuries and he just never took a step. The big miss was the off the ice and work ethic where Pracey thought he was great... it was seen through early into his first camp and instead of correcting, he went down the wrong path.
I don't disagree but during his draft year he did a great job hiding all those aspects to the fans and scouts including me; the coaches loved him, he was captain of the team, and posted fantastic numbers. After that it fell off a cliff and him getting resigned from the captaincy the following year pretty much showed what happened behind the scenes.

IIRC someone wrote an article about him taking the summer off and not training after getting drafted. Does anyone else remember that?
I can't remember his username, but there is a HFBoard poster of one of the western Canadian teams who played with him in the Dub and he quoted him saying "I got drafted as a 1st rounder and I didn't even work out lol".

Last edited:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I can't remember his username, but there is a HFBoard poster of one of the western Canadian teams who played with him in the Dub and he quoted him saying "I got drafted as a 1st rounder and I didn't even work out lol".
Yeah I knew there was something along those lines. Thanks!

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
His second camp was better than his first lol. He actually had a good first fall too. But it’s not worth getting into lol. I could write at least 2000 words about what happened but it’s not worth it.

I would actually love to read a 2000+ word report on why Bleakley failed. It seemed like he massively fooled the hockey world as he was known to be close to a sure thing/safe pick that was supposed to be a hard working leader.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I always believed in him.
I wouldn't say I always believed in him but I sure as heck never wrote him off like many did right from day one on draft day. People should learn to be patient with prospects. I know the Avs don't have a good record with prospects after the 1st round but I always want to give the kids a chance. It is hard sometimes when your team make picks like Heard and Anderson but we can still hate the picks without writing them off.

That said he hasn't proven anything yet. Let's see if he finishes the season strong and then in the AHL. He sure is having himself a great season though. Good on him especially after not playing for so long. Hopefully he can turn into a good 3rd line two-way player for the Avs.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I mean, he allegedly showed up to training camp looking like this...

CRWPEHyUsAA4b8b
This guy pisses me off. Pastrnak was right f***in there.

We probably wouldn't be paying as much attention to a prospect like this but given some of the drama that surrounded his eventual selection I imagine we're all just curious as to whether there's anything there.
Hes part of the Duchene trade tree aint he?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad