Prospect Info: Matthew Robertson, LD, 2nd round, 49th overall, 2019

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
Who was the better prospect at the time of the draft Robertson or Lundkvist?
Consensus higher for Robertson so I guess him. Robertson seems like more of a sure thing whereas Lundkvist was more of a boom-bust pick. Robertson should be a good defensive defensemen but his offensive upside might not be as high.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Consensus higher for Robertson so I guess him. Robertson seems like more of a sure thing whereas Lundkvist was more of a boom-bust pick. Robertson should be a good defensive defensemen but his offensive upside might not be as high.

So a taller Stralman?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Sometimes there is no reason. Just each of the teams in the first 48 picks thought there was at least one player there who would be a better pick.

Yeah. It’s the kind of thing where it’s completely possible that 10 different teams got to their selection and he was #2 on their board. You gotta figure that’s the same kind of thing that happened to Kaliyev, Brink and Lavoie.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I'd rather not have a Ranger defense full of smallish offensive D. Half is okay--you also need to have a couple/three bigger guys who focus more on defending and having presence in and around our own crease area. Yeah--it's good if they skate and move the puck well though. Like anything there are variables that a player can bring whether he's a puck moving D or a crease clearing penalty killer. We need all of that and Robertson looks like he might be more of a higher end version of the crease clearing penalty killer with a bit of a two way game--which kind of puts him in the same wheelhouse as Skjei, Hajek and Rykov.

AFAIC this was a great pick.....though we do seem to have lots of LD prospects.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Teams with a glut of defensemen often find those guys have high values around the league should they choose to trade them.

Value always brings value. I can’t stress that enough.

It is significantly easier to deal from a log jam, if that log jam is comprised of quality players, than it is to try and turn from a pool that is diverse, but inferior.

Reactions: NYR Viper

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Value always brings value. I can’t stress that enough.

It is significantly easier to deal from a log jam, if that log jam is comprised of quality players, than it is to try and turn from a pool that is diverse, but inferior.
Totally. Also, makes it MUCH easier to include a Hajek/Rykov/Reunanen/Själin in a big deal when you’ve got another wave coming behind them.

Only concern is if you acquire SO many of them you start having teams trying to get ‘em for $0.80 on the dollar because they know you’ve got RFAs getting ready to flee back to Europe because there’s no room. Not there yet, but IMO it would behoove the team to now start thinking about deals where one of the older prospects are part of the value going the other way and/or are moving for forward prospects of a like status.

Reactions: belford222

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Totally. Also, makes it MUCH easier to include a Hajek/Rykov/Reunanen/Själin in a big deal when you’ve got another wave coming behind them.

Only concern is if you acquire SO many of them you start having teams trying to get ‘em for $0.80 on the dollar because they know you’ve got RFAs getting ready to flee back to Europe because there’s no room. Not there yet, but IMO it would behoove the team to now start thinking about deals where one of the older prospects are part of the value going the other way and/or are moving for forward prospects of a like status.

I think there will be a gap there.

These kids will turn pro 2-3 years down the line.

That puts our current 21/22 year old kids at 23-24 years of age and beyond their ELCs.

Assuming some of them are still with the organization, which they all won’t be, I think the Rangers will have a pretty good idea of what they have.

If they don’t, there a bigger problem and it won’t matter who we have coming up through the system.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I think there will be a gap there.

These kids will turn pro 2-3 years down the line.

That puts our current 21/22 year old kids at 23-24 years of age and beyond their ELCs.

Assuming some of them are still with the organization, which they all won’t be, I think the Rangers will have a pretty good idea of what they have.

If they don’t, there a bigger problem and it won’t matter who we have coming up through the system.
Right, but then you’ve also got Miller, Ragnarsson, Gross, (Kjellberg) in that gap, and I didn’t even mention Lindgren as one of the older guys. Time to start caging some of those chips, IMO. Honestly, if I’m an opposing GM, I’m already thinking I can try to get a Ragnarsson, for example, as a throw-in for virtually no value. (“Yeah, throw in Ragnarsson and I’ll do it.”)

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Right, but then you’ve also got Miller, Ragnarsson, Gross, (Kjellberg) in that gap, and I didn’t even mention Lindgren as one of the older guys. Time to start caging some of those chips, IMO. Honestly, if I’m an opposing GM, I’m already thinking I can try to get a Ragnarsson, for example, as a throw-in for virtually no value. (“Yeah, throw in Ragnarsson and I’ll do it.”)

Not really too concerned there.

Miller has a good chance to jump right to the NHL at this rate. And he’d still be a few years ahead of this group.

Gross is not someone I see as a roadblock right now.

Lindgren will be 23 or 24 by then - the same age as Skjei was to start next season.

Ditto for Hajek.

Rykov is potentially 25 at that point - as old as Trouba.

Staal, Smith and Shatty are gone.

And again, this is assuming everyone hits on their potential, which is incredibly optimistic.

I’m not really worried.

Reactions: Leetch3

Ad

Upcoming events

• Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,420.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain