Matthew Rempe’s hit on Trevor Van Riemsdyk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Looked like he hit the head with his shoulder. Not sure how rempe can fix that being so much taller but is what it is. Been taller then most people I play with and I’ve never gotten an elbow call, granted these guys are playing at warp speed. NY Welcome to having an edge player, you will now have a thread every time he does anything the same as Tom Wilson. Eventually you’ll get use to rempe getting phantom calls in the future. Wilson gets at least 1 every couple games.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
first, that hit was not a penalty.

but i would take the rempe/wilson trade off every time. wilson is one of the caps best offensive players. rempe plays under 10 minutes a game. wilson doesn't score if he's in the box.

as far as ovi trucking people, i am going to be objective here, but he seems completely checked out right now and looks gassed. i don't know that he's got that right now.

as far as mcIlrath, there's no way to lose there either. the underfaker is 32 years old and hasn't played 80 nhl games,and it's because he's not good. please put that guy out there as much as possible.

but if he wants to put his team short another dman when you are already this depleted, go right ahead. i am sure carlson won't mind playing 40 minutes a night while dillie shows everyone how tough he is.

the nhl can't sit there and market rempe the way they are and then penalize him for doing it. pick a lane and take it. either hockey is a physical contact game or its not. there's a reason every person on the broadcast said it was a clean hit.

it's because it was a clean, hard hit.

Reactions: phillyb

Il Stugotz

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
44 miles from Chicago
I’ve never fully understood how charging gets called. Now I know this was interference, but if I had to pick a clip out of a lineup of videos, this is what I assume would be charging. Guess I still don’t understand it lol

It’s not your fault. The rule is poorly written and inconsistently enforced. The jumping part is the only thing that’s really clear.

But otherwise:
You can’t skate into an opponent in any manner? That’s obviously not enforced.
Charging means you can’t charge into an opponent? Circular, useless language.
“Distance traveled” and “Violently check” are pretty vague. How much distance? What’s the bright line between a violent and nonviolent check?

IMG_3537.jpeg

The rule might as well read “Charging: You know it when you see it.”

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Reading through 6 pages wtfs me a bit. Its basically every post saying ”lol Caps whining for a clean hit” and pretty much zero posts about Caps fans actually whining or even participating.

Im pretty sure most of Caps fan base agree it was clean(ish). It indeed is a ”textbook” Tom Wilson hit. We were agreeing this is clean from far before Rempe was anywhere close to NHL hockey. There is double standardism here, but i dont see it coming from Caps camp.

I like Rempe, enjoy him Rangers fans.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
nice hard hit. that's playoff hockey.

both feet are allowed to come off the ice after contact.
It’s a given that on every big hit that some fans object to that someone will say he left his feet to make the hit. When 95% of the time the feet come off ice after contact. Some People just see what they want to see.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I’m fine with the interference call, I don’t see anything else. I do feel that it’s borderline not too long to hit someone, but I wouldn’t fight it.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Rempe rules were applied. This kid gets called every time he lays someone out. Any other player and its a no-call, keep your head up son.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Being big isn't a blank cheque to hit guys late, from their blindside, and to the head. Rempe has probably been the biggest guy on the ice his whole life. If he's too stupid to learn how to hit guys while being big that's his fault, not the refs.

"Blindside" yet the hit was to his front. OK.

Attachments

• HIT.JPG
    HIT.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 2

nyrallday

Apr 23, 2024
And not for nothing, some of you guys would have been crying in a fetal position every night if you watched hockey in the 80s and 90s. Some of the comments here, really sad. In another few years they will probably ban hitting in hockey due to all the crying and whining and then it will really be unwatchable. It's already tough to watch with all the bullshit, don't take away one of the only good things about it because you can't handle some violence.

He needs to be handled before he takes out half the league.

IDGAF how big he is.
I love it

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
"Blindside" yet the hit was to his front. OK.
every hit is a blindside when players decide not to look in the direction they are skating. genuinely unbelievable how often players in this league do not look where they are going and then ppl wanna bitch when these players get lit up.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Ladies and gentlemen, it's 2024. You don't get to "finish your check" like this anymore. Especially when it's 100% predatory, like this hit. I want hockey players to have long, healthy careers. I want them to not die before their time from CTE. That's why hockey is eliminating this shit from the game.

This hit is made 20x per playoff game.....

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
It's a tad late. But it's the same type you see from other players. If Rempe is 5'10, this doesn't get called. But it's always going to look worse when you have a 6'8 player doing that, and if you're a ref, you probably see a higher chance of injury with a player that size so you try to prevent it from happening again by calling the penalty.

I don't want to see players get hurt and when you're that size you probably need a bit more situational awareness. Maybe it's unfair but that's the way it's going to be. I think it's a borderline 2 min minor, but all the talk about getting more than that last night was a bit ridiculous.

Last edited:

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
It’s not your fault. The rule is poorly written and inconsistently enforced. The jumping part is the only thing that’s really clear.

But otherwise:
You can’t skate into an opponent in any manner? That’s obviously not enforced.
Charging means you can’t charge into an opponent? Circular, useless language.
“Distance traveled” and “Violently check” are pretty vague. How much distance? What’s the bright line between a violent and nonviolent check?

View attachment 860456

The rule might as well read “Charging: You know it when you see it.”
Deliberately vague to allow for subjective determinations based on each specific incident. There’s really no way to write a rule that draws an absolute line between clean and illegal hits. Problem often is the refs/toronto get the subjective evaluation wrong or are incredibly inconsistent.

He needs to be handled before he takes out half the league.

IDGAF how big he is.
Yup. He’s got the size to decimate a playoff opponent and either you find a way to impact him physically OR you go after Breadman, Zib, etc. and make it very clear what his actions result in.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Such a man that he p***yed out in front of Wilson.

Don't act tough if you can't walk the walk.
He was at the end of a shift, in a game where we were winning. Unlike Wilson, Rempe isn't an idiot.

I'm sure Wilson and Rempe will go at in game 4 if it gets out of hand and then Tom Wilson will subsequently retire after having half his body beaten into the ice.

The scary part is, Rempe is going to be bigger and stronger next season. Can't wait.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Such a man that he p***yed out in front of Wilson.

Don't act tough if you can't walk the walk.
He doesn't need to fight Wilson. What's the point? The Rangers were up in the game, up in the series. A fight could only give Washington juice.

If Wilson still wants to fight once the series is decided, I'm sure Rempe will be more than happy to accommodate him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad