Matthew Rempe’s hit on Trevor Van Riemsdyk

Status
Not open for further replies.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Right on the limit of being late. A bit predatory in nature so I guess a minor for interference is a good call. TvR should also know better by now. I like that it was called and I like that it was only a minor penalty. All good.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
It was "by the textbook", a clean-ish hit. The real question is that should it be?

TVR probably got a severe concussion from that (IE out for series) and Rempe only had to serve 2min. I have no dog in this fight, but it sure seems like a legit tactic that is never punished enough by the league. At some point, the severity of the impact needs to necessitate a 5min major.

My god, what a brutal hit. Scary to imagine that happening to yourself.

Reactions: gump116

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
It was "by the textbook", a clean-ish hit. The real question is that should it be?

TVR probably got a severe concussion from that (IE out for series) and Rempe only had to serve 2min. I have no dog in this fight, but it sure seems like a legit tactic that is never punished enough by the league. At some point, the severity of the impact needs to necessitate a 5min major.

My god, what a brutal hit. Scary to imagine that happening to yourself.
So he should get a major because he is bigger than the average NHL player and his legal hits hurt more?

And nothing there indicated he got a "severe concussion". He didn't even look injured after the hit.

Il Stugotz

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
44 miles from Chicago
They could start actually enforcing the charging rule they already have in the rulebook. But if they do that, it should apply to everyone, not just Rempe.

I argued for a stricter charging standard starting from when Patrick Kaleta was running guys from the other end of the rink but no one has ever really cared

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
hockey is a physical sport. there’s always a risk of being injured. just because a player hits hard doesn’t mean he should be penalized as long as the hits are legal. there’s nothing wrong with predatory hits if they’re done in a legal manner. if a player wants to admire his pass, he needs to realize he’s lisble to get clocked. it would be wrong for a player to not hit the guy just staring away.

especially when we’re talking about a best of 7 series, you’re trying to wear down the opposition. not only are they aching but they play scared and may not puck handle optimally. it’s what helps keep speedy teams in check.

if you don’t like these kind of hits, just admit you don’t like hitting in hockey. vicious but clean hits are the best kind of hits.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
It's a little bit late, but there has been a ton of late hits gone uncalled so far these playoffs.

I don't see anything worthy of suspension or supplemental discipline imo.
Pretty much this. Definitely could have been 2mins like it was called but no way this is looked at further

Reactions: Profet and hirawl

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Not thread worthy and not even minor worthy. Clean. Embarrassing call by stripes.

This is why matt rempe is incredibly valuable, dmen cant handle these hits. If Carolina plays brett pesce and his bum shoulder then how long is he lasting with rempe nuking him on every dump in? 1 period?

GG96

Feb 21, 2020
IMG_3003.jpeg

This is where they tell you that Rempe left his feet and extended his elbow. Never mind the evidence. They have their feelings

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
3 former NHLers on live TV, one of them the best to ever put on a pair of skates said it was a clean hit and there's really dunce caps on here saying it wasn't

HF gonna HF

Refs are trying their hardest to have the entire first round be NBA scores as the league partners up with DraftKings and the entire universe had the Under on this game :shocker:

Too bad for them that there's not enough power plays in the world that could help the Caps score more than 2 goals

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Late hit, interference, 2 minutes.
Didn’t leave his feet.
But he injured him, with his late hit. So I can understand both sides from “finish your checks” to “intend to injure.”
In the 90’s that wasn’t a penalty but nowadays we know about the damage head shots cause.
Do we want to see injuries or not, that is the question. With great power comes great responsibility. Rempe plays irresponsible, but “by the book.”

Nevertheless TVR should be aware of his surroundings if he doesn’t want to get hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad