Value of: Matt Roy next contract

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
With the cap actually going up by a relevant number the next few years anything less than 6M would be shocking. Top 4 RD are already in high demand. defensively reliable ones are even higher. Look at what Severson got, I imagine it will be about the same.
I would not put money on that with the local revenur problems with many teams on bally sports/RSzn fall out.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Thats some don’t understand. I tried.

No playoff team is going to weak their backend.

You play 82 games to get into the playoffs. Oh wait, lets trade our 2nd/3rd defenseman for some picks.

Great signal.
Ya goal is to win a cup, if you’re a playoff team it’s very unlikely you’re going to purposely make the team worse.

Reactions: go4hockey

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Wanted LA to deal Roy at the deadline. See some posters saying it made no sense given they are a playoff team. I think Black needed to look at the club and ask if they were winning anything as constructed. Plus they have Clarke to back fill. I get his is not as polished or defensively responsible as Roy, but still think it would have made sense.....if they could have got good value for him

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Yup and most likely LA will be eliminated quickly but so are 24 other teams.
Or you plug in Clarke and take your chances. Roy is a good defender but huge missed opportunity to move him out at a premium price. Especially for a team destined for a first round exit or maybe just a first round victroy.

I get why they did it I just don't agree that this was the year for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: dman3474 and YP44

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The irony being LA may not even be a playoff team with Roy

Imagine how those posts above look if LA is three points off

THAT is why you trade him

I've said before I wouldn't have for those very same reasons but to act like it would have been folly to move him isn't very reasonable.

Reactions: LAKings88

Ledge And Dairy

Who exactly is this younger UFA we should be targeting?

The Sharks need a real top-4 defensemen. We cannot go through another season with seven #5-7D and saddling Mukhamadullin with a terrible partner is not the way to develop him.
Alex Carrier comes to mind as an obvious one.

The issue with going after Roy is the term he will want. If you are looking for experienced players grab some vets to be short term commitments like Brodie, Cole, or Martinez. None of those players are going to get more than 3 years from anyone. Then there will also be teams looking to dump cap. Abuse that and you could add someone like Ceci or Schmidt

• Haha
Reactions: Grinner

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Thats what some don’t understand. I tried.

You play 70 to 82 games to get into the playoffs. Oh wait, lets trade our 2nd/3rd best defenseman for some picks.

Great signal.
This is Hockey's Future...I notice that many LA fans on the site have taken that to its logical extreme.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Hopefully he's the top target for Staios and the Sens.

Personally I'd go as high as $6.5X6 and worry about the last 2 years of the contract when we get there. Too many teams are in need of a quality top-four RD for me to envision him going for anything less than $5.5X5 and there's usually a tax to get these guys to sign for small market Canadian teams.

If Montour re-ups in Florida as assumed the list of top-four RHD available in UFA is going to be extremely short (5-6 names tops) and I wouldn't be surprised if all of them get eye popping deals.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Wouldn't be TOO shocked given he has a young child

But he's a Michigan boy thru and thru

Hard dude to get a read on as far as personality, very cool and mellow guy, doesn't rock the boat, seems loved by his teammates judging by shirts and jokes, just an ideal 2nd pairing guy, steady...him and Gavrikov were unstoppable until Gavy's knee injury, now they're a little shaky on that side, he ideally needs someone a little faster and better with the puck particularly as both dudes get older.
Matt Roy sounds like he was created in a lab to be Simon Edvinsson's partner in Detroit.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
He's going to be in very high demand due to great defensive ability combined with puck moving skills. I think every team in the league could use a guy like him.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
No, just the opposite.

Philly traded Walker under the exact same circumstances

The major difference being that Briere has job security and Blake is on the hottest of hot seats.

Could turn out to be the wrong move for the franchise but there was some self preservation going on.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Thats what some don’t understand. I tried.

You play 70 to 82 games to get into the playoffs. Oh wait, lets trade our 2nd/3rd best defenseman for some picks.

Great signal.
Yes, but there is another season after this doomed playoff run.

We don't need Roy to be removed in round 1, but we desperately need 1st rounder draft picks

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00