Player Discussion Matt Rempe - See Mod Note Post 769

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA
I loved this ending to Brook’s article:

He is the kind of force who always wound up playing for the Broad Street Bullies or the Big Bad Bruins but has somehow landed on Broadway.

No one, but no one, in New York feels the slightest need to apologize for it

This is the vibe right here, no apologies needed and no f***s given

tlk

Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
I loved this ending to Brook’s article:

He is the kind of force who always wound up playing for the Broad Street Bullies or the Big Bad Bruins but has somehow landed on Broadway.

No one, but no one, in New York feels the slightest need to apologize for it

This is the vibe right here, no apologies needed and no f***s given

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
Heck, Rempe standing in front of the net is going to wear dmen out. When he's on thr ice and we have the puck in the o zone it's a net multiplier effect. That will matter in a longer series down the road.

We've had to deal with the Czikas Martin Clutterbuck type lines for way too long. It's nice to finally have our own version with Goodrow Rempe Vesey.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
The captain with some nice words

"There's a lot of the narrative out there, but he's just a big kid having fun playing hockey," captain Jacob Trouba said. "That's what we see in the locker room: The smiles. I guess (the media) sees it a little bit in the interviews − just his attitude, how grateful he is to be in this position and play hockey, his story, everything that goes into who he is.

"We have a ton of respect for him in our room. I think the players love him. He's been a big part of our team, a big part of momentum, a big part of just the attitude and the energy around the Rangers recently. That's a lot to carry for someone like him, but I think he's done a great job of it. He plays hard. He's a guy that I'll take on my team any day of the week. I think you'll hear every guy in the room say that."

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State

Matt Rempe may be NHL’s villain, but he’s vital for Rangers

WASHINGTON — The NHL’s Public Enemy No. 1 took a seat in his stall in the back corner of the room following his team’s optional practice Saturday and drew chuckles from the assembled audience by spinning a tale about being killed 68 times in Halo by Chris Kreider following the previous night’s Game 3. The Rempe Police probably would have been horrified by the scene. The vigilant constables want this 6-foot-8¹/₂ menace in cuffs. They think he is too big. They think he hits too hard. They think the Rangers should not be allowed to have a player like this who does not assume the position just because that’s the way it’s always kind of been done,

It’s unfortunate that Trevor van Riemsdyk sustained an injury on the hit he took from Rempe that was called interference midway through the first period, but the blow in fact was probably legal — and hardly venal. It happens all the time with a player taking a hit a half-second after releasing the puck, but it’s not routine for that hit to be delivered by a player of that size and who skates with that force. That hit, in fact, is The Rempe and doing The Rempe has the Rangers up 3-0 in their first-round series seeking to complete the sweep over the Caps and move on to Round 2. The series has been less a demonstration of sheer skill than focused will for the Presidents’ Trophy winners, who have maintained their attention through a 180-minute taffy pull in which time and space has expectedly been at a premium.

Remember when it appeared it might be too risky for head coach Peter Laviolette to have Rempe in the lineup for the playoffs if No. 73 were picking up undisciplined penalties and couldn’t be trusted on the ice? The Rangers have won their last 12 games with Rempe in the lineup. The Rangers are 17-2-1 overall with Rempe in the lineup since he made his debut in the outdoor game Feb. 18. There is value there and it is palpable and the Rangers are riding his wave.

“If you’ve watched him from when he first got here to now, even when he practices with us, it’s just completely different,” Laviolette said. “There’s lots of things he brings to the table so we need to make sure he’s on the ice as well. “He’s been a really effective player for us. He’s elevating his game. He’s done it on through his physicality, he’s done it with fighting when he’s had to. There are a lot of conversations that go with Matt. He’s a great young kid, a great young player at the beginning of his career. “We’re constantly talking to him and staying with him, communicating with him. I think he can continue to develop.”

Rempe said he watches all of his hits. The 21-year-old emphasized the importance of remaining compact and keeping his elbow tucked. He broke down the check on van Riemsdyk and called it “clean, went through his body,” while expressing regret for the injury, saying, “Obviously, I don’t want to see anyone get hurt, that’s terrible. “I want to be very physical. It’s a staple of my game,” he said. “I can skate good and get in there on the forecheck and make those checks. That’s what I’ve got to do.”

Rempe fought three times in his first four NHL games, five in his first seven after having been invited to dance by some of the league’s most notorious throwers of haymakers. There was Matt Martin, there was Nicolas Deslauriers, there was Ryan Reaves. The Rangers freshman was going through a rite of passage. But the need for that from Rempe has kind of passed and he knows it. He has fought only once in his last 13 contests, that the April 3 appointment bout with Kurtis MacDermid that became part of a line brawl.

The young man no longer accepts all invitations. He turned away from Dylan McIlrath toward the end of Game 1 when the defenseman challenged Rempe. He incensed (the always level-headed) Tom Wilson when he wouldn’t drop the gloves with No. 43 after the blow sent van Riemsdyk to the room.

Wah!

“I think it’s a learning process,” Rempe said, “because now I’m trying to pick my spots, trying to gain momentum. ‘Are we up, what’s the series like, is that needed there?’ It’s that type of thing. “It’s hard to say no sometimes if that makes sense, but I’m learning. I’ve got to pick my spots. Our job as a team is to win and I’ve got to make sure I do right by the team, always.”

Rempe is aware of the noise he has created across the continent. He is good with the good, he is good with the bad. He is Content Rempe living the life. He is the kind of force who always wound up playing for the Broad Street Bullies or the Big Bad Bruins but has somehow landed on Broadway.

No one, but no one, in New York feels the slightest need to apologize for it.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
34158843._SX540_.jpg

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
He had a fine series but, provided Chytil is ready, it's time to take him out of the lineup for the series against Carolina. Can't risk the penalties against them and have a guy in the lineup who has zero special teams role that gets benched in the third period when the game is close.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
He had a fine series but, provided Chytil is ready, it's time to take him out of the lineup for the series against Carolina. Can't risk the penalties against them and have a guy in the lineup who has zero special teams role that gets benched in the third period when the game is close.
Yeah. I agree. He was the right guy for the caps series. Not for Carolina though. He’s great in the O zone but he has much work to do in the D zone.

Reactions: LeetchisGod

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Not sure Laviolette is ready to take him out of the lineup. When speaking of Chytil you'd want him slotting into the 3C so the question then is are we dropping Wennberg down to the 4th line? Back to Matthew. He's taken a minor in 3 of the 6 games. He also got a hit in per minute he played and some of them shook the building and the Caps. Wilson arguably the Caps best player throughout the series even tried to pick a fight with our 4th line player easily getting the least amount of minutes and it's because of the impact Rempe was having in that small amount of ice time. The hit on TVR absolutely had an effect on the Caps the rest of the game.....was questionable as a penalty as was the first penalty Rempe took in game No. 1 but also its attrition felt by the other team and not by us and I don't think the Canes have an answer for Rempe beyond their power play and they might not get the calls on borderline penalties like the Caps did.

Getting hit by Rempe hurts. One of the Canes biggest strengths is their D corps and D tend to take the brunt of Rempe's rampaging. He will also be an issue for them in front of Andersen. I'd keep him in for now just because of the havoc he causes for the other team. It's likely going to be a 6/7 game series and if you can beat up the other side your team is more likely to win.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Playing time today (active players)

Matt Rempe 5:39
Jericho Sims 0
Alec Burks 0
Shake Milton 0
Daquan Jeffries 0
Mamadi Diakite 0

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad