Matt Pelech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phanuthier*

I've never seen the kid play, but I've tried to gather every bit of info on him as I could. Pelech seems to be a defensive stalewart, huge (6'4 to 6'5, and just a day over 17 years old - hopefully grow to 6'6 or 6'7), physical but mobile (which is rare) and his best attributes are his character and personality, and just a guy with a real good head on his shoulders.

If what I'm reading is true, Pelech would have been taken alot higher had he not gotten those two freak injuries (both broken jaws) - and that when he came back, he was far below playing weight because of his broken jaws. Pelech seems to be your stereotypical darkhorse, a guy nobody really knows about, but has some pretty fine upside - kind of like last year's pick, Kris Chucko - Pelech has been compared to a more mobile version of Robyn Regehr, while Chucko, from what I read and yes I do think it is a little unrealistic, is compared to Iginla.

What his actual ranking is, I don't know.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Phanuthier said:
I've never seen the kid play, but I've tried to gather every bit of info on him as I could. Pelech seems to be a defensive stalewart, huge (6'4 to 6'5, and just a day over 17 years old - hopefully grow to 6'6 or 6'7), physical but mobile (which is rare) and his best attributes are his character and personality, and just a guy with a real good head on his shoulders.

If what I'm reading is true, Pelech would have been taken alot higher had he not gotten those two freak injuries (both broken jaws) - and that when he came back, he was far below playing weight because of his broken jaws. Pelech seems to be your stereotypical darkhorse, a guy nobody really knows about, but has some pretty fine upside - kind of like last year's pick, Kris Chucko - Pelech has been compared to a more mobile version of Robyn Regehr, while Chucko, from what I read and yes I do think it is a little unrealistic, is compared to Iginla.

What his actual ranking is, I don't know.

Thanks for the info!

If he turns out to be a more mobile Robyn Regehr then Calgary picked up an absolute stud.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
I saw him today at the Flames Rookie camp Scrimmage at the Max Bell Arena in Calgary. This was my first time seeing him and I left undecided (which usually is the case) I cant tell what hes going to be, hes pretty mobile for his size which is nice and he uses his body but there were some brain lapses from him. He made 3-4 brutal passes out of the zone that got picked off and he seemed to look over Dions way alot since they were paired together kinda to see what Dion does and do similar. Though this also could have been for communication purposes. We'll see what happens, hes definately a project and I like what he offers so far. Prob going to be a stalwart.

Phanuthier*

Eb0la11 said:
I saw him today at the Flames Rookie camp Scrimmage at the Max Bell Arena in Calgary. This was my first time seeing him and I left undecided (which usually is the case) I cant tell what hes going to be, hes pretty mobile for his size which is nice and he uses his body but there were some brain lapses from him. He made 3-4 brutal passes out of the zone that got picked off and he seemed to look over Dions way alot since they were paired together kinda to see what Dion does and do similar. Though this also could have been for communication purposes. We'll see what happens, hes definately a project and I like what he offers so far. Prob going to be a stalwart.
I said this on the Flames message board, big players take time to grow, mature and learn what their bodies can do; smaller players learn what their body can do alot younger.

Pelech was drafted because of his physical frame, his personality and his mobility. Everything else is a project. Especially only playing 32 games, Pelech is very immature in his career, and needs to grow and learn what his body can do. I remember when Regehr first came to the Flames, he was a big teddy bear - huge, but played softer then Alexander Selivanov. Now, he's a beast out there. Same deal with Pelech, even more so since he lost abit of maturation with his injuries last year, not to mention the massive weight loss to due those injureis. Once he grows into that frame, then we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad