Player Discussion Matt Grzelcyk

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
gryz is better suited to play the old maple leafs, who just whizzed around doing spin-o-ramas. the current version is
much more treliving-like, which isn't a good fit for 48. also love lohrei getting a look. if he's going to be a big part
of your future, get the kid playoff reps now.

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
gryz is better suited to play the old maple leafs, who just whizzed around doing spin-o-ramas. the current version is
much more treliving-like, which isn't a good fit for 48. also love lohrei getting a look. if he's going to be a big part
of your future, get the kid playoff reps now.
Grzelcyk is a better in a series against the Hurricanes (if it ever comes to that)

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
Lohrei is not ready for playoff hockey, maybe he won’t get pushed around, but he also doesn’t make the right plays with the puck in the d zone. He is always turning the puck over off of recoveries. He will be good for us soon, but he is just not ready yet in that aspect. Gryz almost always makes the right play, and when he doesn’t, it is usually a low danger turnover or a 50/50 puck. Lohrei’s recovery mistakes are generally straight to the other team in moderate danger areas.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Lohrei is not ready for playoff hockey, maybe he won’t get pushed around, but he also doesn’t make the right plays with the puck in the d zone. He is always turning the puck over off of recoveries. He will be good for us soon, but he is just not ready yet in that aspect. Gryz almost always makes the right play, and when he doesn’t, it is usually a low danger turnover or a 50/50 puck. Lohrei’s recovery mistakes are generally straight to the other team in moderate danger areas.
Griz never passes the eye test, but in some metrics (e.g., 3rd among D in +/- behind only Carlo and Lindholm), he looks pretty good, but then I'm not a metrics expert.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
he will learn.
gryz should not see the ice again unless injuries

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

still played better than Gryz

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
This guy just plane sucks. Liability out there in the playoffs and you got bonehead Monty out coaching himself with his stupid roster changes. Soft as hell. He doesn’t even have a good first pass anymore. If Monty wants to keep his job we don’t see Gryz again.

How people on these boards defended Gryz all season is beyond me. He is not a NHL caliber dmen anymore.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
I thought this was one of his best games of the year. I’m guessing that will be a very unpopular opinion, but his first passes were great. He is not at fault at all for the ot goal, that blame is shared equally by Coyle and Mcavoy. He kept Domi from getting directly to the net and was able to keep Domi from being anywhere near the net after his drive. I really don’t understand how anybody can watch him today and have a problem with him.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I thought this was one of his best games of the year. I’m guessing that will be a very unpopular opinion, but his first passes were great. He is not at fault at all for the ot goal, that blame is shared equally by Coyle and Mcavoy. He kept Domi from getting directly to the net and was able to keep Domi from being anywhere near the net after his drive. I really don’t understand how anybody can watch him today and have a problem with him.
He was overpowered right from the get go. He made two extremely poor turnovers in his own zone on each of his first two shifts. The result was the Bruins got hemmed in their own zone for substantial periods of time at the very beginning of the game. I believe that gave Toronto life and made the Bruins, for some reason, play nervous.

Then he made an excellent d play and saved a goal.

It was not Domi it was Tavares. And he got absolutely walked by a slow skating John Tavares and then completely overpowered going to net directly leading the the GWG. Did not stop him from getting to the net, didn’t stop the puck from getting to the net. Tavares walked through him like a knife through soft butter. And he was in great position to stop exactly that. To weak by far.

The net result of all of this was back breaking.

If Carlo is out and Gryz plays in G6 I suspect they will have problems. Big problems.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

You are spot on for the most part (it was Tavares, and Gryz had a very shaky start to the game) but a lot of fans here don’t understand the game so they’ll blame Gryz for the loss.

Reactions: I am Bettman

bp14

Mar 17, 2022
You are spot on for the most part (it was Tavares, and Gryz had a very shaky start to the game) but a lot of fans here don’t understand the game so they’ll blame Gryz for the loss.
He can’t be blamed for the loss when the team only competes for 25 minutes, but he’s a playoff liability. He spent the first two periods in his own end, and then got turned starting from zero with a 35 year old.

He’s a playoff scratch of an NHL player. This yearly experiment should end.

Reactions: Number8

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
He can’t be blamed for the loss when the team only competes for 25 minutes, but he’s a playoff liability. He spent the first two periods in his own end, and then got turned starting from zero with a 35 year old.

He’s a playoff scratch of an NHL player. This yearly experiment should end.

That last play he forces a one handed shove of the puck to the side of the net where 3 Bruins (Sway,Coyle,Mac) were waiting.

That’s one of the better outcomes on that specific play. He’s not going to body Tavares, he’s old but he’s still big. If he overcommits and attacks the puck while Tavares is holding it to the outside that’s a prime penalty call waiting to happen if Tavares flops. Or Tavares just spins on him .

There’s zero reason to be super aggressive on Tavares in that instance when you have a shit ton of support at the net.

Mac and Coyle puck watched and that’s the reason the puck ended up in the net

bp14

Mar 17, 2022
That last play he forces a one handed shove of the puck to the side of the net where 3 Bruins (Sway,Coyle,Mac) were waiting.

That’s one of the better outcomes on that specific play. He’s not going to body Tavares, he’s old but he’s still big. If he overcommits and attacks the puck while Tavares is holding it to the outside that’s a prime penalty call waiting to happen if Tavares flops. Or Tavares just spins on him .

There’s zero reason to be super aggressive on Tavares in that instance when you have a shit ton of support at the net.

Mac and Coyle puck watched and that’s the reason the puck ended up in the net
I see that as wishful thinking, but you almost make my point. The fact he can’t prevent a puck from getting in front of the net from where he started is why he doesn’t play in April. You simply have to have either the legs or the strength to force him wider or to a curl on the wall. Gryz has neither. He’s a playoff press box guy.

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I see that as wishful thinking, but you almost make my point. The fact he can’t prevent a puck from getting in front of the net from where he started is why he doesn’t play in April. You simply have to have either the legs or the strength to force him wider or to a curl on the wall. Gryz has neither. He’s a playoff press box guy.

That play Tavares made is so low percentage that most dmen in that situation is going to let it happen rather than get super aggressive and risk a penalty on a nothing play. 9/10 times a one handed shove of the puck towards the net is just giving up possession by the offensive player.

It should have been the exact same thing here if Mac and Coyle did their jobs.

Reactions: Bodit9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad