Player Discussion Matt Grzelcyk

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't get to see every game anymore but the biggest difference to me between Gryz now and the Gryz that went to a cup finals in 2019 is he simply isn't the skater he was when he was 25 years old. I don't believe someone who has the experience he does in the NHL it's a fear thing come playoff time. The pace picks up. The physicality picks up. He's less capable of handling that with his skating not quite as strong. Where once he could skate himself out of trouble more often now he's getting hit more and that's amplified in the playoffs. He's never been terribly durable.

With Lohrei recalled they might be better off with his younger legs. You're not getting much physicality either way but your getting more length and probably better wheels to evade the Leaf forecheck.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I don't get to see every game anymore but the biggest difference to me between Gryz now and the Gryz that went to a cup finals in 2019 is he simply isn't the skater he was when he was 25 years old. I don't believe someone who has the experience he does in the NHL it's a fear thing come playoff time. The pace picks up. The physicality picks up. He's less capable of handling that with his skating not quite as strong. Where once he could skate himself out of trouble more often now he's getting hit more and that's amplified in the playoffs. He's never been terribly durable.

With Lohrei recalled they might be better off with his younger legs. You're not getting much physicality either way but your getting more length and probably better wheels to evade the Leaf forecheck.

2019 Gryz wasn't much more than serviceable either with 8 pts and a team worst -3 in the run

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
2019 Gryz wasn't much more than serviceable either with 8 pts and a team worst -3 in the run
Id kill for him to get 8 points...or even one f***ing point...

Very well said - to add to it I think a lot of this would be a moot point if he provided any kind of offense, but being his size, not skating as well as he used to AND not providing offense is such a negative to this team right now.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I don't think it was his peak overall but it was his peak mobility wise. That being said, I believe his peak as an NHL player has already passed.

Id kill for him to get 8 points...or even one f***ing point...

Very well said - to add to it I think a lot of this would be a moot point if he provided any kind of offense, but being his size, not skating as well as he used to AND not providing offense is such a negative to this team right now.

He's basically warm body stage now. Like you said, he's not providing any offense at all now where once he at least brought that. I like 26-year old Wotherspoon better.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
I am sure Gryz is wonderful person and a far better athlete than any of us will ever be. My question is does any NHL organization consider him a Dman you want in your top 6 for a playoff run. Hopefully his time with the Bruins is over at season end. It will be intersting to see if anyone signs him going forward and if so at what price

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

gerrycheeversmask

Feb 18, 2021
Behind Enemy Lines
I am sure Gryz is wonderful person and a far better athlete than any of us will ever be. My question is does any NHL organization consider him a Dman you want in your top 6 for a playoff run. Hopefully his time with the Bruins is over at season end. It will be intersting to see if anyone signs him going forward and if so at what price
He’ll be lucky if he gets a PTO.

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
I'm not seeing "awful" Gryz.... He and especially Carlo are playing well IMO.. Yeah he will get pushed around, but there was a pass mid game 2 to I think Boqvist in stride of about 100 feet that nobody else on this team is making....so while his physical losses will be magnified, look for the little good stuff too.

McAvoy and Lindholm really need to pick it up IMO.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I'm not seeing "awful" Gryz.... He and especially Carlo are playing well IMO.. Yeah he will get pushed around, but there was a pass mid game 2 to I think Boqvist in stride of about 100 feet that nobody else on this team is making....so while his physical losses will be magnified, look for the little good stuff too.

That is the biggest problem with Gryz is that he "gets pushed around "

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

I counted about 4-5 times last game where he heard footsteps and panic shot the puck (weakly) up the boards and it got picked off, then Toronto gained significant zone time from it.

His strengths aren't good enough to cover for his weaknesses imo. If he saw powerplay time and could produced 40-45 points a season, sure, keep him around.

His game does a complete 180 in the playoffs from regular season Grzelcyk, who for the most part is fine. If you think he's playing fine, we're watching two completely different players.

As for McAvoy, he's got 3 assists in the 2 games he's played.

Reactions: NDiesel

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Ive been a supporter of Gryz. He has had A LOT of ups and downs this year. And I think the writing is on the wall for next year. I also thought he was effective game 1.

But even I could see in game 2 that, every time the Reeves line was out there, it was no mistake that it was often the same time Gryz was out there. And they really gave him trouble. It seemed like they were going after him (as they should).

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
He also hasn't contributed anything. The Leafs have only scored 4 goals in total.
And one was a gift from Shatenkirk who managed to finish a -1 in their 5-1 win in game one.

But whatever - hate who you got to

He hasnt been on ice for a goal for either, and is sporting a -1.7 CFrel at even strength despite a 64% o-zone start
What's Shatenkirk by those fancy numbers and 3-4 min of PP time a night

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
And one was a gift from Shatenkirk who managed to finish a -1 in their 5-1 win in game one.

But whatever - hate who you got to

What's Shatenkirk by those fancy numbers and 3-4 min of PP time a night
If Peeke was healthy I don't think Shatty plays either....but regardless I'm not sure how you can watch those two games and come away happy with Gryz. Him Lindholm and Shatty are struggling big time moving the puck out, IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad