Player Discussion Matt Grzelcyk

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
His aversion to contact is a benefit during d zone recoveries. He can move the puck and get back into the play.

Lately seems to turn the puck over like a Wideman instead of taking the hit or avoiding it more deliberately.

In the past his agility and transition was a key element. This season doesn't look like an NHLer on a playoff team.

Sweeney should have sold high to clear cap space last offseason.

Reactions: BBruins

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Na, saying that puts you in the LSCII school of eyeball scouting.

For example last year Gryz was 75th at his position in points. That's actually pretty good.

I wouldn't say Grz is awful at the offensive side of things. He did well for himself in college. But he doesn't produce the points his skills would suggest he should.

Back when he was part of the motor that started the 5v5 engine for the Bergeron line, his puck transition was very good. He had one of the best 1st passes out of the zone in the league. He hasn't looked like that this year though. To be fair, McAvoy has also not looked like himself at times either this season.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Lately seems to turn the puck over like a Wideman instead of taking the hit or avoiding it more deliberately.

In the past his agility and transition was a key element. This season doesn't look like an NHLer on a playoff team.

I don't know that you could have gotten much for him last offseason. His playoff issues were well known. He almost 4 million contract would have been a tight fit for any team playing to win. And he was coming off surgery, so that was a factor

Maybe they could have found a taker for him, but will little value in retun

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I don't know that you could have gotten much for him last offseason. His playoff issues were well known. He almost 4 million contract would have been a tight fit for any team playing to win. And he was coming off surgery, so that was a factor

Maybe they could have found a taker for him, but will little value in retun
i would agree. i had thought san jose was interested in taking him for free, especially with: the train wreck D corps they had
projected for this year, because the coach had gryz in college, and they needed more culture guys. and maybe it was close
to happening - not really sure why the b's chose to keep him over other plans they had in place.

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022

He was a healthy scratch to start last seasons playoffs. His advanced stats obviously fool noone in NHL front offices or they would surely gobbled him up had he been available. I din't think he had much value and is valuable to what Boston does IMO

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
I know I have been down on Gryz ,for at least three years. As simple as I can state it . I really do not care what stat some poster uses to tell me how great Gryz is. I can simply not understand how a player with mediocre skills . Can continue to play in a manner where avoiding physical contact is a bigger priority than making the right play. To me that is not a formula for winning hockey. Does he do somethings very well yes

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
For me he hasn’t been the same since he got hit and concussed, I believe, in the finals vs the Blues. I think that changed his game. He seems to rush the play in his own end not to get hit which I guess we can understand. Concussions change a player more than we realize. It stands out tonight too when they have to go down to 5 D with Peeke getting injured. I think Grezlyk will be playing somewhere else next year

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I know I have been down on Gryz ,for at least three years. As simple as I can state it . I really do not care what stat some poster uses to tell me how great Gryz is. I can simply not understand how a player with mediocre skills . Can continue to play in a manner where avoiding physical contact is a bigger priority than making the right play. To me that is not a formula for winning hockey. Does he do somethings very well yes

He has been an effective guy at quickly getting pucks out of his own end more than the average guy. But the talent up front he is transitioning to is much worse. The more you ask him to go back and retrieve pucks and the more you ask him to defend, the worse he is going to be.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
He has been an effective guy at quickly getting pucks out of his own end more than the average guy. But the talent up front he is transitioning to is much worse. The more you ask him to go back and retrieve pucks and the more you ask him to defend, the worse he is going to be.
You are so limited in how he can be used and it becomes a glaring problem every playoff . When facing limited pressure he can play a good transition game yes. The problem with this, is this is playoff off hockey and the pressure is intensified. You have less time and space . When you have both 12and 48 in your 6D It creates PK issues all PK time needs to be handled buy the other 4 . If any of those 4 get injured or are in the box you have issues

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
For me he hasn’t been the same since he got hit and concussed, I believe, in the finals vs the Blues. I think that changed his game. He seems to rush the play in his own end not to get hit which I guess we can understand. Concussions change a player more than we realize. It stands out tonight too when they have to go down to 5 D with Peeke getting injured. I think Grezlyk will be playing somewhere else next year

For me it started in 2018 vs the Bolts. They hammered the shit out of him & Krug. Krug seemed to handle it a bit better but I could see Gryz panicking every time he thought he saw a Lightning player coming at him. It has only gotten worse.

Babajingo

I could forgive Grezlcyk's defensive shortcomings more, if he could at least contribute something on offense, but those days seem to be long one. Yes, Lohrei stuggles defensively, but at least he can help with the transition offense 5 on 5.
This is what I've been hammering. He is good at one thing, transition out of the D zone. No shot, average speed, can't clear in front of net. He can block too, I guess.

Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad