Player Discussion: Matt Dumba

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
For about ten years there have been rumors that we’re eying Dumba and now he’s finally here. Didn’t look out of place in his first game imo. He’s more aggressive and roaming more than I expected but brought some stability to the 3rd pairing and should be a good veteran guy to have in the locker room.
I was hoping we could sign him before the season but I guess JBB thought Sheary was more important

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Haven't been able to watch a game since Duke and Dumba landed in Tampa, how has Dumba looked so far? I've read some people's opinions that seem to be pretty positive.

You guys think we could get a shot at signing him on the low end as 3rd pair RD this offeason?

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Haven't been able to watch a game since Duke and Dumba landed in Tampa, how has Dumba looked so far? I've read some people's opinions that seem to be pretty positive.

You guys think we could get a shot at signing him on the low end as 3rd pair RD this offeason?
He's been fine, Not spectacular and he's not that close to what he was in Minnesota, but he's a reliable minutes eater who wasn't eaten alive by the Rangers last night.

He's better than Perbix, who has been making far too many mistakes this year.

Tampa22

Eternally grateful TBL enforcers!
Oct 11, 2010
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Only 2 games but I love him. Good to not have anymore only one D capable to make hard hits. I know we can't pretend offensive numbers from him but I'm fine for what he shows, patrol the crease and from what I read he's a good locker room guy.
Hope he can stay here, I'm old school guy, so I take him any day instead of Raddysh, Fleury, De Hann and Perbix.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Only 2 games but I love him. Good to not have anymore only one D capable to make hard hits. I know we can't pretend offensive numbers from him but I'm fine for what he shows, patrol the crease and from what I read he's a good locker room guy.
Hope he can stay here, I'm old school guy, so I take him any day instead of Raddysh, Fleury, De Hann and Perbix.

He'll have to be willing to sign a contract similar to Raddysh or Perbix

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He'll have to be willing to sign a contract similar to Raddysh or Perbix

Coming off a 3.9M contract? I don't see it. Especially if he rebounds during his time here, it's just more telling that his performance earlier in the year was due to his team enviroment than his actual decline. Would need to offer him a 2-3 year contract.

I would move someone to keep him though, his physicality is needed and takes less of a burden off of Cernak.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Coming off a 3.9M contract? I don't see it. Especially if he rebounds during his time here, it's just more telling that his performance earlier in the year was due to his team enviroment than his actual decline. Would need to offer him a 2-3 year contract.

I would move someone to keep him though, his physicality is needed and takes less of a burden off of Cernak.
He was in decline in Minnesota too which is why they let him walk and why he went to Arizona of all places.

I don’t see it either which is why we almost certainly let him walk too. I like him but we would need to make a trade of one of our RD and he would need to take a pay cut, no way should we entertain giving him close to 4m, he bet on himself and lost.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He was in decline in Minnesota too which is why they let him walk and why he went to Arizona of all places.

I don’t see it either which is why we almost certainly let him walk too. I like him but we would need to make a trade of one of our RD and he would need to take a pay cut, no way should we entertain giving him close to 4m, he bet on himself and lost.

Anything sub 3M would be fine, he still handles a ton of ice time despite his decline and his game isn't redundant like the other soft defenseman we're carrying. Can't have both Raddysh and Perbix out there, especially with how soft that left side is also. Mix and matching Perbix, Raddysh with Hedman, Serg, Fleury or CDH has pretty much been a disaster.

JBB's entire plan of having a bunch of "mobile defenseman" has blown up in his face, doesnt matter how good they skate if they just turn it over and cant win puck battles, go back to having a gritty guy on each pairing.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio

He went to Arizona because he wasn't getting the $ he wanted in what he was offered, and he has a house in Arizona, from all accounts, he likes it there.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

ehhh, partially. The main reason they let him walk is that because they had 15M cap penalty coming up in each of the next two years, and felt that they couldn't make him a decent offer. If MN could've brought him back I think they would've, albeit at a lesser price than his previous 6m/yr.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
ehhh, partially. The main reason they let him walk is that because they had 15M cap penalty coming up in each of the next two years, and felt that they couldn't make him a decent offer. If MN could've brought him back I think they would've, albeit at a lesser price than his previous 6m/yr.

I didn't have a chance to watch him consistently, being on the east coast, I read he'd been on the decline since injuries. Thank you for clarifying.

Reactions: Renopucker

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I didn't have a chance to watch him consistently, being on the east coast, I read he'd been on the decline since injuries. Thank you for clarifying.
His offense declined, for sure. Some said that his shot wasn't the cannon it once was before he tore his pec, but as someone who saw him live quite a few times post injury, you could see that it still was an above average shot speed wise, and his skating was still good.

He got marginally better defensively as he aged, but I was always disappointed with his seeming lack of judgement when it came to risk/reward plays.

Good guy, fun personality, tries hard, has some talent and grit, still, but I don't miss the gaffes. We had pretty high expectations of him up in MN, though, as a #7 oa pick. Looking back on the 2012 draft, though, it was quite the stinker, goalies aside.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
His offense declined, for sure. Some said that his shot wasn't the cannon it once was before he tore his pec, but as someone who saw him live quite a few times post injury, you could see that it still was an above average shot speed wise, and his skating was still good.

He got marginally better defensively as he aged, but I was always disappointed with his seeming lack of judgement when it came to risk/reward plays.

Good guy, fun personality, tries hard, has some talent and grit, still, but I don't miss the gaffes. We had pretty high expectations of him up in MN, though, as a #7 oa pick. Looking back on the 2012 draft, though, it was quite the stinker, goalies aside.
Totally see that. He has had some interesting chip ins and forechecking moments as well as some bad zone exits that just leave you yelling at the TV. I get they wanted someone who wasn't under 24 and had some playoff experience so they're not running green kids into the playoffs and Hanifin was the target, but Dumba honestly isn't terrible and can at least move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad