Player Discussion Matt Dumba

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004
Has there been any update on how long Dumba might be out for? All I've seen is that he's out for "a while". Does that mean 1 months, 2 months, the entire season?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Unbelievable that this franchise is forcing itself to move this guy. So mismanaged to end up being forced to trade him in the near future IMO.

Reactions: Al Lagoon

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Unbelievable that this franchise is forcing itself to move this guy. So mismanaged to end up being forced to trade him in the near future IMO.

This is true. But the bright side is that if he keeps playing like he is, his trade value should increase accordingly. Also comforting to know that the Wild have options already in place to fill that void at RD should Dumba get moved.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
This is true. But the bright side is that if he keeps playing like he is, his trade value should increase accordingly. Also comforting to know that the Wild have options already in place to fill that void at RD should Dumba get moved.
Yeah, but that still doesn't excuse the loss of such a player.

Those guys still would've been there to replace the captain instead, who has always made more sense to be the one to move on from... and looks more apparent every day.

Just depressing to see this play out this way.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Really likable guy and good player, but people are acting like he's headed towards 81 points, and not 41. If we get a good haul for him and Menell/Addison come in and put up 75% of what he does, the sting won't last too long.

That said, we haven't forced ourselves into anything yet. Boldy and Rossi are going to be low money players for for the next 3-5 years and center upgrade options aren't too plentiful right now. Still can go any number of different directions.

Reactions: TaLoN and MuckOG

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That said, we haven't forced ourselves into anything yet.
The writing is on the wall though with the clauses on the 3 other top 4 D contracts though.

Long term it's just not feasible to keep him. I'm in favor of holding onto him for the best possible deal and all, but the time will come when we can't afford all 4 of the top 4 and he will be the odd one out despite "possibly" being the best of the bunch.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The writing is on the wall though with the clauses on the 3 other top 4 D contracts though.

Long term it's just not feasible to keep him. I'm in favor of holding onto him for the best possible deal and all, but the time will come when we can't afford all 4 of the top 4 and he will be the odd one out despite "possibly" being the best of the bunch.

Maybe. I'm not fully convinced of this yet.

Bit of a sliding doors moment with his injury and the Spurgeon extension, but it is what it is.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Maybe. I'm not fully convinced of this yet.

Bit of a sliding doors moment with his injury and the Spurgeon extension, but it is what it is.
I hope that you're right and we can possibly afford to keep him long term. I'm just not as confident in that as a "possible" option.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Really likable guy and good player, but people are acting like he's headed towards 81 points, and not 41. If we get a good haul for him and Menell/Addison come in and put up 75% of what he does, the sting won't last too long.

That said, we haven't forced ourselves into anything yet. Boldy and Rossi are going to be low money players for for the next 3-5 years and center upgrade options aren't too plentiful right now. Still can go any number of different directions.
I would guess that "the sting" has 7 years left on it's deal. If current trends hold, it's going to hurt quite a bit

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I’ll bet against the ‘if’.
You think Spurgeon is going to improve from 31 to 38? I will be more than happy to take you up on any sort of bet you would like to make. But, you have to actually pay up.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I just look at Parise declining around 33-34, falling off a cliff at 35. Suter taking a clear step back at 35/36. We'll still have Spurgeon for 3 more years if he starts to do the same at the same age.

I have no idea why GM's still sign guys to long term deals taking them to their late 30s. When does it ever work out for the team?

Spurgeon should have gotten 5 years max.

Reactions: TaLoN

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
So, what point are you trying to make here?

That there is no doubt that Dumba + Menell/Addison + whatever we could've gotten for Spurgeon is probably better than the other way around.

But, if Spurgeon is the Spurgeon of the last 5 years (and not the first 16 games of this year) + Menell/Addison give us ~75% of what Dumba has for 1/6 of the cost + whatever we get in a trade for Dumba is legit helpful, then the sting of losing him is lessened, possibly substantially. This is what I said at first, which prompted you to remind me what Spurgeon's salary is.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
That there is no doubt that Dumba + Menell/Addison + whatever we could've gotten for Spurgeon is probably better than the other way around.

But, if Spurgeon is the Spurgeon of the last 5 years (and not the first 16 games of this year) + Menell/Addison give us ~75% of what Dumba has for 1/6 of the cost + whatever we get in a trade for Dumba is legit helpful, then the sting of losing him is lessened, possibly substantially. This is what I said at first, which prompted you to remind me what Spurgeon's salary is.
And my counter to that, is simply that if we already know that it's a bad deal now, we sure as hell aren't going to feel better about it when Spurgeon is still making that money at 37 f'ing years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad