Value of: Matt Duchene

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
So Matt Duchene was bought out by Nashville last year losing out on 11 million of his remaining 20 million owed on his contract.

He signed for one year with Dallas on a team friendly 3 million dollar deal and has played well looking to put up around 70 points this season.

What does he get as a UFA? He only needs 8 million to recover any loses from his buyout, will he be looking for term or just more comfort?

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
So Matt Duchene was bought out by Nashville last year losing out on 11 million of his remaining 20 million owed on his contract.

He signed for one year with Dallas on a team friendly 3 million dollar deal and has played well looking to put up around 70 points this season.

What does he get as a UFA? He only needs 8 million to recover any loses from his buyout, will he be looking for term or just more comfort?

I expect him to pick his spot based on team preference and roster opportunity, much like he did with Dallas. So I don't think he'll be chasing the money.

I'd say somewhere around 5 or 6 million. But I have no idea where.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB

I believe he got 2/3s of his contract, if I'm reading google correctly. Either way, I agree he will get $5-$6, could take less to re-sign in Dallas.

vpasla1

Mar 24, 2018
3 Years Bought Out. Total $20 million salary ($24 million cap hit).

He received $6 million in signing bonuses (these are buyout proof, so guaranteed money).
He receives 2/3 of the remaining $14 million, for a total of $9.333 over six years (including this year).
So he effectively only missed out on just $4.667 million, once everything is said and done (end of 28-29).
If you're going to use facts, at least ensure they're correct.

He earns $3 million this year, so will he make up the $1.6667? Sure.

Regarding his next contract, He just turned 33, so he should get a couple of years under contract.
Whether he wants something long term for lower cap hit, or shorter term with a higher cap hit will be totally up to him, I'm sure both options will be available to him.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I expect him to pick his spot based on team preference and roster opportunity, much like he did with Dallas. So I don't think he'll be chasing the money.

I'd say somewhere around 5 or 6 million. But I have no idea where.

If thats what he wants i'd look to keep him in Dallas. Offer him 3x5-6 ish which is the same years Seguin has remaining after this one . They work really well together and its not just Duchene . While Seguin was out Duchene was noticeably less visible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sports2 and banks

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Based on all interviews and comment, family and chance to win > money. He wants to stay in Dallas if it works, otherwise expect him to go to another Southern contender. I believe he has property in Florida.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
3 Years Bought Out. Total $20 million salary ($24 million cap hit).

He received $6 million in signing bonuses (these are buyout proof, so guaranteed money).
He receives 2/3 of the remaining $14 million, for a total of $9.333 over six years (including this year).
So he effectively only missed out on just $4.667 million, once everything is said and done (end of 28-29).
If you're going to use facts, at least ensure they're correct.

He earns $3 million this year, so will he make up the $1.6667? Sure.

Regarding his next contract, He just turned 33, so he should get a couple of years under contract.
Whether he wants something long term for lower cap hit, or shorter term with a higher cap hit will be totally up to him, I'm sure both options will be available to him.

Damn he even wins more of the lottery then I thought then.

I looked at his buyout history which said 9 million dollar value

In the end his buyout is irrelevant now, I just thought it was interesting.

He can still produce

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I think he also mentioned when he signed for Dallas that it had a similar lifestyle to Nashville which appealed to him (Country)

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS

I think he and the Stars will come to a contract. He's 33. I'm thinking a deal similar to Pavelski's 2019-20 deal for 7x3.

Reactions: Sports2

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Wherever they have square dancing and cowboy hats are a viable outfit choice he will go. The more country western bars in your downtown area the less he will cost.

• Haha
Reactions: Spotty 2 Hotty

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
2018 was a while ago. Hopefully one day you get over it.
I'm over the moon about it, are you kidding me? We never took off until that locker room cancer was expelled from our team!

Also, it was 2017 not 2018.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
I'm over the moon about it, are you kidding me? We never took off until that locker room cancer was expelled from our team!

Also, it was 2017 not 2018.

You came into this thread talking about his 2024-25 contract meme'ing about his departure from Colorado.. that seems to be the furthest thing from being over it.

• Haha
Reactions: Spotty 2 Hotty

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
You came into this thread talking about his 2024-25 contract meme'ing about his departure from Colorado.. that seems to be the furthest thing from being over it.
I don't know, I guess I just struck a nerve with you or something. Don't really care.

And yeah, it is funny all of these years later. The idea that he wanted to go to a team that played "playoff hockey", left and the Avalanche immediately became the best team in the West overall from 2018-current is really funny to me. Including sweeping him in the first round on their way to the cup!

So when his contract comes up and someone mentions him wanting to go to a "playoff" destination > getting paid, I find it really amusing. Guy could have been a solution here and instead was the miserable obstacle.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: SpezDispenser

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I can haz as winger for Pettersson or JT Miller? I'd take him for either role please.

Center utility is just a bonus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad