Player Discussion Mats Zuccarello

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I know Zuccarello has had a rough time and hasn't lived up to his contract, but he has been looking really good since coming back from the arm surgery.

The plays he has made the last couple of games have looked like vintage Zuccarello hockey from his NYR days. Nice playmaking and a couple of sneaky goals. 9(3G 6A) points in 5 games isn't too shabby.

That 43% shooting though... not that sustainable. :laugh: But the goals have been pretty.

Last edited:

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Zucc is Norways biggest contribution to hockey and as such it was devastating to see that the NYR traded him away, but I'm stoked he's been able to overcome the injury that plagued him last season and is able to move the hockey stick like he wants. Wrist injuries for a hockeyplayer is like playing soccer with a broken toe, it's just not going to feel right.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I loved Zucc's zoom the other day. He said his season last year was just fine, sending a signal that he couldn't care less about those who criticized him. And why should he? Scored 37 points in 65 games playing with a broken wrist, I'd also be happy with that. He also had to deal with that awful coach, Boudreau was about to ruin him.

But then you may ask why they didn't take him out of the lineup last year and send him to surgery. Well that's on the docs and management.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I loved Zucc's zoom the other day. He said his season last year was just fine, sending a signal that he couldn't care less about those who criticized him. And why should he? Scored 37 points in 65 games playing with a broken wrist, I'd also be happy with that. He also had to deal with that awful coach, Boudreau was about to ruin him.

But then you may ask why they didn't take him out of the lineup last year and send him to surgery. Well that's on the docs and management.
Well at least your objective

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I do not think Zook was thrilled by his season last season. Fine can mean a lot of different things based on context. When a girlfriend tells me things are fine I know I'm in trouble. Playing through that injury may have been a mistake especially after signing a new contract. It was also probably a big adjustment after spending 99% of his career in NY with many friends. Zooks is a great guy so I will always want good things for him. I think Minny fans have every right to want to see Zooks near his best. Sadly most UFA are near or past their peak. I hope Zooks has some magic left. I have been impressed with his shot since the surgery. He is a good guy so I'm hoping the Wild surprise some people.

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
If Zuccarello continues to play like this I will be much less unhappy about the no move clause. He is starting to look like somebody you would want to protect in the expansion draft. Hopefully last year was the fluke.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
That didn't take long, in some star company here. I actually didn't know he's 2nd in the league.

Olcoach

Nov 25, 2018
The Tundra
If he keeps this up, some of us are going to owe that Webster guy a huge apology.
Ok. So I'll be the first. Mr. Webster I apologize for absolutely hating on your guy last year. I saw a soft perimeter player with a low battle level that wasn't playing to expectations. His value to contract was way out of wack for me. Wow was I wrong. Hope your (our) guy keeps it up. Looks like he is having fun and fitting in well with the team. Kudo's.

Reactions: Webster

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Let's not confuse Webster and Zuccarello. Webster has absolutely nothing to do with how Zuccarello performs on the ice.

lol...let the coach take care of that.

But some fans probably had more to do with it than you think. He knows what's been said on social media...he has zero value, not worth his contract, and so on. Did this trigger him? I'm sure it did. He'll not continue on a pace for 120 points, but he certainly knocked down the haters on twitter...they're gone.

Reactions: Olcoach

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Ranger fan here. Glad to see Zucc is having a nice bounce back season so far. He was one of my favorite players. One of the most creative playmakers I have seen don a blue shirt. Wild are starting to carve out a really nice team. Can't wait to see what you guys will look like once Rossi enters the fold.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Zuccarello won the NYR, internal "Extra effort" award twice and was an important piece in the NYR playoff runs. When the star players crumbled offensively, Zuccarello and his line always delivered. Zuke and Brassard were gold together with anyone the coach put with them. When McDonagh hit him in the head with a slap shot in the 14/15 playoffs it seriously affected that playoff run. He's not only known for his playmaking, but his defensive effort (no player isn't a two-way player under Tortorella), which is why I thought Minnesota would be a good team for him.

It looks like he has worked hard on his shot too. I mean, it was still good before, but it seems even better now, a bit faster. He looks to have found instant chemistry with Kaprizov, which should be a given considering how creative they both are on the ice - and sees it very well. He was instantly liked in his short tenure in Dallas too, he helped to bolster their scoring quite a bit.

Zuccarello was a huge fan favourite in New York and very popular among teammates too. He's the joking banter kind of guy that lifts the spirit of everyone around him. So yeah, there's a small army of Rangers/ Norwegian/ Scandinavian fans that follows this guy around. I'm certainly one of them, I'm a huge Zuccarello fan.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Believe me, we know this.
I believe you. :laugh:

If Zuccarello can get back to the snarl he had in his NYR days, his contract will be a bargain. This is why he was a fan favourite in New York. He had it all. Feistyness, battle level, intensity, skill and even remarkable physicality for his size. Nevermind being such a likeable player on the team off the ice:

And I have to re-post my favourite video to explain Zuccarello as a player. If he's set in Minnesota and finds guys to mesh with personally, he will be an integral piece to winning games.

Last edited:

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
When they signed The Lizard, I was like 'Lovely. Another overpriced, over the hill, productively declining vet. Just what we need.' And while I didn't end up watching any games at all last season, the numbers looked like he was pretty much what I assumed. This season? Seems he's on track to make up for last season. I'm thrilled with the guy. Total about face in my opinion.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I hated the original signing because of the length, but even more so because I knew the NMC would cost us a good young player. Still feel the same way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad