Mathieu Perreault

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
He was on the 4th line with Hendricks, but they only skated 11 forwards (7 D) so Perreault didn't get much time.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Around half of the game was spent with one team on the powerplay, and Perreault isn't on either PP unit nor does he kill penalties. Oates also went with only 11 forwards last night, so he was shuffling lines a fair bit. Perreault was one of the 2 forwards without a full time line, took a penalty, and was out of position during a Lightning goal. He didn't earn any ice time, and thus spent most of the game on the bench.

Assuming Oates sticks with lines similar to last night, Perreault will primarily be a 4th line energy player when everyone is healthy. He will have to compete with Johansson, Wolski, and Fehr to get a top six spot (Ovie, Nicky, Ribs, and Brouwer's spots seem secure).

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The problem with Perreault and ice time is versatility. He's a finesse center. He's not particularly useful at wing and he's not particularly useful as a checking line player. He doesn't slot in just anywhere. That means the fourth line, when they are healthy.

Perreault is very nice to have on the roster when the Capitals have an injury at #1 or #2 center. He can plug a hole.

If the Caps are not going with three offense lines, then it's difficult for him to get ice time unless the Caps are rolling their lines. For one of the few times this season, the Caps had two days off after game #1, so Oates didn't roll out all his lines. He played the top three lines, and used the fourth to spell the others.

PP time went elsewhere as well. Really, the addition of Ribeiro made Perreault's chances of a breakout year very remote, because that's the only role (#2 center) he can play other than #4 center, on a team using a checking/cycling line.

I was pleasantly surprised with Perreault last year, but I wouldn't slot him above either of Ribeiro or Backstrom. There will be injuries and I am sure they will need him at some point.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Honestly I don't see this year working out for the Caps because of the large amount of change and the small amount of time to adjust to those changes so if Ribeiro went down for the season tomorrow and Perreault got the rest of the season to center the 2nd line I wouldn't be unhappy. Most of that is that I don't see Ribeiro resigning here but I'd also like Perreault to be given an actual shot in a role he could excel in IMO. Of course there aren't any legit 2nd line wingers on this team for anyone to center so...

MoJoSauce

Apr 3, 2011
NNK
I think Ribeiro is certainly looking to resign here, granted there is a lot of the season left to play. He stayed in the area during the lockout and has moved his entire family here, part of that goes into him being remarried, but I think he wants to contribute here and get another contract

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I think Ribeiro is certainly looking to resign here, granted there is a lot of the season left to play. He stayed in the area during the lockout and has moved his entire family here, part of that goes into him being remarried, but I think he wants to contribute here and get another contract

it is too early but I wanted Ribeiro to resign here for some 10 years already!

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
3:21 minutes played in 1st game,
4:58 minutes played in 2nd game.

As long as Oates keeps playing Perrault with 4th liners, he will be a waste of a spot.

Perreault is skillfull enough to have 2nd liners wingers and can generate offense.

What I saw from the Caps in the last two games is a team who is not controlling the game, who is not putting the effort in enough and who is playing without an overall well established strategy.

OA alone is enough to derail any game plan as he is playing all over and is not following any game plan.

As long as this team does not play under a chesive game plan, they will go nowhere.

As of now, I predict them they will be pushed out of a playoff spot, and it is surely not because of MP's 4 minutes game effort.

Ribeiro?????

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
HI don't see Ribeiro resigning here but I'd also like Perreault to be given an actual shot in a role he could excel in IMO. .

Ribiero's sons play hockey at the rink where I run a pro shop. I've spoken with him on more than a few occasions when he's been around (and he's had plenty of time to be around), and when I spoke with him the night before training camp was to start, he expressed how happy he was to be back playing and that he really hoped that he'd be able to re-sign with the caps and stay here in DC.

And it wasn't just a line to a caps fan, he expressed how he'd like for his kids and family to be able to be here and not have to move them again.

Point is, I think if he does well and the caps offer him a fair deal, he'd stay without too much thought.

Just the impression I got from the conversation while he was having a coffee waiting for his kids game to start.

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
Now that MP is relegated to the bleachers, is there a possibility that he gets traded?

Probably the Caps could use his cap space and MP could use some ice time.....

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Now that MP is relegated to the bleachers, is there a possibility that he gets traded?

Probably the Caps could use his cap space and MP could use some ice time.....

Perreault only costs $1.05M against the salary cap, and the Caps aren't even close to it as it stands.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
MP is scoring C insurance. all are healthy, he rides the pine

I miss the days when he was inserted into the lineup, and he would always bring instant offense. Now when he gets in, he is a 4C with little TOI.

He foolishly listened to George's lies before signing his most recent contract.

I still think he should have gotten into game 6 vs Montreal dammit.

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
MP is scoring C insurance. all are healthy, he rides the pine

I miss the days when he was inserted into the lineup, and he would always bring instant offense. Now when he gets in, he is a 4C with little TOI.

He foolishly listened to George's lies before signing his most recent contract.

I still think he should have gotten into game 6 vs Montreal dammit.

Good performance last night with more and more players back healthy.
IMO he will be on the roster for a while now.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Agreed!

But what good is he to them?

well.....there was last night as an example.
a point in favor of the mcphee protect your nuts hoarding prospects strategy.
appears the kundratek minor leauge player swap was a good move to as the kid
seems to be an actual nhl player not just playing one on tv

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
I like Perreault. Always have. And last year when Backstrom was injured he came in and did his thing.

Didn't like Oates giving him a chance and then benching him because of a penalty or that's how I perceived it. You could bench this whole team for taking penalties.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I hope Nick and Ribs took note of that one time pass to Brouwer

Even MPs haters have to admit, we have no one else that can bring offense off the bench as well as he does. Any position, not just center. And its not even close. It's been that way for a long time now.

He does seem a little undisciplined but it sure seems the penalties he gets called for are generally weak ass calls.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
well.....there was last night as an example.
a point in favor of the mcphee protect your nuts hoarding prospects strategy.
appears the kundratek minor leauge player swap was a good move to as the kid
seems to be an actual nhl player not just playing one on tv

Yep. Kundratek definitely looks like an NHL player and I would absolutely hold onto him to see where his ceiling really is.

I've always been an MP supporter and felt he got a bad rap. He is always hustling and giving great effort. Good at disrupting the other team on the forecheck. He really does "engage" and its good to see him rewarded for his effort.

I will still not understand Hunter's stance of Aucoin>>MP. Hopefully Oates gives him plenty of equity to stick in the lineup.

I hope Nick and Ribs took note of that one time pass to Brouwer

Even MPs haters have to admit, we have no one else that can bring offense off the bench as well as he does. Any position, not just center. And its not even close. It's been that way for a long time now.

He does seem a little undisciplined but it sure seems the penalties he gets called for are generally weak ass calls.

In the late 80s I was also into the NBA. The Detroit Pistons had this one guy on their team they called the microwave. I think it was Vinny "the microwave" Johnson. He wouldn't play all that much but when they needed offense they chucked him in an he would go berzerk launching shots and being aggressive.

MP does seem to provide something akin to that.

I agree that the calls on him seem borderline. I don't mind most of his penalties. They are of the Semin variety where he gets overly aggressive trying to make something happen. I don't see them as lazy or stupid penalties.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Would anyone say that MP appears lazy to them at times? Bad day to ask, but trying to explain why it seems like he falls out of favor with coaches, then they need him, and he does well, lather rinse repeat.

Aucoin > MP was a head scratcher. But it was more than that. Aucoin got PP time over Semin and others.

Maybe seeing him racking up the goals in NY explains what Dale or George saw.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Would anyone say that MP appears lazy to them at times? Bad day to ask, but trying to explain why it seems like he falls out of favor with coaches, then they need him, and he does well, lather rinse repeat.

Aucoin > MP was a head scratcher. But it was more than that. Aucoin got PP time over Semin and others.

Maybe seeing him racking up the goals in NY explains what Dale or George saw.

The coaches may see things in practice that we don't.

But everytime MP gets a chance he produces. Last year Backstrom goes down. MP steps in and pots 15 goals or around there.

For some reason he is always on a short leash and I never agreed with it. They need to stick with the kid and let him go through dry spells instead of banishing him to the press box when he has one.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
aucoin>perreault was not a head scratcher. you might not agree with the motivation but the reasoning made sense. aucoin was a veteran. he was consistant in his play and he made far fewer mistakes that lead to scoring chances against. veteran over young player is all that was.

perreault hasnt always hustled. his mo was always to go gangbusters his first couple games back in the lineup and then his production and then his overall play would retreat.
he could keep his edge.

oates says that its not about production but about playing the right way. he wants consistant play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad