Mathias From (signs with Rockford)

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
Does anyone have any updates on this kid. The few times that I've gotten to see him play I was really impressed. Good size, good shot, good 2-way player, skates really well.

His numbers don't look impressive, however. Is this a case of being young and defensively responsible so he gets used in more of a checking role? Perhaps he hasn't developed well?

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I read an article that was in Swedish basically saying he tried to punch a teammate and swung at a coach? I couldn’t find it again so maybe it was BS but

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I read an article that was in Swedish basically saying he tried to punch a teammate and swung at a coach? I couldn’t find it again so maybe it was BS but

Yikes. Sounds like another Akim Aliu. I heard he might be a bit of a head case, but I didn't think it was THAT bad.

jls24

Apr 30, 2013

I'm excited to see what he can do over here. I'm expecting a scouting report from our Icehogs fans. Looking at you @CourtneyDagger50

Last edited:

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
Except Aliu did tear it up a bit offensively in juniors. This guy...
His lack of production is a little concerning just stat watching, but I'm not going to pretend like I know his deployment. He's never had a problem scoring against his peers though so I imagine if he was in the juniors his numbers would look much better.

Also from the handful of times I've seen him, he looked like a good 2-way player with above average IQ. I think even if he doesn't become an offensive force he still becomes a solid NHLer.

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013
Watched him 2 years ago Prospect camp... I loved his skating, hard wrist shot... I predicted he would be a "sleeper" and make the Hawks someday... I was very impressed with From (like I was with Mitchell- last camp)

last year Prospect Camp... his skating/speed were still very good to elite... but over all- I was much less impressed... his IQ/and play recognition seemed off

Odd- that he hasn't put up better #'s in Euro hockey

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
Also from the handful of times I've seen him, he looked like a good 2-way player with above average IQ. I think even if he doesn't become an offensive force he still becomes a solid NHLer.

I gotta be honest: I don't think you watched close enough or else you just don't understand 2-way hockey and hockey-IQ.

From is absolutely not a good defensive forward and in no way does he have a high hockey-IQ.

He is all flash.

He is absolutely skilled on both his skates and has smooth hands and likes to challenge a whole lot. He just isn't very good at things including team mates. It's not, that he won't pass the puck, he just doesn't read plays well and thereby isn't able to play a high quality passing game.

He is working well, though. Especially with the puck, where he will try to beat opponents one-on-one quite a few times each game, once he feels comfortable. I guess in the first game or two he might be a bit nervous and respectful in new surroundings and hence be passing the puck more and leave it to others to do the challenging. But once he feels comefortable and perhaps also pressured to show something, he will start challenging. It will be nervewrecking and will lead to a lot of unnecessary puck losses and turnovers. That's what happened in Sweden.

On defense he will absolutely work hard with his fast and very technical skating, but he will also be out of position a lot in his work, leaving opponents open. This due to his low hockey IQ.

He is all flash.

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
I gotta be honest: I don't think you watched close enough or else you just don't understand 2-way hockey and hockey-IQ.

From is absolutely not a good defensive forward and in no way does he have a high hockey-IQ.

He is all flash.

He is absolutely skilled on both his skates and has smooth hands and likes to challenge a whole lot. He just isn't very good at things including team mates. It's not, that he won't pass the puck, he just doesn't read plays well and thereby isn't able to play a high quality passing game.

He is working well, though. Especially with the puck, where he will try to beat opponents one-on-one quite a few times each game, once he feels comfortable. I guess in the first game or two he might be a bit nervous and respectful in new surroundings and hence be passing the puck more and leave it to others to do the challenging. But once he feels comefortable and perhaps also pressured to show something, he will start challenging. It will be nervewrecking and will lead to a lot of unnecessary puck losses and turnovers. That's what happened in Sweden.

On defense he will absolutely work hard with his fast and very technical skating, but he will also be out of position a lot in his work, leaving opponents open. This due to his low hockey IQ.

He is all flash.
As I said, I've only seen him a handful of times. When I've seen him he hounded the puck and never made any egregious errors.

Disappointing to hear that his hockey IQ might not be up to snuff. With the whole league skating better each year seemingly it's harder for guys to make it on sheer raw talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad