Injury Report: Mathew Dumba - Returns Tonight vs. CHI

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
He should be playing over Stoner. Stoner just blows. At least Dumba is smart enough to do stuff with the puck. Plus being paired with Ballard instead of Prosser/Stoner might help him out.

Stoner isn't half bad to be honest. Good 3rd pairing #6 D.

Dumba should be in CHL, since he can't play in Iowa.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
He should be playing over Stoner. Stoner just blows. At least Dumba is smart enough to do stuff with the puck. Plus being paired with Ballard instead of Prosser/Stoner might help him out.

Honestly, Stoner isn't playing half bad in comparison to how he was last year. The issue is this team is filled with 15 minute defensive players and that means your top 2 D have to play more than 25 minutes a game. I played defense. Sure you can sustain a few games of over that amount, but you cannot keep it up for an entire season. Hence why we saw the D last year suck so bad after Spurgeon basically. None of those guys were ever used to even playing the amount they were expected to play.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
James Sheppard
- drafted 9th overall in 2006
- debuted in NHL at 19
- played 78 games on the fourth line
- 14th among Wild forwards in ice time that year
- fringe NHL'er

Colton Gillies
- drafted 16th overall in 2007
- debuted in NHL at 19
- played 45 games on the fourth line
- 14th among Wild forwards in ice time that year
- AHL'er

Mat Dumba
- drafted 7th overall in 2012
- debuted in NHL at 19
- played 13 of 28 games on the third pairing
- 8th among Wild defensemen in ice time this year

OpRedDawn*

How is it not comparable?

Because they're totally different players and in different circumstances.

Just because a pro doesn't meet expectations, doesn't mean you can look always look back for a sure fire reason as to why.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I haven't seen anything from Dumba that would suggest he belongs on the Wild right now. And I don't buy the argument that he can't improve with another season in junior. He has plenty of things to work on in the WHL.

It's sad to say that Sheppard was actually more dominate in junior when he was brought to the Wild than Dumba was.

bear1

Mar 3, 2011
Let him play in the WJC then send him back to Red Deer, and when his season is over bring him back or send him to Iowa. Cant be good for him to be a scratch game after game.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Send him back already. Prosser is the only one that should be in the press box. That's his purpose.

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
If you send him back to juniors, there would be room for Haula right? That would be great for the wild to get some more options on the line-up.
They could go with three scoring line and one shutdown..

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I don't understand why he was kept. If they knew they'd use him as scarcely as they have, he should've been sent back. Well, at least he'll get some games in the WJC. Sending him there is absolutely the right choice.

Billy Mays Here*

Should have never kept him. Dominating CHLers still better than sitting in the press box night after night.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
To be fair to the Wild, they had no idea that Scandella would be playing as well as he has, or that Stoner would have found a way to be consistently effective, or how how healthy Ballard is.

Selfishly, I would like to see him play. I think he is an exciting player.

montyminny

Oct 12, 2006
Good ol Twin Cities
To be fair to the Wild, they had no idea that Scandella would be playing as well as he has, or that Stoner would have found a way to be consistently effective, or how how healthy Ballard is.

Selfishly, I would like to see him play. I think he is an exciting player.

Good point on the 3 players listed above.

How about this as a reason : Red Deer - record wise - doesn't appear to be doing that well. By having Dumba here, he goes to World Juniors as the only NHL player on the team (at this point this is the case). Had he been sent to Red Deer, maybe he would have not looked so good on a maybe weak team and as a result, he doesn't get the invite?? (But since the Red Deer coach and U-20 coach is Brent Sutter, he probably would have anyway)

If he does well, the Wild brass gets to strut about how they "prepared" their player for this stage. If he doesn't do well then ....

PariseSuterKoivu

Jul 9, 2012
I think he'll have a huge WJC tournament, increase his confidence greatly and come back improved and ready for more minutes here. It should improve his trade value a bit as well, if we were to choose that route (though I really hope we keep him).

Hall of Faber

Nov 16, 2012
Thorndale, PA
Why haven't they released Dumba back to Red Deer? This can't be good for his development.

I'm thinking because once they send him to Red Deer they can not bring him back at all. They're hoping he finds some confidence at the WJC and maybe he can rotate with Stoner after. They will send him back after the WJC if they have no need for him I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad