Injury Report: Mathew Dumba - Returns Tonight vs. CHI

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
the visibility from this could be great for his trade value, or not so great if he looks bad.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Damn Dumba is in some elite company. Hopefully he learns a thing or two.

Elite forwards sure. The d is pretty interesting - especially for the Wild.

Dumba and Ceci are both 2012 draftees, RFAs. This definitely goes some way toward determining trade value and/or contract value.

Rielly is also a 2012 (5th overall) - he got a 5MM dollar deal through 2022.

Hutton, another 2012 (5th, 147th overall) really came on nicely for the Canucks, RFA in 2017 because he played college.

Tanev is a little older (26), got a 4.5MM deal through 2020.

Who outplays whom is going to be worth watching.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Hopefully they will expose that Dumba needs to be on the top power play. Highly doubt Dumba gets traded regardless of how he does. Shouldn't trade 21 year old defensemen.

Keeptdos

May 1, 2011
Finland
Haven't seen WHC thread yet, so far Dumba has been great to ok for me. Great positioning and no boneheaded plays. Solid overall.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
And on the big ice, no less.

It's easier to defend on the big ice, you can play the angles easier. Think of the difference between the NFL and the CFL. The CFL field is so wide that lesser talent players can find ways to succeed that they couldn't dream of with less space to play the angles.

The ice is bigger, but the goal size is the same, so you have more time to make up for mistakes.

That's why I always laugh when people say the NHL should go to bigger ice. That always encourages defensive systems even more because it's easier to compete with them.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Just looked at the box score, and he had the second highest TOI for defenseman, only behind Reilly.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's easier to defend on the big ice, you can play the angles easier. Think of the difference between the NFL and the CFL. The CFL field is so wide that lesser talent players can find ways to succeed that they couldn't dream of with less space to play the angles.

The ice is bigger, but the goal size is the same, so you have more time to make up for mistakes.

That's why I always laugh when people say the NHL should go to bigger ice. That always encourages defensive systems even more because it's easier to compete with them.

Sorry, but i have to disagree. Offense has an advantage on bigger ice surfaces. Puck control, and speed is super important. Physicality is harder to apply on the bigger ice, as is shutdown D.

And you're wrong on the CFL. It's simply a different game.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Sorry, but i have to disagree. Offense has an advantage on bigger ice surfaces. Puck control, and speed is super important. Physicality is harder to apply on the bigger ice, as is shutdown D.

And you're wrong on the CFL. It's simply a different game.
Completely disagree. The bigger ice is the biggest reason for the lower scores in the Olympics even though the talent is a lot higher level.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Completely disagree. The bigger ice is the biggest reason for the lower scores in the Olympics even though the talent is a lot higher level.

That and the fact most teams have world class goalies and only a few practices to gel. Also, I don't care what forwards you put out but they aren't scoring on Keith/Doughty backed up by Vlasic/Weber etc. The Olympic players - most of them at least - are paid professionally to play on small ice so expecting them to be able to adapt overnight isn't fair IMO. At least not without some impact on how they play, and on a big stage like the Olumpics guys will error on the side of caution rather than make the mistake that costs their country a medal.

I'm a believer that the big ice helps the game. More room for our world class talents, it allows skill to shine through over the 90s era types guys. Scoring would plateau as teams adjust. I wonder how scoring in Vancouver compared to Sochi.

ClayAikenFan77

Jan 1, 2016
Minneapolis
Dumba had a bad turnover on the power play that led to Hungary's only goal. He played 5:36 in the first period and only played 5:48 total the rest of the game.. yikes.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Dumba had a bad turnover on the power play that led to Hungary's only goal. He played 5:36 in the first period and only played 5:48 total the rest of the game.. yikes.

Who's coaching?

They obviously have a very short leash when it comes to young players. :help:

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
BB could easily get Dumba playing like Mike Green during his hayday, will be very interesting to see if he gets #1 PP time this season.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
BB could easily get Dumba playing like Mike Green during his hayday, will be very interesting to see if he gets #1 PP time this season.

I don't know that having Dumba become a 30 goal, 70 point defenseman will happen easily, no matter who coaches him. It is possible, but I'd hesitate to even say that.

I do agree though, that Dumba should be getting #1 PP time. That doesn't mean he's one of the best defensemen on the team, and it doesn't mean he's a top 4 defenseman, but his shot is a weapon this team cannot afford to not use.

I really hope this team can come together as a team next year, without all the rumors (and where there's smoke, there's usually fire) of locker room turmoil. Here's to hoping for a fresh vision not just with the coach, but with the team.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Dumba mishandles the puck a LOT. Don't know how and if he can fix that, but he needs to. Giveaways from a guy like Vanek are one thing, giveaways from a Dman are something else again.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would hope that Dumba + 1st would get us the 4th. If the Oilers really believe in one of the D in the draft, they might go there, but all I have heard says that there are no Ekblads or Jones in this draft. Don't see EDM Wanting yet another teen Dman to develop. Don't know if Dumba is that steadying influence on the back end, but they also need a PP Dman, and Dumba can help with that.

Almost positive they would do the 4oa for Spurgeon, as he checks a lot of the boxes for them, but do we want to do that? Spurgeon is a sure thing just entering his prime. A draft pick is anything but sure.

I have no idea what value Zucker has, but it can't be very high. Lower than 15oa. His production last year was abysmal, and he ended up on a low. Unless the Wild can get decent value for him, I would like to see them hold on to him and see if he can bounce back this year. He is one of the most confusing players on the Wild, for me.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Would Dumba+Zucker/1st get us Dubois. I think he honestly could become a star in this league.

As much as I like that 4th OA pick, I'd have to seriously consider it. Just because you can find really good players at 15 and I don't want to give that up. I think you could give up less for a pick at 7/8 OA and get an almost comparable player who is available at 4. Will dubois/tkachuck be way better than jost/keller/nylander etc.?, maybe but it's hard to say.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I would hope that Dumba + 1st would get us the 4th. If the Oilers really believe in one of the D in the draft, they might go there, but all I have heard says that there are no Ekblads or Jones in this draft. Don't see EDM Wanting yet another teen Dman to develop. Don't know if Dumba is that steadying influence on the back end, but they also need a PP Dman, and Dumba can help with that.

Almost positive they would do the 4oa for Spurgeon, as he checks a lot of the boxes for them, but do we want to do that? Spurgeon is a sure thing just entering his prime. A draft pick is anything but sure.

I have no idea what value Zucker has, but it can't be very high. Lower than 15oa. His production last year was abysmal, and he ended up on a low. Unless the Wild can get decent value for him, I would like to see them hold on to him and see if he can bounce back this year. He is one of the most confusing players on the Wild, for me.

I don't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad