Player Discussion: Mathew Barzal

Status
Not open for further replies.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Barzal is special. seems to have a real mature attitude for a kid, and he really seems to have that desire. i don't want to sound dramatic, but he may have saved this team. maybe not saved it from eternal damnation, or anything like that, but really gave the team an identity (beyond JT) and could well be the reason that other significant players consider the Isles.

for the past 24 years, i could not give up on the team. no matter what they put us through. i was hopeful then, but now i am happy. genuine smile on my face. :)

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
The PHWA is supposed to release the ballots, so once they do we can find out who voted Scarzal 3rd and boo that person.

Reactions: Riseonfire

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
It has to be a homer media person located in either Vancouver or Arizona.

Considering Gourde and Sergachev got top two votes, my bet is a Tampa writer put Barzal third.

Chapter Chair
Erik Erlendsson, LightningInsiders.com @Erik_Erlendsson
Members
Mark Didtler, Associated Press, 2007
Martin Fennelly, Tampa Bay Times, 2008 @mjfennelly
Joe Smith, Tampa Bay Times, 2014 @TBTimes_JSmith
Trevor Grout, The Scrum Sports, 2016 @TrevorG_Scrum
Brooks Roland, The Scrum Sports, 2017 @BrooksRoland82

Erlendsson and Smith had Barzal first. The other four haven't released their ballots. I'm thinking Grout or Roland.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Whoever voted him 3rd, and even 2nd for that matter is a sorry ass loser. I'd be willing to bet that their argument is "well if Brock Boeser didn't get hurt he would've won."

He got hurt. He didn't play a full season. Barzal had a better rookie season. Brock may go onto win a Hart before Mat, and be a better player for the rest of his career but this full 82 game season Barzal was better, plain as day. If you can't admit that , you're just a big dumb idiot.

CONGRATULATIONS MATHEW!

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Congrats to one of my favs on the ROTY.

I'm looking forward to him repeating another 80 pt. + season.

+-30 goals +-60 assists. +-90 sophomore season.

anything less will be disappointing.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Congrats to one of my favs on the ROTY.

I'm looking forward to him repeating another 80 pt. + season.

+-30 goals +-60 assists. +-90 sophomore season.

anything less will be disappointing.

My bet is he probably has less 5 on 5 points next season as teams are better prepared to play him but he will get 40+ power play points(up from 27 last year)

scott99

May 13, 2005
I was thinking, wow, 46 years, and the Isles have only had 5 rookies of the year. Then I looked at the Rangers, since 1972, they’ve only had TWO rookies of the year.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I think Ebs is just try to parlay his own experience to Barzy. Ebs used to hold on the puck a lot in his younger days with the Oilers and he got checked and hit. He knows that after a while other teams learns your puck handling tendencies and start to wait for the right moment to steal the pucks from you. Even JT has learned that too. He also used to hang on the pucks longer but now he would try to move them a bit faster to avoid getting checked. The reason is that there are so many good checkers in NHL who can steal pucks from you once you stop skating and in fact some of them get to keep their jobs in the NHL because they are exceptionally good at doing exactly that. Holding the pucks too long is especially dangerous when you do it near your own blue line. One successful steal will send a fast moving opposing players on a partial breakaway the other way. Marner did that quite a bit last year too but soon he learns that this is not junior and he needs to be more careful. Thus he does not do that as much now. I think it is the same way with Johnny Hockey from Calgary as well.

Barzy is extremely talented but he can still learn from others who knows because they have been there.
It was sarcasm

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Jim Thomas, St. Louis Post Dispatch had a brain injury:
Keller
DeBrincat
Barzal

Gann Matsuda of Frozen Royalty (?) had Gourde first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA