Player Discussion: Mathew Barzal

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
Yeah. McDavid is probably the best player in the league.

My hot take, Barzal right now looks like the 2nd best forward from his draft year. Sorry Eichel, you're not worth $10M/year.

If I'm a Sabres fan, I'm not happy with Eichel, knowing that there were other options available. He petulant, and I really don't think he's the kind of guy who can lead a team to a championship. I honestly think that Barzal is the kind of guy who can, even if he's not THE guy.

Reactions: bigtim1988

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
If I'm a Sabres fan, I'm not happy with Eichel, knowing that there were other options available. He petulant, and I really don't think he's the kind of guy who can lead a team to a championship. I honestly think that Barzal is the kind of guy who can, even if he's not THE guy.

Barzal has the biggest smile on the ice not named Cizikas, he loves playing and seems happy to be here... Eichel is going to get more coaches fired, not sure what the issue is but Bylsma stinks and Housley isn't great... you know Cappy is next

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
First the arena and now Barzal exploding?

I'm guessing the contract with the devil after the glory years has finally expired.

This right here. It was made null and void once Pittsburgh tied the Isles for cups. It was also extended to allow the Rangers to win in 94 after the Isles broke said agreement by upsetting Pittsburgh in 93

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
That is true, and JT had to be a #1C right away... well grateful that we have Barzal and did not trade for Mr Minus 34

good lord, if we traded Barzal for Duchene and see Barzal tear it up on the Avs while seeing Duchene continue to disappoint while being a headache in the locker room that he seems to be, yea I am not sure I would be able to watch hockey for at least a decade or so

Reactions: SI90 and bigtim1988

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
still can't believe how good this kid is. When a player has elite talent, its clear as day and it leaves you without question--you just know.

This is so true. And it's also an example of how long it's been since we've had one. I love Tavares, but he had the flaring skating issue to work on, and more power to him for doing so, but the last Barzal-type player we had was Bryan Berard, who was on a clear path to great, but Milbury ruined him. I remain a big Berard fan, and I never liked the trade... still don't.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Barzal has that "it" factor no one can truly explain but he appears to just get it. His learning curve it off the charts. Glad we finally have a talent like this on the blue white and orange. I'll tell ya, this budding player sure must make JT's decision a tad easier one would suspect. Let's button up the D and start playing some pre spring time hockey and get back to talking about the division lead.....focus on what is in front of you, put the heads down and start grinding out the points.....sounds easy right lol

Reactions: SI90

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
good lord, if we traded Barzal for Duchene and see Barzal tear it up on the Avs while seeing Duchene continue to disappoint while being a headache in the locker room that he seems to be, yea I am not sure I would be able to watch hockey for at least a decade or so

I think back to draft day 8 1/2 years ago when I was listening to XM Radio just before the draft, and there's Brian Burke categorically convincing himself that the Islanders were going to take Matt Duchene 1st overall so he could trade some spare parts to move up in the draft and take Tavares 2nd or 3rd.

I wanted Matt Duchene, too. And as much as I didn't want to trade Barzal, I was intellectually willing to put him in a trade for Duchene and just hope he didn't become a star. Obviously, I'm glad that didn't happen. If Duchene's value was low heading out of Colorado, right now, he's 2nd round pick worthy.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
I was strongly against any package that included Barzal in a Duchene trade. I loved this kids skill skating but i never expected him to be this good already. It would have been as bad as any Milbury trade if Snow traded Barzal for Duchene.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
I think back to draft day 8 1/2 years ago when I was listening to XM Radio just before the draft, and there's Brian Burke categorically convincing himself that the Islanders were going to take Matt Duchene 1st overall so he could trade some spare parts to move up in the draft and take Tavares 2nd or 3rd.

I wanted Matt Duchene, too. And as much as I didn't want to trade Barzal, I was intellectually willing to put him in a trade for Duchene and just hope he didn't become a star. Obviously, I'm glad that didn't happen. If Duchene's value was low heading out of Colorado, right now, he's 2nd round pick worthy.
We got the better Mat.

Reactions: The G Man

scott99

May 13, 2005
still can't believe how good this kid is. When a player has elite talent, its clear as day and it leaves you without question--you just know.
It’s amazing. He’s done in 36 games, what I thought he’d do in 82 games. Think about it, 12 goals, 23 assists and 35 points is a pretty damned good rookie season. If someone told me that would be his rookie season total, I would’ve been happy. I think that’s what I predicted (less goals though).

Also, I always thought 20 goals would be his ceiling as far as goals in a season. Thought he’d be a 15 goal 40-50 assists kind of player (Adam Oates comparison as far as stats, not playing style). He’s proving me wrong as far as scoring goals.

The confidence he has in himself is unbelievable, I know his teammates and coaches have tons of confidence in him, but his self confidence is through the roof. I just hope he can continue this throughout his career. Makes things happen almost EVERY shift. Even the power play goal they scored against Winnipeg was due to his slick pass, despite not getting an assist.

Just wonderful to watch. Nice to see a prospect finally pay off.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
[/QUOTE] The confidence he has in himself is unbelievable, I know his teammates and coaches have tons of confidence in him, but his self confidence is through the roof.[/QUOTE]

100%. Even in the pregame interview with butch yesterday you could tell. Barzal is extremely confident in his own ability and he’s proved everyone wrong thus far. Looks like he can score after all. Still remember how happy I was when we drafted him

Last edited:

scott99

May 13, 2005
Listen, it’s too early to say Barzal is the second best player from the 2015 Draft, meaning he’s better than Eichel. I’m not so sure about that just yet. I’m thrilled with the way Barzal is playing, and if he continues at THIS pace, then I’ll revisit. Eichel is a helluva player with elite talent. Barzal has elite talent too. Let’s not forget guys, Barzal was rated a top 5 pick before he got hurt in his pre draft season, the scouts all knew he had elite talent.

This means he was a top 5 player in one of the most historic drafts that people were talking about 4 or 5 years before. It’s just playing out as people predicted. McDavid, Eichel, Strome and Marner were the only guys rated ahead of Barzal as of September 2014. All elite talents, Strome is the only one who hasn’t made an impact yet.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
The confidence he has in himself is unbelievable, I know his teammates and coaches have tons of confidence in him, but his self confidence is through the roof.

100%. Even in the pregame interview with butch yesterday you could tell. Barzal is extremely confident in his own ability and he’s proved everyone wrong thus far. Looks like he can score after all. Still remember how happy I was when we drafted him[/QUOTE]

the kid has swag. you just love watching him play, because the passion and love for the game is obvious.

I think he has more natural ability than JT at the same age, and he seems to have a similar work ethic. Elite Skill+Solid Work Ethic= Endless Potential...........

Straight up, this kid has the potential to be a top 10 player in the game. Sure, anything can happen, and he can come back down to earth just as easily, but I have little doubt that he's destined for greatness.

Reactions: The G Man

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
100%. Even in the pregame interview with butch yesterday you could tell. Barzal is extremely confident in his own ability and he’s proved everyone wrong thus far. Looks like he can score after all. Still remember how happy I was when we drafted him

the kid has swag. you just love watching him play, because the passion and love for the game is obvious.

I think he has more natural ability than JT at the same age, and he seems to have a similar work ethic. Elite Skill+Solid Work Ethic= Endless Potential...........

Straight up, this kid has the potential to be a top 10 player in the game. Sure, anything can happen, and he can come back down to earth just as easily, but I have little doubt that he's destined for greatness.[/QUOTE]

Maybe a hot take, maybe not, he’s the second best skater in the nhl behind mcdavid. Other than mcD, I’ve never seen such speed and agility

Sorry my quotes keep f***ing up lol

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Sometimes the stars align and things fall into place. Between the knee injury, the interviews, and the way the draft boards shook out we got real lucky.
We also needed EDM to make the moronic decision to trade for Reinhart.

Matty has that rare combination of skill/talent, heart/desire, and work ethic.

He’s a gym rat. My favorite story is from one of the writers the night before the draft he walked by the gym in the hotel and Barza was working out at 2am! Kid was going to have the biggest day of his life in a few hours and he’s working out in the middle of the night. Love it.

He’s got that Tavares like it factor. Total package

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad