Mathew Barzal vs. Dylan Larkin

Barzal vs. Larkin

• Dylan Larkin

• Mathew Barzal

• Even / See Results

Results are only viewable after voting.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Barzal just feels like the "ceiling" offensively is so much higher. Even if the production doesn't entirely bear that out. His vision and dynamic playmaking are just on a different level. Where Larkin is a good player, but feels like he's sort of hit his ceiling and plateaued as a player.

Maybe it's a bit of an illusion or a tease. But it feels like at any moment, Barzal could go from PPG to just explode into a completely different tier of player. If he just found the right linemates to cash in on his setups, and decided to shoot the puck a little bit more himself.

Reactions: wintersej

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
Barzal just feels like the "ceiling" offensively is so much higher. Even if the production doesn't entirely bear that out. His vision and dynamic playmaking are just on a different level. Where Larkin is a good player, but feels like he's sort of hit his ceiling and plateaued as a player.

Maybe it's a bit of an illusion or a tease. But it feels like at any moment, Barzal could go from PPG to just explode into a completely different tier of player. If he just found the right linemates to cash in on his setups, and decided to shoot the puck a little bit more himself.
I have been hearing the "Larkin has hit his peak" 3 seasons ago, and has been having career years since.

Honestly, I think this board sleeps on Larkin as a talent.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Larkin for me. More complete player. Barzal might have the most skewed offensive vs defensive zone deployments I've seen in quite some time, and I'm not sure what he's doing on face-offs this season but it's not working. Barzal is a great playmaker, but I prefer a guy who can give you minutes on the PK also.

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
Wings fan saying Barzal but its close and honestly based still on potential. Larkin has improved immensely and really grown into the role of a 1C, Barzal (I get the stats were suppressed due to Trotz and I don't really care about that) needs to drive to the net more and be less of a perimeter player to really be the superstar he can. Not like anyone really can hit or slash you anymore in this league lol

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Last season + this one

Goals: Larkin
Points/Game: Larkin
+/- : Larkin
Even strength Points: Larkin
Faceoff%: Larkin
Hits: Larkin

..how exactly is Barzal winning this?

He had a great season as a 20yr old and plays a flashier style that people like.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Barzal is certainly more talented, but I'd say that Larkin is a bit better now and in the last while.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Last season + this one

Because HFboards hates all things Red Wings, and has for a while. He's not our only player that gets disrespected on this site.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He had a great season as a 20yr old and plays a flashier style that people like.

Yeah, theyre close as players but Barzal plays a flashy style that will draw peoples eye more in a game. Larkin is just a work horse who does a bit of everything at a very high level.

The last couple years their offense has been very comparable and I dont think anyone would argue Barzal as being as good as Larkin defensively. If I'm in a playoff series I would want Larkin as my number one center matched up with the other teams top guy over Barzal

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I’ll take the guy who played with a perimeter player and one of the slowest power forwards in the league for most of his career. Then again I also have a bias in my voting.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Yeah, theyre close as players but Barzal plays a flashy style that will draw peoples eye more in a game. Larkin is just a work horse who does a bit of everything at a very high level.

The last couple years their offense has been very comparable and I dont think anyone would argue Barzal as being as good as Larkin defensively. If I'm in a playoff series I would want Larkin as my number one center matched up with the other teams top guy over Barzal

Maybe im biased, but Barzal raises his game come playoffs, has great advanced stats in the playoffs, playing with average at best wingers. These 2 players are pretty comparable, but i dont know how you say youd prefer an older player with no track record in the playoffs, over the younger proven playoff performer.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Maybe im biased, but Barzal raises his game come playoffs, has great advanced stats in the playoffs, playing with average at best wingers. These 2 players are pretty comparable, but i dont know how you say youd prefer an older player with no track record in the playoffs, over the younger proven playoff performer.

I think it probably is your bias. Barzal's half a season worth of games in the playoffs where his scoring pace has actually gone down in the playoffs isnt enough to swing this either way. And then pulling the age card where they arent even a full 10 months apart in age but have 4-500 games of NHL experience to pull conclusions from seems like a huge reach.

I'm not saying youre wrong for taking Barzal, I can see why people would, theyre close. I just dont think your reasoning makes sense and I dont think its reasoning someone who isnt biased would use.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Last season + this one

Larkin doesn’t get any respect on these boards. I don’t think he even finishes top 50 in those summer center polls which says a lot about how underrated he is around here. It’s fine, we know how valuable he is and that’s all that really matters.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

lol what?

Barzal being a no show in the playoffs is a big reason NYI couldn't get over the Lightning in both years.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Barz has been getting the same treatment that Tavares got for a long time. The “well he’ll get his points with anyone so let’s stack lines 2 and 3” strategy. Isles fans have been waiting for a stud to be brought in to play with him for a while. It was almost Panarin but he bailed. Maybe this year it’ll be Kane. Who knows.

Either way he just keeps doing his thing, scoring points. When he’s on his game though he’s one of the most fun players in the league to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad