"Massive Shake-up Looms" | 2013 Summer Trade & Signing Talk - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Inevitably, in the coaching and post-apocolyptic post-game threads after these kinds of losses, thoughts turn to "what happens if". Here are my predictions IF we get swept or "lose ugly in 5":

Bylsma and Assistants - canned
Won't hazard a guess on replacement but I fear it won't be Dave Tippett.

Fleury - traded / bought out
I believe he will be gone regardless, unless he literally does a 180 and shuts our opposition down the rest of the way / makes tons of big saves. But, I don't think his value is as low as some people think. There is likely at least one or two teams out there who would look at this guy and say "It's all mental; he's got the talent and experience; just needs a change in venue." And give us a couple of valuable prospects or picks for him. Possibly Edmonton, Calgary, maybe even the Islanders. Can you imagine that ****-storm if he went there and did a 180? Red-panda-monium.

Letang - traded
I don't like it on a gut level (you just don't trade guys with his set of skills), and it's hard to believe, but I suspect Shero would trade Letang if it could guarantee him the ability to keep Geno and Iginla. We have the prospect depth to replace him, in the end analysis. Short term it never makes sense. Long-term, it might. He may be Norris quality in the regular season but he is erratic at best in the playoffs. Undisciplined at the worst times. Talent is undeniable, but so is his lack of brains at this point. Although part of me wants to put that on the coaches too / believe that with good coaches Letang wouldn't make so many stupid mistakes. Unfair? I don't know but if we did trade him Letang gets us a Top 10 pick in this draft, easy... and probably a lot more.

Niskanen - traded
We've revived his career and gotten all we can get out of him. He doesn't fit the mold of what we need long-term (namely someone bigger / tougher in our own zone) and he could easily fetch a 2nd round pick, which we need.

Orpik - stays
Changed my tune on this one. He's definitely had some bad times this year and he's definitely not "Candyman Brooks" anymore, but he's shown his value in the playoffs, even during crappy games... and he's a no BS type player and now a grizzled, grinding veteran, likely to take a modest salary when the time comes. I can't see Shero cutting him loose in light of current roster and cap situation. Shero traded for Hall Gill for Chrissakes. Orpik now is still miles better than Gill was then.

Martin - stays
Best overall and most consistent D right now, simple as that. Earned the right to stay.

Murray - signed
I believe we'll give Murray a two year deal. If it doesn't work out, he'll be easy to move. He is slow but does a good job at his role and is not likely to fall off in that role the next year or two. He brings an element we need, assuming we can surround him with some better defensive talent.

Eaton - let go

Beyond that not sure what will happen with guys like Engo and Bortuzzo. They're sort of on the margins and could go either way IMO. They're not the core of the problem / solution.

----------------------

Crosbar & Neal / Geno & Kunitz - staying / extended
Nuff said. Great core forwards, zero reason to F with it, statistically or otherwise.

Dupuis - extended
Shero magic: 3 years, $2.5M. I believe in Liver-Eating Dupuis and his mountainous beard. He'll stay / won't be a ****** when it comes to salary. Give him a fair raise and term and he'll stay without asking maximum dollars. That last year might be a little painful if he slows down but considering his current age and showing zero signs of anything but being a fast, effective player... I'm giving the benefit of the doubt.

Iginla - signed
Sold his house, has played well despite mis-use, great in the room. I think he'll take a reduction if it's reasonable and with Fleury gone we'll have the room for something like 3 years $4M. Iggy isn't going in for maximum dollars. He wants Cups and I think he likes it here hopefully, despite the bad result that is looming (but by no means guaranteed... we're still in it if we win Game 3).

Sutter - extended
A good and affordable 3C who brings a lot to the table even if he isn't Jordan Staal. He's young enough that he might do 2 years, $3.5M ballpark for the two seasons after next. Then have a shot at a bigger pay day, still in his prime after that.

Kennedy - let go
As per the usual discussions.

Morrow - let go
Clearly a rental only type player.

Cooke - extended
Two years and with his age and reputation, he'll take what we offer IMO. Probably $1.5M.

Beyond that who knows... but I do think a couple big pieces are going to go and I think they'll be defensive pieces. And I think we'll have a draft worth paying attention to after all (because we'll get picks in the trades).

Last edited:

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
I say keep Letang and maybe Orpik, Murray and gut everyone else on D. Martin makes to much for just being "okay". Bring up one or two D prospects to develop them and hope someone breaks out. If the Pens have to go through a mini-rebuild to pay dividends later so be it. Malkin and Crosby are still young.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
I say trade Fleury and I think someone would want him, question is what would they give up considering his contract. So I say a buyout is more likely.

Beaudangles19

Dec 10, 2012
USA
i would be kinda happy if we traded Geno right now, 1 of the most skilled players in the world but sometimes lazy, we all know what Geno can do

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Aside from addressing goaltending, I don't see much happening.

This team has made a habit of rationalizing it's playoff meltdowns every year. I don't see that changing.

And unless your hand is forced... trading Malkin has to be one of the dumbest things the team could do. You'll never get close to his value.

fate

Apr 15, 2007
niskanen gone
orpik/murray keep 1/lose 1
iginla haven't seen much from him lately, unsure
fleury is good but the team needs a playoff performer so he's no longer a good fit, too much headcase
sutter/dupuis definitely keep
TK i hestitate but i think keep ugh i hate myself
bylsma gone

Beaudangles19

Dec 10, 2012
USA
niskanen gone
fleury is good but the team needs a playoff performer so he's no longer a good fit, too much headcase
bylsma gone

what about Geno and Tanger?

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
I'll take a few stabs in the dark. More like wishful thinking though:

Letang - to NSH for the 4th overall pick
Niskanen - traded to someone for a 2nd/3rd
Dan Bylsma - drawn and quartered
Despres - full time NHLer
Bennett - permanent top-sixer until sometime in the mid 2020's
One of Maatta, Pouliot or Harrington - one of these guys makes the big squad out of camp

Hard to tell what's going to go on with the forwards. A lot of flux without a lot of young capable replacements.

SuburbanRhythm

WorldClassJagoff
May 6, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
I wanted Iginla here. ALOT.

Unless he's going to be a 3rd liner/PP guy, I'm not sure I see where he fits.

87, 71, 18, 14, and (God willing) 9 are pretty set in the top 6. Beau Bennett should have every chance to earn a top 6 job.

Agree on Niskanen. Long term, he wasn't in the plans. Move on now.

Agree on Orpik. He's been much better in the playoffs than during the regular season (nowhere to go but up?).

Letang. He's an idiot. But damn, he's a talented idiot. I'd hate to give up on him without matching him, long term, with someone who accepts his an idiot, and can play accordingly. Mark Eaton is not that guy.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
I'll take a few stabs in the dark. More like wishful thinking though:

Letang - to NSH for the 4th overall pick
Niskanen - traded to someone for a 2nd/3rd
Dan Bylsma - drawn and quartered
Despres - full time NHLer
Bennett - permanent top-sixer until sometime in the mid 2020's
One of Maatta, Pouliot or Harrington - one of these guys makes the big squad out of camp

Hard to tell what's going to go on with the forwards. A lot of flux without a lot of young capable replacements.

This is what I say defensively, go through some pain on defense for a season to have a fresh young corp later. I think the "We must win the stanley cup every year because we have Sid and Gen" mentality hurts the team in the long haul.

fate

Apr 15, 2007
what about Geno and Tanger?

sorry i had it in my head put forgot to jot, keep geno lose letang. letang's upside is continually wiped out by poor play defensively and we have more than enough offensive talent.

SuburbanRhythm

WorldClassJagoff
May 6, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
niskanen gone
bylsma gone

The only way TK is back is if, after being non-tendered, nobody else makes him a better offer than the $700k Shero throws at him.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
I would possibly trade Malkin even though he is probably the most skilled player on the world, could get a ton for him.

Even if we got a lot in return for him trade-value wise which we probably would... talent like his can never fully be replaced. No matter who we got in exchange for him, we'd be getting the raw end of the deal IMO.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yes...but Sid and Geno are in their primes. The window to win isn't open forever.

Sad thing is right now...there's not a lot I want changed in the lineup. Eaton out, Despres in would be okay...or Bortuzzo...or someone for Niskanen...or Letang.

Vokoun back in goal is a must. The biggest thing that needs to go is Bylsma. End of story. This guy is not winning us a cup. Period. He rode the coattails of MT...that's it. Ever since, his system has produced nothing but embarrassing playoff exits. Its time for him to go.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Agree w/ everything CV said. I'd like to see:

Bylsma and all assistants fired. Get a whole new staff in here.

Fleury traded or bought out. $5 mil a year for a complete headcase who you can't even start in the playoffs.

Letang. Traded. See above. We'd be crazy to pay him over $5 mil a year. He's not a shutdown D'man. He's terrible on the PP. And despite scoring some points, he's a liability 5 on 5. I think he's way overrated, but hopefully could fetch a high pick and a rugged winger.

Niskanen. Sucks.

Orpik. I'll disagree w/ you here Chancellor. I've seen about enough of him. He's old, slowing down, and injury prone. Jagr is 62 years old and ran him right over last night (leading to a goal). If he'd play for the minimum, he'd be worth it in a bottom 6 pairing. Other than that, buh bye.

Jokinen. Trade him for something. I like him, but he has no role on this team, unless we keep him for 3rd line center and deal Sutter. He's not physical enough for a 4th line role.

Kennedy, Adams, Morrow, Glass. Gone. On the fence about Cooke. Need to completely revamp the bottom 6. Need to get bigger, meaner, and more physical. I like Cooke a lot, but I'm not sure he's worth the risk anymore.

If you can keep Iginla, which I doubt is possible if Bylsma's still the coach, then your top 6 is set. You also have a legitimate fill in if an injury occurs (Bennett).

Bottom 6 will be an issue. If you have Sutter and Vitale as centers. Bennett and Cooke as wingers. Or play Bennett w/ Sid and move Dupers down. Need to fill 2 or 3 spots. Find some mean and nasty guys that'll bang bodies and go to the net.

Defense also needs revamped. Need to bring in someone, and hope Despres and Bortz are ready.
Martin-FA
Murray-Despres
Bortz-Engo
Ugh, that's bad. Maybe we do need to keep Orpik.

fate

Apr 15, 2007
The only way TK is back is if, after being non-tendered, nobody else makes him a better offer than the $700k Shero throws at him.

i don't think i'd want to offer him much more than that anyway, not another 2 year/2 mil type deal

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Instead of trading Letang... we should look for his long-term partner. Eaton/Niskanen are not the solution for him. He needs a solid D-partner. Maybe Harrington/Despres could become the ones.

Eaton, Morrow, Murray, Kennedy, Fleury, Adams, Niskanen, Glass all need to go (trade, not re-signed, be bought out). Murray is not bad and I am not blaming him, but in a long season I see no reason for him. Iginla is a question-mark along with Jokinen.

Resign Cooke & Dupuis, go after Horton and a D-man, promote Despres, Dumoulin, Bennett for a full-time job.

Fire Bylsma, hire Hynes. Hynes knows how to play defense and how to play up to potential.

Last edited:

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
this team is too comfortable. the good ole' boys group needs to go. crosby needs to find some new bff's. letang and fleury should be gone. i would say neal too, but his play recently has impressed me and he's signed for awhile.

Beaudangles19

Dec 10, 2012
USA
Agree w/ everything CV said. I'd like to see:

Bylsma and all assistants fired. Get a whole new staff in here.

Fleury traded or bought out. $5 mil a year for a complete headcase who you can't even start in the playoffs.

Letang. Traded. See above. We'd be crazy to pay him over $5 mil a year. He's not a shutdown D'man. He's terrible on the PP. And despite scoring some points, he's a liability 5 on 5. I think he's way overrated, but hopefully could fetch a high pick and a rugged winger.

Niskanen. Sucks.

Orpik. I'll disagree w/ you here Chancellor. I've seen about enough of him. He's old, slowing down, and injury prone. Jagr is 62 years old and ran him right over last night (leading to a goal). If he'd play for the minimum, he'd be worth it in a bottom 6 pairing. Other than that, buh bye.

Jokinen. Trade him for something. I like him, but he has no role on this team, unless we keep him for 3rd line center and deal Sutter. He's not physical enough for a 4th line role.

Kennedy, Adams, Morrow, Glass. Gone. On the fence about Cooke. Need to completely revamp the bottom 6. Need to get bigger, meaner, and more physical. I like Cooke a lot, but I'm not sure he's worth the risk anymore.

If you can keep Iginla, which I doubt is possible if Bylsma's still the coach, then your top 6 is set. You also have a legitimate fill in if an injury occurs (Bennett).

Bottom 6 will be an issue. If you have Sutter and Vitale as centers. Bennett and Cooke as wingers. Or play Bennett w/ Sid and move Dupers down. Need to fill 2 or 3 spots. Find some mean and nasty guys that'll bang bodies and go to the net.

Defense also needs revamped. Need to bring in someone, and hope Despres and Bortz are ready.
Martin-FA
Murray-Despres
Bortz-Engo
Ugh, that's bad. Maybe we do need to keep Orpik.

If we trade Letang I think we could get the 1st pick and take jones.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Swept or out in 5: Bylsma goes, Hynes replaces him.

1. Bad call, but entirely predictable.

2. If Bylsma stays (say the Pens lose in 6 and make a 'valiant' comeback effort), then who's 100% sure that Malkin rushes to resign and doesn't say, a la Staal, 'I'd love to stay, but I'd like to see what my options are in a year'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad