Mason Raymond is Really Fun To Watch

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
would rather spend 3-4 on kulemin.

however, if we spend 3, i'd to a 2 year contract so he doesn't become too comfortable. i can see the canucks fans being right about him. i'd rather give him a 2-2.5 million, no longer than 3 years

i'd hate to lose his speed, but if we have kulemin, leivo coming up, d'amigo, we can fill in for him on pk, speed, cycle game and smarts between them.

raymond is one of the best values that we signed and makes the 5.25 mil for clarkson a little easier to take.

Avec Fromage*

He won't be re-signed unless Reimer or Bernier is moved. There's just no cap space.

7.0 Phaneuf
4.0 Bolland
3.5 Gardiner
3.5 Reimer
3.0 Kulemin
2.0 McClement
1.5 Ranger/Fraser/UFA defenceman

= 0.455 cap space (assuming 71.1 ceiling) with 11 forwards, 7 defencemen, 2 goalies

Last edited by a moderator:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Personally not a fan, too soft and loses too many puck battles but couldn't be happier that he is producing nice numbers for a million bucks.

This is it for me.

Points are welcomed but he's a terrible player who I can't see the Leafs retaining.

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
Raymond is a good 2nd liner on most teams. He is a little soft though and does not play a physical game. I would have rather kept McCaurthur but he did not like Carlyle. If we have cap room keep him depending on what he asks for. Anything under 3 mill and I'll take it.

Mindrust

Feb 28, 2013
Contract year..

Exactly. Canucks fans have even said he's very inconsistent. I mean he went unsigned for a reason. He knows it's do or die if he wants to continue his career. I would offer him as trade bait. I mean he's been amazing so far, but who knows how long he'll disappear when he gets signed to a real contract.

hackamore

Jul 8, 2011
Exactly. Canucks fans have even said he's very inconsistent. I mean he went unsigned for a reason. He knows it's do or die if he wants to continue his career. I would offer him as trade bait. I mean he's been amazing so far, but who knows how long he'll disappear when he gets signed to a real contract.

Last two years were contract years for him too. Last two years were also him getting over a couple broken vertebrae from Stanley Cup finals against Boston which the Vancouver media and fanbase had zero patience for. Toronto is not the only place that can be super hard on their whipping boys. True he can be inconsistent, but so were the Canucks the last couple of years, and he has not been any worse than most of the Leafs this year. Now that he is healthier who knows how he will continue to do. Vancouver fans/media have no better idea than Toronto does right now.

thunderhawk905*

Solid PK'er as well. Depending on his price we should definitely keep him.

He is extremely soft on the PK. We saw evidence of that last week when he couldn't make a simple clear and got taken off the puck a few times in the defensive end. His role here is not to kill penalties.

McClement, Kulemin, D'Amigo, Bozak/Bolland are far more effective.

Celly Hard

Nov 5, 2013
Ontario
I like him a lot. I'd be absolutely PSYCHED to bring him back at $2 mil per year, and would be happy to have him at $3 mil per year. If we have to give him $4 mil per year, then we probably let him walk, it's a bit much for Raymond, and just not in our budget (especially with Clarkson eating up $5.25 mil in cap space basically forever).

2M sure. 3M no way. He constantly looks off his teammates, its so irritating to watch

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
He won't be re-signed unless Reimer or Bernier is moved. There's just no cap space.

7.0 Phaneuf
4.0 Bolland
3.5 Gardiner
3.5 Reimer
3.0 Kulemin
2.0 McClement
1.5 Ranger/Fraser/UFA defenceman

= 0.455 cap space (assuming 71.1 ceiling) with 11 forwards, 7 defencemen, 2 goalies

Why is Reimer getting 3.5? Why is kulemin getting a raise? Why is Gardiner getting 3.5? Why is either of Fraser or ranger getting 1.5? He won't be back, but those numbers are all off..

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
He is a soft as they come, so I say I hope he continues to get points and we move him at the deadline as I just do not see us getting him at a Cap Hit that makes sense.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Style wise, with the puck, he reminds me a lot of Justin Williams. Just how they think the game when the puck is on their stick. He's been a pleasant surprise for me this year.

BluPuk*

I watched him for years in Vancouver and thus was not too excited when he showed up in camp. I liked the idea of having him as a cheap addition. Basically, I wouldn't mind keeping him around beyond this year at a reasonable salary(similar to what it is now), but... other then the start of the year and a few exceptions since he has had the same issues as in Vancouver. He is invisible most of the time. Shies away from any form of contact. Last night as a textbook example of his occasionally stupid penalty. He is an okay penalty killer, but not great. The same frustration with him is the once every two-three weeks he plays like last night.

Awesome speed. Love watching him go! THAT'S hockey...:D

BTW, ktf: love your avatar! Lots of class there.:handclap:

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
why would we give Mason Raymond 3 mill when we can find a Raymond-esque player for 1mill? we did the same with Clarke Mcarthur... then signed him, let him go to FA, we can find another 2-3rd line tweener for cheaper, as were already spending 4.2 mill on a tweener for the next 4 years and 5.2 for another one.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Raymond is fun to watch but the exact type of player that is only valuable on a cheap deal. Once he gets a pay raise he isn't very valuable and just the new version of Hagman, Stajan, etc. who are taking up a role from a younger player who can do a similar job at a much cheaper rate + taking up million or two (or more) that could be put towards a higher end player.

I'd like to trade him for additional picks as guys like Holland, Leivo, Gautheir will fill those middle 6 minutes over the next few seasons + having extra cap space for a higher end player.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Raymond has elite finesse. The only reason he's not an elite player is because he's too weak and doesn't have an elite shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad