Dreger: Mason Marchment hitting Free Agency

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Is this news? Florida was never going to re-sign him with Huberdeau hitting UFA next season

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
If NYI don't get the big winger (Gaudreau, Miller, or Tarasenko) I believe they'll be in on Marchment or Mikheyev. LL's FO signed both as undrafteds in TOR.

For me, I prefer Mikheyev. I worry Marchment's finishing from last year won't be sustained.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Dreger basically said:

“Unless he’s signed before free agency, Mason Marchment will become a free agent.”

And that became a thread :laugh:

Reactions: Wats

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
He'll get a 3 or 4 year contract worth ~$14m.
Perfect third wheel for any first, second, or third line that needs physicality.
Injuries will be his bane. Have a hard time believing he's still relevant 4 years from now.

Thank you for the past two years, Mason. It was fun.
As a guy in his 20s whose father also passed away last month, I wish you all the best.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
How good is this kid? Don't know much about him.
Quintessential third wheel in the top 9. Not a guy who can drive the line, not a guy who you can depend on to create offense on his own, but he has the tools to turn an B line into an A+ line.

I wouldn't worry about the sample size for his production. His production will be wholly dependent on how healthy he stays and who his line mates are. If he's expected to carry your third line, he could get 30 points. If he rides side car on your first line, he could pot 80.

Very big, very physical, soft hands with the puck and with passing.
Can finish in the crease and the slot.
Lives to battle along the boards.
Brings fire to the game, can be quite chippy.
Hound on the forecheck. He received two Selke votes from some jackass reporters who had a litany of terrible nominations. He isn't bad on defense, but he isn't very disciplined, and he isn't a good enough skater to PK.
It took him half a decade to get to the NHL, and the guy can't go more than two months without getting injured though. Being that he's 27, I'd be worried about AAV above $3.5m.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Rangers please. They need size and grit and Marchment is a winger and also plays center. HIm and Goodrow would be tough to match up on the bottom lines

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Rangers please. They need size and grit and Marchment is a winger and also plays center. HIm and Goodrow would be tough to match up on the bottom lines
This would be a mistake.

1) Marchment is not a center. Like 70% of forwards come into the league as centers, and their webpages continue to say that for some reason, but Marchment is a winger. Q loved him enough to give him a few games at C last season, but it was stupid. In the NHL, he is best utilized on the LW.

2) Burying him in the bottom 6 with grinders would be a waste of his offensive potential. He isn't going to turn a grinding line into a scoring line. But he will bring physicality and finish to elevate a scoring line's effectiveness.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Quintessential third wheel in the top 9. Not a guy who can drive the line, not a guy who you can depend on to create offense on his own, but he has the tools to turn an B line into an A+ line.

I wouldn't worry about the sample size for his production. His production will be wholly dependent on how healthy he stays and who his line mates are. If he's expected to carry your third line, he could get 30 points. If he rides side car on your first line, he could pot 80.

Very big, very physical, soft hands with the puck and with passing.
Can finish in the crease and the slot.
Lives to battle along the boards.
Brings fire to the game, can be quite chippy.
Hound on the forecheck. He received two Selke votes from some jackass reporters who had a litany of terrible nominations. He isn't bad on defense, but he isn't very disciplined, and he isn't a good enough skater to PK.
It took him half a decade to get to the NHL, and the guy can't go more than two months without getting injured though. Being that he's 27, I'd be worried about AAV above $3.5m.
He's kind of an interesting UFA, he's 27 and only has 91 games and blew up last year. Kind of hard to gage what teams would offer him but definitely would have a lot of teams interested

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
He's kind of an interesting UFA, he's 27 and only has 91 games and blew up last year. Kind of hard to gage what teams would offer him but definitely would have a lot of teams interested
He's the kind of guy who will have 15 offers of $3m x 3y, but whoever offers the greatest total money is going to get him.

He's 27, has injury problems, plays an unsustainable style, and he hasn't even netted $2m from his hockey career thus far. If you want him, you'll have to make the best offer.

Subway Schenn

Jun 24, 2018
London, UK
Would love to see him live out his dream of being a Maple Leaf, something that was taken away from him just as quickly as the opportunity came about.

No idea if that's what he wants these days but I reckon there should be some mutual interest.

Leafs would be able to offer 3.5*3 max with Kerfoot or Holl dumped in a deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad