Marvel's Midnight Suns

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Sorry if this a re-post, a search turned up nothing.

This game was released back late in 2022 but I just got done my first playthrough of the game. Made by Firaxis Games under the 2K Games label this game is quite frankly amazing. Known for games like Civilization and XCOM they've come through yet again.

I've been a fan of Civilization games since I've played video games back to the late 90's/early 00's. I stumbled upon the XCOM games a few years back and immediately was hooked. When I heard the developer was making a Marvel game I was super excited. I'm not super invested in the Marvel lore, but I do like the movies. Particularly when they take chances such as Guardians (which I'd never heard of, but easily become my favourite Marvel franchise after the first movie) or Ant-Man (which I thought was a ridiculous concept but they pulled-off a great heist movie).

This game was marketed as a XCOM meets Marvel meets a card game. I loved the idea of 1 and 2 but I wasn't sure what to make of part 3. How do you mix XCOM to a card game? It really didn't make sense to me. But as I've been trying to get my fiancee more interested in video games and she is a sucker for IP's she already knows (ie Marvel, Harry Potter, etc) I knew I would have to try this out.

It blew away my expectations. This game was just tons of fun to play. What most impressed me wasn't what even was marketed, but the all-around gameplay. In the battles, which is roughly 50-60% of the game, it does stand alone there. It somehow does manage to find a nice fun mix of XCOM to card games from board games I'm more familiar with (such as Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle for example). It shouldn't really make sense, but it can be alot of fun to use different powers and abilities to basically solve puzzles of the battles. It takes time and understanding to envelop how to attack each battle with the hand you are dealt. You do get re-rolls on cards and get to find a balance for how to fight battles. But what really surprised me was the fact that 40-50% of the game was played in an open world RPG style around the home base as you explore the mysteries of your base. You have to hunt for clues, solve puzzles, and explore as you discover the secrets of what has happened in both the recent past and far past of the game's timeline.

It really makes for a super engaging experience. Getting to have fun in downtime with iconic characters like Iron Man, Captain Marvel, Doctor Strange, and Blade along with relative unknowns like Nico, and Magik were great. The "mystical side" of the MCU has largely been ignored by the MCU to date and this is a great chance to get to know it.

I haven't been suddenly drawn into a video game like this since XCOM 2 maybe 4 years ago when I discovered it from nowhere. This game deserves all the praise most reviews I've since seen. I just bought the season pass tonight and can't wait until I get into the first DLC which includes Deadpool.

There's some minor quibbles about the dialogue being very flowerily and maybe not quite enough variety in powers overall, but they are minor in the grand scheme.

Anyone else played this?

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Just started up Xcom 2 again yesterday, in fact, and seeing this compared to it (not just by you but other posters in other threads) has definitely piqued my interest. I'm less into Marvel than you are, I've only seen a few of the movies but I did just enjoy the Spiderman and Miles Morales games. Will probably get it when it drops to 40, might be the game that fills in the time between Ishin and FFXVI.

Reactions: flyersnorth

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I absolutely love this game. Yeah it has some cringe-worthy (or, if you're like me, hilarious) dialogue and feels like someone was trying to run down a AAA checklist of things that don't really fit like reagent gathering, kind of strange systems, etc. I'm also not really a Marvel fan (and this is comics Marvel, not MCU....which I know nothing about), so that was a question mark.

But the core combat is off the charts fun, and the deckbuilding aspect, while simple, accentuates it perfectly.

I figured I'd like this game but wasn't prepared for HOW much I like it.

Just started up Xcom 2 again yesterday, in fact, and seeing this compared to it (not just by you but other posters in other threads) has definitely piqued my interest. I'm less into Marvel than you are, I've only seen a few of the movies but I did just enjoy the Spiderman and Miles Morales games. Will probably get it when it drops to 40, might be the game that fills in the time between Ishin and FFXVI.

I will say I think the systems are only lightly XCOM-like. The mission structure, camera perspective, character based setup is there, but the combat is quite different.

A better comparison IMO would be a combination of a Slay the Spire type card-based combat with Into the Breach style positioning and strategy....if either of those names make sense to you.

The strategy comes from combos to maximize the number of card plays you can get per turn, combined with positioning for knockback and environmental damage/effects. No cover system, not much RNG (except for one of the characters), etc.

I still think you'll like it.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
@Holden Caulfield

Just picked it up yesterday at 40% off. Played the first hour or so and really enjoying it so far!

@Jovavic

Ahh, nothing beats a fresh XCOM run! Just finished one last month, and will probably do another one after Midnight Suns.

I really hope they get cracking on XCOM3 soon. Might be a while because of Midnight Suns.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Combat and the missions are fun.... but the social stuff / the abbey stuff is a real slog. I know I could skip it, but I grew up as quite a comic book nerd so I worry that I'd be missing out on some cool story beats. So far, I don't think that's going to be the case...

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I wish you could make the camera stay in the further away setting.

@Holden Caulfield

Just picked it up yesterday at 40% off. Played the first hour or so and really enjoying it so far!

@Jovavic

Ahh, nothing beats a fresh XCOM run! Just finished one last month, and will probably do another one after Midnight Suns.

I really hope they get cracking on XCOM3 soon. Might be a while because of Midnight Suns.
XCOM 1 or 2?

I love 2.

I need to play Chimera Squad still

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I wish you could make the camera stay in the further away setting.

XCOM 1 or 2?

I love 2.

I need to play Chimera Squad still

XCOM 2 WotC. Soooo good.

I haven‘t played it either. I’ve read that’s it kind of an XCOM-lite. Not as deep.

One you might like is Mutant Year Zero. Cool story, great art style, fun turn-based combat.

Sep 19, 2008
It's free all weekend. I played the tutorial and it's alright. Has that Yakuza LAD turn based vibe

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Venom DLC drops Feb 23. Fiancee has tried the Deadpool DLC and she was laughing out loud at the comments. I'm gonna play both DLCs next week end. Morbius and Storm DLCs are also in the works.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
One thing videogames still haven't got right: facial hair. Its so rare to see a character that doesn't look like they're wearing a fake moustache and/or beard, this games no exception.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
About 5-6 hours in and trying to push through Midnight Suns, but I think I just lost interest.

For me, there are too many uninteresting mechanics. I skip the conversations because they're not interesting and a chore. Run here, talk to this person, click this, ok now click it again, run around the grounds and find stuff, oh and don't forget to check your social media, more messages coming in, hey after we demolish an entire city block in a different dimension do you wanna just like hang and eat pizza?

Even the battles, honestly, have been just "ok."

I think they might have lost me for good - which is a bummer. I really wanted to enjoy this game, but it feels like I'm not the target audience.

Maybe I'll give it another shot sometime.

Sep 19, 2008
probably should have purchased it on sale during spring sale.

oh well, soemthing like this is probably worth full price. and since i retired from elden ring been looking for another game on ps5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad