Confirmed with Link: Martin St. Louis Back for 3 More Seasons (Club Exercised Option)

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
wow

Gorton "We didn't come here to have fun, we came here to win"

other quotes:

"there is no place like this"
"The team showed us a lot and we will do everything we can to help them take the next step"

He was asked if they had determined if the team was ready now, his answer "Yes"

They will look at free agency and they will look at trades, he said, this is a huge summer for us.

Also he said the P word is no longer a taboo. They want playoff now.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Can we stop this? Since Slafkovski is on the PP we are in the top 10 for PP efficiency, while missing Dach and while Slafkovski will become better year after year.

+without Hutson.
we will see. the PP is not as good as you might think

plus I am not the only one one this board that suggested it

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
we will see. the PP is not as good as you might think

plus I am not the only one one this board that suggested it

You've all been repeating this for a long time now. Yet it was never even remotely true. If you have no talent your PP sucks, it's a simple relationship. What was not as good as YOU might think is our level of talent, not the efficiency of the PP.

Just adding Hutson, even has a 2nd PP D (someone to compete with Matheson) is a radical transformation.

The next culprit is Caufield.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkovsKnee

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
You've all been repeating this for a long time now. Yet it was never even remotely true. If you have no talent your PP sucks, it's a simple relationship. What was not as good YOU might think is our level of talent, not the efficiency of the PP.

Just adding Hutson, even has a 2nd PP D (someone to compete with Matheson) is a radical transformation.

The next culprit is Caufield.
CC is not a problem, the PP issues go back years
I hope you are right about Burrows, but he needs to prove it

Reactions: Rozz

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

CC is a big problem on the first PP wave, and Slafkovski's game explains why.
CC can finish, but his retrieval rate is abysmal. He should not be on our first PP, but he would be a great second PP guy. We'll be successful when Gallagher/Armia (players who are not bringing teams closer to the playoffs anymore, are passengers, third liners), etc., stop being the second option.

Changing CC for someone who can finish AND retrieve would make a world of difference (Celebrini to give a concrete example), and we would have a top-5 PP efficiency. Not only would the first unit be better, but it would also move a competitive talent like Caufield to a second unit.

We're still losing a lot because we have only 1 top 6 unit out of 2 required.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Can we stop this? Since Slafkovski is on the PP we are in the top 10 for PP efficiency, while missing Dach and while Slafkovski will become better year after year.

+without Hutson.

Burrows has had no talent to play with.

That and people who think MSL is not involve on the PP deployment are completly wrong

Reactions: MXD

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
No brainer. This extension was so richly deserved. I cannot wrap my head around his detractors, he's the best thing to happen to this team from a coaching perspective in decades.

He is literally the perfect coach for this team with where they're trying to get, nevermind being a 5 star human being. He's the epitome of class and a winner through and through. We should be proud that he's the one representing our habs as it's leader from behind the bench, as well as in front of the media.

So excited for our future, this organization gets it.

Last edited:

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

+without Hutson.

Burrows has had no talent to play with.

Eh, even in the 2nd half, Montreal's PP was awful at generating chances and looks. Arguably, (specific) talent is what drove the PP.

I'm not sure that's on Burrows though. Realistically, Montreal's developing their coaching staff along with their roster and not everything they've done this season has been focused on giving the team the best chance to win.

CC is a big problem on the first PP wave, and Slafkovski's game explains why.
CC can finish, but his retrieval rate is abysmal. He should not be on our first PP, but he would be a great second PP guy. We'll be successful when Gallagher/Armia (players who are not bringing teams closer to the playoffs anymore, are passengers, third liners), etc., stop being the second option.

Changing CC for someone who can finish AND retrieve would make a world of difference (Celebrini to give a concrete example), and we would have a top-5 PP efficiency. Not only would the first unit be better, but it would also move a competitive talent like Caufield to a second unit.

We're still losing a lot because we have only 1 top 6 unit out of 2 required.

A bigger problem would be that Caufield is in a position where his retrieval rate had relevance to the PP. He's good on the PP, but Montreal still doesn't have a really good mix on PP1 and no mix on PP2.

Reactions: sampollock

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
wow

Gorton "We didn't come here to have fun, we came here to win"

other quotes:

"there is no place like this"
"The team showed us a lot and we will do everything we can to help them take the next step"

He was asked if they had determined if the team was ready now, his answer "Yes"

They will look at free agency and they will look at trades, he said, this is a huge summer for us.

Also he said the P word is no longer a taboo. They want playoff now.
Wow there is a lot to fix before we can make this kind of push.
I hope they realize we are nowhere near tough enough.
At one point the Management HAS to do their part or the message will go stale.

Reactions: Chili and Habs

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Wow there is a lot to fix before we can make this kind of push.
I hope they realize we are nowhere near tough enough.
At one point the Management HAS to do their part or the message will go stale.

I think a lot of coaches could have got as many losses as marty has.
There, I said it.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
No brainer. This extension was so richly deserved. I cannot wrap my head around his detractors, he's the best thing to happen to this team from a coaching perspective in decades.

He is literally the perfect coach for this team with where they're trying to get, nevermind being a 5 star human being. He's a winner through and through.

So excited for our future.

Happy for MSL now he need to fix this ''end of games collapse'' so we can learn how to play with the lead.

Next season should be very telling on how this management react when expectation are higher, everything was easy peasy expectation wise for them their first 3 years but it's about to change

Reactions: Walrus26

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Yes, super happy. Not since Felipe Alou have we had a coach in Montreal who is transcendent and understands human psychology at a fundamental level. I thought Gainey was in that mould, but ultimately was not (although there were important mitigating circumstances in his case).

Next season should be very telling on how this management react when expectation are higher, everything was easy peasy expectation wise for them their first 3 years but it's about to change

Yes, that's why Ducharme passed with flying colours. If all you look at is wins and losses, then you miss the bigger developmental and strategic picture, as many on this board did with Slaf.

HuGo boss

Apr 7, 2022
Love it, I know some are down on Marty but I think he's doing a great job with the kids but I would like to see some better assistant coaches maybe someone with some experience

For the people who would want Marty replaced who would be your choices? Obviously taking the French factor in mind

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Yes, that's why Ducharme passed with flying colours. If all you look at is wins and losses, then you miss the bigger developmental and strategic picture, as many on this board did with Slaf.

Agree but at some point bigger develomental strategy have to bring points and playoffs or it's only a nicer way to describe failure.

Not saying that what's gonna happen, just saying starting next season the expectations will be higher (as it should) and we should be able to better asses this management group, not saying either it's playoffs or bust but i think we need to see better game management, to me the biggest problem this season was our play in our own end that has to improve

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

They go back since we haven't had a above-average (league-wide) PP QB/puck distributor option, something Martin St-Louis or Alex Burrows doesn't have much control over.

If anything, since January, the PP results indicates a slightly over-achieving unit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad