Martin Hanzal

SaveHextall

Nov 21, 2006
Westchester, NY
Living in the U.S., I havent been able to see him play in the WJC's (he was there right?)

I was just wondering the following...

How did he play in the tourney?

Who do you compare him to in the NHL?

When do you think he'll reach the NHL?

%'s that he's a bust?

Thanks

Louis Houde

Jan 28, 2006
Trois-rivières
How did he play in the tourney? Preatty much like in the whl

viktor kozlov,same size,same unwillingness to pay the price
Scared to go in trafic, keeps his head down
transition play (offense to defense) is poor
Bad anticipation,not as strong his size may suggest

3 years

%'s that he's a bust?
50%

Thanks-

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I saw him play in the WJC in one game and his size was evident but he didnt look like much of a skater in terms of speed.

Can anyone confirm that? I'm not sure though...I've only seen him once!

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Ive heard people say that bigger players often look slower because of their size. :dunno:

Definitely a disappointing tourney for him though, although the Czechs werent very good overall. Chicken and egg.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I saw him play in the WJC in one game and his size was evident but he didnt look like much of a skater in terms of speed.

Can anyone confirm that? I'm not sure though...I've only seen him once!

Looked fine on his feet to me. Seems to effortlessly pass the defense in the games I've seen him in.

I don't really understand the criticism of him. He looked like one of the better players on another dissapointing Czech team.

francklem

Mar 8, 2006
Well this is the lead scorer for WHL :
GP g a PTS PIM
1 Aaron Gagnon Seattle Thunderbirds 39 26 28 54 44
2 Codey Burki Brandon Wheat Kings 40 21 33 54 40
3 * Martin Hanzal Red Deer Rebels 34 16 38 54 48

I guess he s not doing so bad in the WHL ...

markg

Nov 17, 2006
So,

Besides Soldat Samsonov, anyone else?

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I'd say, after this year, he'll need one or two more years of seasoning before he's ready, likely in the AHL, although hopefully it won't be playing for Pat Conacher.

I see him ending up as a 30 goal, 40 assist 2nd line center with decent 2-way ability. I've seen comparisons to Langkow, Nedved (the good version), Kozlov, Kopitar, and Tanguay. I'd say Langkow is the closest - a guy overmatched as a first liner, but perfect on the 2nd line.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'd say, after this year, he'll need one or two more years of seasoning before he's ready, likely in the AHL, although hopefully it won't be playing for Pat Conacher.

I see him ending up as a 30 goal, 40 assist 2nd line center with decent 2-way ability. I've seen comparisons to Langkow, Nedved (the good version), Kozlov, Kopitar, and Tanguay. I'd say Langkow is the closest - a guy overmatched as a first liner, but perfect on the 2nd line.

70 points on the second line? No Phoenix Coyote has scored 70 points since Jeremy Roenick left, six or seven years ago.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
70 points on the second line? No Phoenix Coyote has scored 70 points since Jeremy Roenick left, six or seven years ago.

Look who we've had since then, though. Look who we've drafted. Mueller is, by all accounts, a future first line forward, which pushes Hanzal to the second line. I see Mueller centering Wheeler and either Nagy or whomever we draft this year on the top line, with Hanzal, Lisin, and Sjostrom on the 2nd line.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Odd choices there Fleury..

Kolanos and Podlesak were excellent prospects.. their careers were ended by grade I concussions, not a lack of talent. The other two, Taffe and Zainullin were drafted by other teams and lesser throw-ins to major deals (Nagy, Handzus, Mara, Johnson)

As for Hanzal, he flips between dominance (WHL) and disappearances (WJCs). Who knows which one will come to the NHL? 70 points is high but that's what ceilings are. I think he's not going to find it as easy as Mueller who will likely make the Coyotes next year.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I don't think Hanzal dissapeared at the WJC's. He did take a ton of shots. The parts of games I watched he always had the puck and amed some nice plays. Just didn't score.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
For his age he's not that bad of a skater at all, I don't know where that came from. He's also a heck of a pest and a player other teams love to hate. I'd say his odds of having an NHL career are quite high (ie. 80%). If he can't succeed in a scoring role he could still be a valuable depth player.

TSV

Aug 6, 2005
Montreal
I cannot see how he doesn't have a realistic chance to crack the coyotes line up next season... the guy has talent and the coyotes is a rebuilding team !! I would go with my prospect right next season instead of signing useless oldies like JR !! ... + if wayne still the head coach, he can help the mueller and hanzal !!

BuddehJuS

Nov 25, 2006
IF he does crack the lineup, I wonder if it would be center or wing? Red deer shows him playing LW.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Odd choices there Fleury..

Kolanos and Podlesak were excellent prospects.. their careers were ended by grade I concussions, not a lack of talent. The other two, Taffe and Zainullin were drafted by other teams and lesser throw-ins to major deals (Nagy, Handzus, Mara, Johnson)

As for Hanzal, he flips between dominance (WHL) and disappearances (WJCs). Who knows which one will come to the NHL? 70 points is high but that's what ceilings are. I think he's not going to find it as easy as Mueller who will likely make the Coyotes next year.

heh.. All I did was look back 5 years in the HF archives and those were PHX's top 5 forward prospects (minus sjostrom).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad