Mars, Saturn, Jupiter in view from Earth May 2016

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...d-eye-planets-making-close-approach-to-earth/

Stargazers will get a treat for the rest of this month as Mars making its closest approach to Earth on May 30th.

But, there is much more for skywatchers.

“Mars is getting close to what’s called ‘opposition,’ when it rises at the sunset, but Jupiter is a very visible object right now,†Bing Quock with the Morrison Planetarium told KCBS.

“If you pay attention to where Mars is, Saturn’s not too far from that part of the sky either,†Quock said.

“We’ve got three of the most interesting planets visible in the early evening sky right now,†Quock said.

May you have clear skies for viewing

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I wish i still had my telescope.

Actually was able to see Jupitar and Mars many years ago. It was a very beautiful sight to see.

I think i saw Saturn too, but i don't really remember.

Last edited:

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California
Will definitely bring my telescope out the next few nights. I've never seen Mars at this angular size before. Jupiter and its moons are awesome. Saturn is a beauty of course.

saintflannel

Oct 6, 2011
Intersting .gif courtesy of NASA. Of course the skies are a plenty this evening in Cape Breton.

mars-apparent-size-2016.gif

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
I'm a sky hobbyist and have been taking looks at Mars with a decent telescope. Certainly more planetary detail to be seen than usual, but will not knock your socks off. Saturn is in the same area of the sky, and as usual, is a more interesting target.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
I'm a sky hobbyist and have been taking looks at Mars with a decent telescope. Certainly more planetary detail to be seen than usual, but will not knock your socks off. Saturn is in the same area of the sky, and as usual, is a more interesting target.

If one were to want to get in to telescopes, what are some of the basics to know about before making a purchase and utilization?

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
My first question to you would be:

How much are you willing to spend?

Let's assume money isn't an option BUT this would be a first timer's setup. Essentially, getting some huge snazzy complicated telescope probably doesn't make sense for a first timer.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Let's assume money isn't an option BUT this would be a first timer's setup. Essentially, getting some huge snazzy complicated telescope probably doesn't make sense for a first timer.

You're right and you're approaching this intelligently. Most people will lose interest in the scope after awhile, so best not to put too much money down the first time. That said, if you want to purchase a telescope that'll enable you to view a large number of objects, I recommend a 6" reflector on a Dobsonian mount. Such a scope can be found here:

http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes...c/12/sc/13/p/102004.uts?refineByCategoryId=13

It's not computerized and can't be polar-aligned, so you have to hop from star to star on your own by pushing the scope in the direction you want.

For the money, reflecting telescopes get you a lot more aperture (light grasp) than a refractor would, so you can see fainter targets. Reflectors also give you accurate color...as the images are bounced off mirrors to the eyepiece. Refractor images can suffer from false color unless you spend lots of $$$$$ for an APO.

This one comes with a 25mm eyepiece, which would give you 48x magnification. (Magnification is focal length of telescope / focal length of eyepiece). If you find yourself having fun and wanting closer views, you can grab some extra eyepieces for reasonable prices off the same website.

This was just basic info. If you want to know any more specifics, let me know. A 6" reflector on Dobsonian mount is a great place to start that will give you many years of enjoyment.

If you want a refractor, you could go with: http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes...10/sc/331/p/103111.uts?refineByCategoryId=331

Will be lots of plastic in the manufacture and won't see as deep into the sky as the reflector...but what views you do get will be sharper. There will also be some false color (usually violet) surrounding items like the planets ... like a haze.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
I also apparently don't speak English but thanks for understanding what I meant. I was trying to say "money isn't an issue" but said money isn't an option...

Anyways, that's very interesting information! How far away from the city would one have to be to truly appreciate the stars?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Anyways, that's very interesting information! How far away from the city would one have to be to truly appreciate the stars?

usa_nightm.jpg

Find one of those dark areas. :naughty:

(It's not how far from a city, but the light "pollution")

Ideally, in a valley with higher hills/mountains so the city lights aren't visible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad