GDT: U18 Round Robin/QF's

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
It's incredible how far behind Finland's juniors are against the big dogs currently. Second year in a row USA puts up 8+ goals on them at U18.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
So is it czechs vs Slovakia, Sweden vs Finland, Canada vs Latvia and US vs Swiss?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Jesus why is the US team every year scarier and scarier lol.
I wouldn't say they are better than last year but Hagens is better than anyone last year.

It's incredible how far behind Finland's juniors are against the big dogs currently. Second year in a row USA puts up 8+ goals on them at U18.
They need to update their skating standards. Canada and USA have gone all out on emphasizing skating above everything, Finland still has skating standards from 10 years ago. Not sure if kids just aren't spending the same amount of time on ice or what, but that's the biggest issue I've seen the last few junior cycles.

So is it czechs vs Slovakia, Sweden vs Finland, Canada vs Latvia and US vs Swiss?
you got it

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
I wouldn't say they are better than last year but Hagens is better than anyone last year.

They need to update their skating standards. Canada and USA have gone all out on emphasizing skating above everything, Finland still has skating standards from 10 years ago. Not sure if kids just aren't spending the same amount of time on ice or what, but that's the biggest issue I've seen the last few junior cycles.

you got it
2 of those games should be very good. Swiss had excellent periods against Canada (1st) and Sweden... Curious if they can cause a stir. Latvia is stingy.. curious how they do. Happy at least one of czechs and Slovakia will make semis.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Flip the Kaz-Can game on and someone's on the ice needing a trainer. What happened?

Edit - NM, just caught the replay. That's an easy IIHF 5 minute major.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Yes, we have seen this for years but unlucky for us, the fat cats in FIHA don't see it. And they are swimming in money, they could easily provide skating and skill coaches for every Liiga team.

2nd thing we suck at is 1-on-1's and board battles, i didn't see Finland winning single one in this game.

3rd thing, stick defending.

There is lot of work to be done but until mens national team starts suffering from same in a long run, i don't see any change in near future. Players himself has responsibility too, take Heiskanen for example. He put a lot work in his skating and i mean a lot, to take him where he is now.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
1714506061314.png

1714506115941.png

What are everyone's thoughts?

I say Canada 5-2, US 5-1, Finland 3-2 and Czechs 4-3 (OT--> shootout--> my heart attack)

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
2019-Gold
2021-Bronze
2022-Gold
2023-Silver
2024, our level Kazakhstan, burn it to the ground, change the whole structchaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then check wc and u20. We are declining. Now we see it in u18 aswell.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Finland was shockingly bad today. Rimpinen might’ve done his draft chances a lot of damage today. Finland’s defense too was pathetic. Can’t believe they thought Muhonen wasn’t good enough for this team.

Reactions: Blueston

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
I think you got the winners right. USA and Canada should run up higher totals than that though.
US make a lot of people look silly at the U18's. They're damn good here. If I have it right, if they win this they will be reigning U20, U18 and U16 champions. A hlinka and WHC away from a full sweep. It's a hell of a run!

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
US make a lot of people look silly at the U18's. They're damn good here. If I have it right, if they win this they will be reigning U20, U18 and U16 champions. A hlinka and WHC away from a full sweep. It's a hell of a run!
I don’t think this US team is that good. Goaltending is questionable. The forward core isn’t as deep as usual and defense doesn’t have that many puck movers. I really hope teams provide us with a challenge. It was a little disheartening seeing Finland couldn’t do that today. I thought this was Finland’s year.

I don’t want to see Canada and USA rotate who wins what international tournaments for the foreseeable future, but I’m afraid that’s where we might be headed. The hockey playing populations in these two countries might be getting too big for Finland and to a lesser extent Sweden. And then the lack of Russia doesn’t help competitiveness either.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
I don’t think this US team is that good. Goaltending is questionable. The forward core isn’t as deep as usual and defense doesn’t have that many puck movers. I really hope teams provide us with a challenge. It was a little disheartening seeing Finland couldn’t do that today. I thought this was Finland’s year.

I don’t want to see Canada and USA rotate who wins what international tournaments for the foreseeable future, but I’m afraid that’s where we might be headed. The hockey playing populations in these two countries might be getting too big for Finland and to a lesser extent Sweden. And then the lack of Russia doesn’t help competitiveness either.
Thank god the Czechs are rising back up!

Regarding the US here.. they are +27 after 4 games. That is OBSCENE. They scored 33 goals in 4 games. It would take my Czechs 3 tournaments to do that.lol

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

I had meant to mention this as I was thinking the same thing a few days ago.It is going to be very difficult for the European teams to consistently win titles very soon, they've got some very lean years coming up now with Canada being Canada and the U.S becoming on Canada's level.

Titles are going to shrink up on them very badly, not sure how they are going to combat that.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I had meant to mention this as I was thinking the same thing a few days ago.It is going to be very difficult for the European teams to consistently win titles very soon, they've got some very lean years coming up now with Canada being Canada and the U.S becoming on Canada's level.

Titles are going to shrink up on them very badly, not sure how they are going to combat that.
The only country I feel is close is Russia, but there’s a war going on, so they aren’t part of these tournaments. They at least have a bigger hockey playing population than Sweden and Finland. Sweden has been able to compete for some U18 titles, and usually makes it far at U20 without ever truly threatening to win. Finland is the one that has dropped off a little. A shame to see.

Reactions: jj cale

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
The only country I feel is close is Russia, but there’s a war going on, so they aren’t part of these tournaments. They at least have a bigger hockey playing population than Sweden and Finland. Sweden has been able to compete for some U18 titles, and usually makes it far at U20 without ever truly threatening to win. Finland is the one that has dropped off a little. A shame to see.
Russia has the potential but there is still lot's wrong in their system i.e cronyism and corruption.

Sweden, Slovakia Czechs, Finns et al, they will need to do things differently such as perhaps going with the old soviet and now U.S system of hothousing all their best talent and they will likely need to pour in more resources all across the board.

It's not looking good for the European teams in the near future, they will have to overcome a lot.

Reactions: Czechboy

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It's just a bad year for Sweden. I don't think Sweden and Finland need a national team development program or anything. They play a lot of games together over the years leading up to this and sometimes it's useful for players to develop on different teams. The USNTDP works for the USA and was necessary at the time of its formation with how much of a mess U.S. hockey development was at the time, but it's not necessarily what I'd do if there was a fresh start to all of it.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Again.. we have yet to play an elimination game. Let's wait till us play Canada in the finals before the post mortem here lol. You all sound like Ra!

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
I truly hope we see Czechia-Finland or something like that in the final.
Well that won't be happening. Czech goals are not to f*** up the quarter. I'd be thrilled for Finland though. Bit of a lull right now and an awesome hockey nation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad