Proposal: Marner to Pittsburgh

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Quite true, and good call.

Obviously the easy way is Montreal retains salary only and gets a pick.... the question for me would be, wahat does Montreal have that fits Toronto's needs, and in turn, what does Pittsburgh have that would meet Montreal's needs?
Montreal is down to zero retention slots, and only one is freed up by the draft, so I wouldn't expect outright retention.

Given how the Petry/Karlsson/Pearson situation played out, I shouldn't even try to fathom how this could work out, since Montreal might take on a player they don't actually want just to move him later on.

My best guess would be that Montreal would send Harris, Evans or Dvorak to Toronto to fill the ranks up front or add some youth to the D. None is an obvious fit, though. Montreal is low on expendable-yet-affordable contracts, which is what Toronto would want.
It might end up being Montreal takes Bunting or Eller and gets a pick in the process, to free up cap room in PIT, since Toronto will undoubtedly want to use cap room to fill other needs.

Harris to Toronto, Eller to Montreal, and this is part of a far larger series of deals where Marner goes to PIT ?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Anywhere that Marner goes, is highly, highly likely to be somewhere that he would want to extend with.

As for Rakell, obviously Smith would be a better fit... but a 31-32 Overall and Pickering doesn't really move the needle for a player of Mitch Marner's calibre.
It's about what Kessel got but Kessel came in at $6.8mil for and additional 6 years.

The contract situation and playoff-no-show-ness hurts.

I think 57 is right, the better thing to do would be to keep him. I would be testing the market on Tavaras before Marner.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Anywhere that Marner goes, is highly, highly likely to be somewhere that he would want to extend with.

As for Rakell, obviously Smith would be a better fit... but a 31-32 Overall and Pickering doesn't really move the needle for a player of Mitch Marner's calibre.
When dealing players of that caliber, on paper the team trading them just about always loses, it's the flexibility to build the team differently that is the real gain. If in a year they extend Tavares at a discount, they'd have gained 15M to add perhaps 3 5M players.

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The odds of Tavares waiving his No Movement Clause are very small. Leafs fans know that we're gonna have to ride that one out until the contract ends next summer. We aren't happy about it at all, but we have to be realistic.
Penguins fans get (Jeff Carter).

Odd thing to think about, Matthews was out 5 and 6 and those are the games you won. Something not being discussed is moving Matthews and getting a whole crop of players/prospects/picks. I imagine there are a lot of teams that would open their checkbooks if he comes available.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
When dealing players of that caliber, one paper the team trading them just about always loses, it's the flexibility to build the team differently that is the real gain. In in a year they extend Tavares at a discount, they'd have gained 15M to add perhaps 3 5M players.

Yeah, the Leafs are going to lose a Marner trade... that's ok. They're not going to get a 90 point forward, elite goaltender, or top 15 defenceman back.

What's not ok, is trading him, and getting back absolutely nothing that actually helps you.

Reactions: lanceuppercut75

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Yeah, the Leafs are going to lose a Marner trade... that's ok. They're not going to get a 90 point forward, elite goaltender, or top 15 defenceman back.

What's not ok, is trading him, and getting back absolutely nothing that actually helps you.
I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being a series of deals - say, Yager and a 1st go to Toronto, who then move Yager to a team that really liked him from the start for a useful skater, say to Chicago for Jones or Carolina for Necas, and the 1st goes elsewhere to fill another role.

It's easy to see how managing all of this might get horribly complicated and it would be easy to fall into "analysis-paralysis".

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Dubas brought in Karlsson for a draft pick. He unloaded Petry and Granlund for two years at close to 9 million. That was a very good deal in that Dubas can move Karlsson for a nice package after this year and Pens have his play with little cash exposure. Dubas wants worker bees here. He brought in Acciari and then Bunting in a trade. He knows the Pens need to go in a different direction like bigger, stronger younger and faster and paying Marner 10 million for 7 years just is not the way to go.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Montreal is down to zero retention slots, and only one is freed up by the draft, so I wouldn't expect outright retention.

Given how the Petry/Karlsson/Pearson situation played out, I shouldn't even try to fathom how this could work out, since Montreal might take on a player they don't actually want just to move him later on.

My best guess would be that Montreal would send Harris, Evans or Dvorak to Toronto to fill the ranks up front or add some youth to the D. None is an obvious fit, though. Montreal is low on expendable-yet-affordable contracts, which is what Toronto would want.
It might end up being Montreal takes Bunting or Eller and gets a pick in the process, to free up cap room in PIT, since Toronto will undoubtedly want to use cap room to fill other needs.

Harris to Toronto, Eller to Montreal, and this is part of a far larger series of deals where Marner goes to PIT ?

I would be really annoyed if Jake Evans was given away for Lars Eller just so the Canadiens could add a draft pick.

This would be terrible asset management.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Dubas brought in Karlsson for a draft pick. He unloaded Petry and Granlund for two years at close to 9 million. That was a very good deal in that Dubas can move Karlsson for a nice package after this year and Pens have his play with little cash exposure. Dubas wants worker bees here. He brought in Acciari and then Bunting in a trade. He knows the Pens need to go in a different direction like bigger, stronger younger and faster and paying Marner 10 million for 7 years just is not the way to go.
In what world do you think Karlsson has positive value 1-2 years later? The Sharks made a fantastic decision by allowing him to forget all defensive responsibility and focus solely on racking up points, in hopes a sucker would bite. And oh boy did they ever find the perfect sucker.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
$10 Million?!! Thats why leafs fans want him gone he will want $12M plus and simply isnt worth it to Toronto.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Everyone was laughing at me when I proposed something around Fuentes and Marner at the deadline

Now everyone sees it

I’m just so ahead of the curve

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Pettersson & Jarry

Karlsson straight up

Smith / Rakell

All interesting concepts.

The one year left is a thing but maybe Dubas/Sid could woo him

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I can see Karlsson straight up. Makes sense given the Leafs point in their cup window. They need to win now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad