Marner has reportedly hired private security and is refusing to speak with some members of the media

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Aaaand reason #872 why players wanna play for certain teams in the States and away from that chaos
.. at least if you play for the Yankees you make the BIG bucks !

Players make the same money for less hassle and nicer weather. No reason to play in Canada really.

The lack of cup wins in Canada tells the tale.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
The Toronto media has already been overly kind to, and protective, of him. The exit interviews asking every player about what Mitch Marner means to the team is unbelievably soft.

The guy is a little bitch.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
just another canadian team no one wants to play for
Good thing we had the mob force Matthews to sign an extension at gunpoint, guy didn't even want to play here!

Marner is just a whiny little baby that takes 0 accountability. Ultimate victim complex, massive ego, refuses to answer questions or critics, demands the sun and the moon but god forbid people ask for results. The guy is so unlikable, it's nuts. Was a hometown favorite but the entire city is against him.

Reactions: hamzarocks

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Good thing we had the mob force Matthews to sign an extension at gunpoint, guy didn't even want to play here!

Marner is just a whiny little baby that takes 0 accountability. Ultimate victim complex, massive ego, refuses to answer questions or critics, demands the sun and the moon but god forbid people ask for results. The guy is so unlikable, it's nuts. Was a hometown favorite but the entire city is against him.
I think Leafs should cut bait with Tavares and Marner. Use the cap space to re-tool and build around Matthews and Nylander to try and win something before those guys get too old. Biggest issue is they basically need to re-vamp the entire defense and figure out goaltending (maybe Woll is the guy but he needs to stay healthy and prove it). Ideally you'd drop Rielly to a number 3 defenseman as he ages, but then you need a 1, 2, 4 and 5 (not too concerned with 6 as that can be a plug).

Reactions: AvroArrow

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I think Leafs should cut bait with Tavares and Marner. Use the cap space to re-tool and build around Matthews and Nylander to try and win something before those guys get too old.
Agreed. Sadly JT won't waive, he probably re-signs at like 5-6M after this deal or walks, but I know he wants to stay.

Marner's attitude just has to go. That kind of a whiny negative attitude is infectious, gotta go. Demands too much money with nothing to show for it. This next season is probably a write off unless we can get Marner to waive his NMC.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Agreed. Sadly JT won't waive, he probably re-signs at like 5-6M after this deal or walks, but I know he wants to stay.

Marner's attitude just has to go. That kind of a whiny negative attitude is infectious, gotta go. Demands too much money with nothing to show for it. This next season is probably a write off unless we can get Marner to waive his NMC.
Yeah I think they're likely stuck with John for the last year of his deal. I dunno if I'd re-sign him if I were Trevling to be honest. A couple years ago, having him at $5.5 million would be great.. but starting in 2025-26? I dunno if I want a 35, 36, 37 year old John Tavares in any important role with his likely fairly steep decline... other than like if he were willing to sign for an amount so low it's pure luxury that could be buried/scratched if needed. I think I'd rather give a guy like Easton Cowan and others a shot in a bigger role because if he is good enough then that could be a really cost effective good RFA type of deal in years where he only gets better. Tavares just being another mouth to feed and still around wearing a letter just gets in the way of that sort of approach imo.

Fordy

May 28, 2008

well matthews doesn't really care about winning either. i'm fine with toronto being the epicenter of the New Generation Of Athletes in hockey

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
For those keyboard worriers here deciding that they can abuse people based upon how much they get paid. Get you head out of your asses

Just for the education of some. After year end interviews it is the custom for Media to leave players alone until training camp. based on a few pod cast, the media has decided not to do that for MM. Sounds like they are still trying to get him to do interviews in now what is now the off season. But my guess none of you care about that. But he makes sooooo much money. JT and AM make more

Why JT is being left along is what baffles the mind. Last 4 playoff season MM has matched AM in pts in the playoffs. JT not so much

Why so much hatred towards MM? The media does not have the BALLS to go after AM or JT.

Oiler fans can agree that the media when it comes to deciding what players the fans will hate the most---they will be the ones to decide who to aim the fans at.

TO media for lots of different reasons have decided MM is the bad guy. AS much as I hate all things leaf--there are free passes being giving to guys who need to be held accountable and the main guy is JT

snag

Feb 22, 2014
For those keyboard worriers here deciding that they can abuse people based upon how much they get paid. Get you head out of your asses

Just for the education of some. After year end interviews it is the custom for Media to leave players alone until training camp. based on a few pod cast, the media has decided not to do that for MM. Sounds like they are still trying to get him to do interviews in now what is now the off season. But my guess none of you care about that. But he makes sooooo much money. JT and AM make more

Why JT is being left along is what baffles the mind. Last 4 playoff season MM has matched AM in pts in the playoffs. JT not so much

Why so much hatred towards MM? The media does not have the BALLS to go after AM or JT.

Oiler fans can agree that the media when it comes to deciding what players the fans will hate the most---they will be the ones to decide who to aim the fans at.

TO media for lots of different reasons have decided MM is the bad guy. AS much as I hate all things leaf--there are free passes being giving to guys who need to be held accountable and the main guy is JT

Yep.......this is their time of VACATION. They are officially off the clock. They owe nothing to anyone but themselves and their families right now.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

You mean Marner forbid people ask for results.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
He waves his no move clause easily.............the only media that treats players worse than TO is the Montreal media.............in 2 languages.

Now that we know everyone is accountable in TO except Shanny.............all bets are off on this offseason moves.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The Toronto media has already been overly kind to, and protective, of him. The exit interviews asking every player about what Mitch Marner means to the team is unbelievably soft.

The guy is a little bitch.
So maybe it's not the media but the fans

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth

JT isn't going anywhere. Certain fans need to understand that this isn't a video game where you can just trade anyone for the heck of it. JT signed as a free agent when he was the top free agent available. When he signed in Toronto he could have gone literally anywhere. Also, at the time of signing he and his wife had just started their family so signing in Toronto had much more to do than just hockey. He wanted to raise his family in Canada. There is zero chance he agrees to any trade and I guarantee Toronto management won't even ask him.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Had Marner been able to duplicate Lafrenieres production, Leafs would be in second round and his statue would be out front of the arena already
Yup, Marner did not have a good playoff this season. He wouldn't have a statue though.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
So at 22 Lafreniere is developing into a far superior playoff performer than Marner is now. Plus Lafreniere lays a heavy game and is hard to play against. I like Marner but he’s trending in the wrong direction while Lafreniere is trending up.
He is having a good playoff this year.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Not a Marner fan in the least but this kind of crap is getting out of hand. Bash him as a hockey player all you want… mostly warranted… take a run at his character based on his actions… fair enough… but threatening him or his family (serious intent or not)? WTF is the matter with these morons in today’s society?

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
funny lol, so when is Ottawa doing anything? entire core signed and finished almost dead last in the division,
There are alot of fans that gave up on the Leafs, and alot of fans that never will, a 2nd NHL team would likely do very well here if MLSE would allow it.
it's all about making the league money, and as much as you hate us you cant deny how much money we make the league, could be another cash cow

Marner's problem is he's greedy and they dont get paid in the playoffs. long the playoffs goes on for the shorter the summer is. no way hes trying for free

They actually do get paid in the playoffs, the players get a share of TV revenue. The further you go, the more you get.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Not a Marner fan in the least but this kind of crap is getting out of hand. Bash him as a hockey player all you want… mostly warranted… take a run at his character based on his actions… fair enough… but threatening him or his family (serious intent or not)? WTF is the matter with these morons in today’s society?
There’s a reason why so many nhl players prefer to play down south. Anonymity is attractive to a lot. They are multi-millionaires and living nhl lives but get to walk the streets of their home city totally unknown.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad