Player Discussion Marner Talk - Get Your Daily Dose of Redundancy

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Marner's all about Marner. Money is priority but I think what he really wants is 2 b top dog. But in order to do that he might have to go to a rebuilding team, which means leading in relative obscurity for a while. Not sure his ego could handle that. My guess he doesn't waive and waits to pick his own destination as a FA. A team on the cusp that lacks a star. Not sure who that might be, though. Guesses?
It would be interesting if he refuses to waive, I wonder if management would stop the rotation of the A and just have him without a letter.

Reactions: saffronleaf

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
a big defender of marner and his contract... but I had an epiphany after his last performance in the playoffs... especially after Marner let Pastrnak do whatever the f*** he wanted in ot... you don't ever coast in the playoffs, let alone a game 7... Maybe I'm making him a scapegoat, but he lost us that game.

harsh, I know, but he's gotta go.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
a big defender of marner and his contract... but I had an epiphany after his last performance in the playoffs... especially after Marner let Pastrnak do whatever the f*** he wanted in ot... you don't ever coast in the playoffs, let alone a game 7... Maybe I'm making him a scapegoat, but he lost us that game.

Whether one is pro-Marner or anti-Marner, if you're pro-Leafs you know that it's time for both to move on.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
IMO it raises questions about where is all the money going that is raised. Again, I have no idea about the structure of the foundation, but it causes me to wonder how much is being taken out to support the family.
Bondarowicz said some athletes use a charity's money to finance all sorts of costs that go beyond the charity's needs, such as expensing a weeklong stay at a five-star resort when he or she is doing a one-hour seminar at a children's camp. And many charities list large sums of money under the title of "professional or business fee," which Bondarowicz said, "just becomes a term that's used for. 'I need to give someone money, and I will find a justification for it later.'" He said athletes sometimes use their charities to provide jobs for friends and relatives: "When a player is drafted, that's the meal ticket for a lot of people."

Player agent Andrew Bondarowicz runs the Aregatta Group, which, among other tasks, advises athletes on how to be charitable. ESPN
Bondarowicz said that when athletes put their friends and relatives in charge of their charity -- whether they're drawing a salary or not -- it's unlikely those people have the necessary dedication or experience to raise money and spend it wisely.

Good read:

Athlete charities often lack standards

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I think that was probably what I saw. How many provinces are there in Canada. Um, four? Yikes!

I don't think the assets part is that tricky, but that's probably because I'm not expecting a huge return. I'd be happy with a typical rental price like two 1st rounders, or preferably a prospect that's ready to contribute and the cap space.
I would be happy with a Knies prospect and a Weegar type D (that Calgary got) in return.
Unless it’s Makar, I don’t really want a 9 + mil salary in return because I want those 2 players at good cost plus draft pick, so I can also sign a Montour + Marchessault (example) and basically turn Marner’s exit into like 4 players. That and a goalie upgrade.
Then next year 11 million on Tavares becomes available.

So basically, it becomes Matthews/Nylander/Knies/Domi/Marchessault/maybe Bertuzzi up front and you add that Weggar D with Montour/Rielly/Benoit/McCabe on the back.

That’s what I’d be looking for.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

If you watch back all the series... you will find that Marner is behind many if not most of the backbreaking goals against. Ridiculous delay of game penalties, risky flip pass hail Mary that is intercepted, failed clears, giveaway on a attempted deke, the panther pass to matthews inside his own blueline, the Pastrnak one... I can name at least 7 backbreaking giveaways that led to gwg against in critical games. That's pretty incredible.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
If you watch back all the series... you will find that Marner is behind many if not most of the backbreaking goals against. Ridiculous delay of game penalties, risky flip pass hail Mary that is intercepted, failed clears, giveaway on a attempted deke, the panther pass to matthews inside his own blueline, the Pastrnak one... I can name at least 7 backbreaking giveaways that led to gwg against in critical games. That's pretty incredible.
IMG_1117.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Malachi Crunch

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Good read:

Athlete charities often lack standards

Does Bet99 let you put money on what % money raised on these grifts goes to “administrative fees”? I’m guessing less than 5% of they money that goes into this thing actually goes directly towards helping anyone who’s last name isn’t Marner.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Could be something like Marner to Anaheim for goalie John Gibson age 30 ($6.4 mil X 3 more years) & Trevor Zegras age 23 C/W [ 5.75 mil X 2 years RFA] = $12.15 mil instead of locking Marner in long-term at $12.5 mil.

If Zegras is a no go for Anaheim then I'm a big fan of a scrappy young forward like Mason McTavish and perhaps 1st round pick as Leafs attempt to rebuild a prospect pool that witnessed a scorched earth approach by the previous GM.

View attachment 868934

Gibson + McTavish + future 1st for Marner.
McTavish for the talent.
Gibson for Cap.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Ive previously posted the videos of each one... but that was back in the "Marner Appreciation" Thread where a certain group of posters reported all critical posts about Marner because it was against their made up rules of an "appreciation thread", however, a Marner separate thread wasn't permitted (typically two player threads aren't allowed since I've been here). Interestingly this thread was created by one of those members and the rest have coincidentally become quiet. The creator doesn't attack others critical opinions quite as passionately anymore. Not sure why they fear posting those same opinions they once did. Might be because they are afraid of their opinions being attacked as they are now a very clear minority. They used to have such a good time attacking others with their small Mob though...good times indeed.

Last edited:

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I would like to see those videos, you should post them here.
Sure:

2021 vs Montreal, Game 6: Penalty kill, Marner has all the time in the world to clear the puck and he instead decides to go fancy and flip it out of play and get a delay of game penalty. Montreal scored on the subsequent 2 man advantage.

I would like to see those videos, you should post them here.
Leafs vs Montreal: Game 7, Marner tries to pull a deke at the offensive bleulin4 and Montreal steals for odd man rush going the other way and scores:

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
@NinjaKick

2022 vs Tampa: game 6 OT, Marner tries to send a hail Mary flip pass to Matthews, which would need to clear numerous Tampa Players. The pass is way short and Tampa player off the bench picks it off at full speed and Leaf defenders are caught flat footed. Marner is flat footed and gets stick knocked out hand and then goes lame duck skating without stick as Point scores (note Marner passes this puck, couldn't find a video showing earlier moments of the stupid pass):

Last edited:

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
@NinjaKick

Leafs vs Tampa 2022: Game 5, fortunately leafs won this in OT. However, Marner blew their lead. He gets puck in corner instead of trying to clear the zone, h3 decides tonsoftly turn back and slips and falls, turning over puck. He takes his sweet time getting up and puck is in back of Leafs net. Would've been a good time for a "this isn't junior bro" talk. 6 min mark of video below:

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I’d be shocked if any team pays him more than he is currently getting
Apparently on July 2nd he gets his bonus and then makes $750K next season. He will need to go to another team and lead them into the playoffs before he folds but he could command $12 Million for say 5 to 6 years on the open market..not with Toronto, its over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad