Player Discussion Marner Talk

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Don’t mean to sound harsh about this or personal in any way, but the way Mitch Marner and Marner Camp has operated in their time in Toronto would lead me to believe he lacks any kind of self reflection, if that can be defined as “smart” or not.

Everything from the contract negotiation, the stand off relationship to the media and by the extension the hometown fanbase, the inability to connect and hit the right PR tone (just compare him to Domi and ROR in terms of playing to the crowd), the implicit comparisons to Matthews.

For all the great hockey Marner has provided over the years, Marner Camp has never been smart about how to build a likeable brand in their own hometown.
Quality PR firms are really not that pricey.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
To me the most telling comment about MM this off season is Ray Ferraro. He is not someone who says crap to get clicks or be controversial.
When Hayes asked him what he thought of MM in Game 7, he said he is eithe injured or uninterested. Since even MM himself had not said a word about being injured. I am leaning towards uninterested. It is Game 7, do or die, must win, how can you be uninterested?

He can win 10 Cups after being traded but who cares, he couldn’t do them here while he was the Core, a Centerpiece, the engine or as some like to call, the straw that stir the drink.

I don’t mind a JT for Sid one for one.
Dubas might do it
Elite defensive player allows opponent to blow past him 2 minutes into game #7 OT. Show him the money.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Oh absolutely. I mean when I saw him on TV saying that, I was taken aback at the time but then I realized that kid's probably lived most of his life in a hockey rink so it's not that surprising that he knows nothing expect hockey. I was taken aback recently when a co-worker told me he's never read a book but hey, people are different and all kinds of things are possible.

Still, there's something to be said for having at least a little bit of balance in one's life. JMHO.

There's different kinds of smart for sure.
Mitch can pay others to do his thinking off the ice.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Quality PR firms are really not that pricey.

Like I said earlier in this thread. Marner is such an oddball. For a hometown GTA star who actually got drafted by the hometown team he seems to have no clue how to speak to the audience, tell them what they want to hear or play in the culture that Toronto loves. It’s just bizarre how out of touch Marner Camp has been the whole time.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
After watching some of the other teams in the 2nd round I'm keeping Marner.

The only teams in the East that can take us out are Boston and Florida and they'd each need 7 games to do it.

The emotional thing to do is blow it up but the logical thing to do is tweak: Top 4 D and a new goalie. Run everything else back, especially with JTs cap hit going away soon

Tweak is putting it lightly though. A top 4 D and goalie are critical components but I'm not sacrificing Marner to bring them in
You think a team with a 5% powerplay and is physical unable to score 3 goals in a game is being taken out by only Boston and Florida? Any team is capable of taking out the Leafs in the Playoffs tbh.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Someone liked him enough to give him that contract ... someone who is looking at changing up the Leafs.
i mean he had a better .ppg than marner his last 3 years in FLA and had a 115 point season and brad signed him for more than a million less than marners 1st big extension, i dont think you can blame treliving for him falling off a cliff production wise, nobody the hockey world can explain that one lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: ACC1224

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
i mean he had a better .ppg than marner his last 3 years in FLA and got him for more than a million less than marners 1st big extension, i dont think you can blame treliving for him falling off a cliff production wise, nobody the hockey world can expalin that one lol.

I'm sure Calgary wouldn't be somewhere marner wants to go anyway ... would he?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
The thing that will happen isn’t listed, go figure.

He won’t be moved and he will walk at the end of next season

I don’t think he’ll be able to last a full year getting roasted by Leafs Nation.

The guy needs to help himself and move on.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
I'm sure Calgary wouldn't be somewhere marner wants to go anyway ... would he?
ooooh i get it, your saying that it could be a trade option. i mean in reality you are just trading one overpaid player for another, the problem with the notion of the "core" is that there too much allocated to 5 players and we cant afford depth or defense.. i would bet everything i own that theres 0 chance we replace marner with someone like him.

Reactions: ULF_55

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Gonna be hard to pry the Marners from the Leafs. His MAF foundation employs the entire lot of them lol... mom, dad, brother and wife...and probably much more.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
After watching some of the other teams in the 2nd round I'm keeping Marner.

The only teams in the East that can take us out are Boston and Florida and they'd each need 7 games to do it.

The emotional thing to do is blow it up but the logical thing to do is tweak: Top 4 D and a new goalie. Run everything else back, especially with JTs cap hit going away soon

Tweak is putting it lightly though. A top 4 D and goalie are critical components but I'm not sacrificing Marner to bring them in
Why stop at the east? The goal is the cup

Dallas smokes us in 5 maybe 6
Colorado sweeps us
Edmonton is just a much much better version of us
Vancouver isn’t even healthy and are finding ways to win, them in 7

Boston just ran our shit
Florida did so last year and got better, florida in 5
Rangers playoff chokers are both over a ppg, and they have Shesterkin, rangers in 6
Carolina would smother us, canes in 7

Any team can easily beat us. Matthews helped us to score 3 and we anointed him messier

Reactions: hamzarocks

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
I agree with the overall sentiment here that a Marner trade needs to be explored. However, we cannot get locked into having to trade him. We have to receive a fair offer if we are moving him out, he is still an elite regular-season player, and one of the best RW in the game.

On another note, not sure how popular this take will be, but I believe that trading Mitch should also be related to contract negotiations. If he is willing to take a substantial discount to stay, such as 10 million by 8 years, I would resign him. If he wants anything over what he is getting now (and I am sure he will) we have to move him out.

What we should look for in a Marner trade:

A RHD under 27 who is legitimately 1st pair quality.

A potential first line center.

Additional picks/prospects.

• Haha
Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Like I said earlier in this thread. Marner is such an oddball. For a hometown GTA star who actually got drafted by the hometown team he seems to have no clue how to speak to the audience, tell them what they want to hear or play in the culture that Toronto loves. It’s just bizarre how out of touch Marner Camp has been the whole time.
An oversized sense of entitlement will do that to a person.

Reactions: HolyCrap

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
No idea what will happen with Marner, presser seems promising, but actions speak louder than words. I love how Dreger already starting to send the Marner camp message ‘Darren Ferris will walk him to free agency..it won’t be easy..he could get pressure from fans..but that’s already happening…’. Leafs can also play hardball and make life very uncomfortable for him..remains to be seen if they have the balls

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad