Player Discussion Marner talk - daily repetition version.

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I don’t care about the context of it. I’m not interviewing him for a job. I’m just here to make fun of it. Gotta get something out of the core. Might as well be some laughs. They’re not giving me playoff wins.
I thought it was pretty obvious for the humor. Nobody is really upset about it. It's just such a Marner thing you have to go with it.

bBbkTG.gif

Reactions: Trapper

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I thought it was pretty obvious for the humor. Nobody is really upset about it. It's just such a Marner thing you have to go with it.

bBbkTG.gif
You get it, there seems to be some that don’t. When you say things like shambles and Gods, calling the coach a legend, handshake lines, etc. the jokes are coming.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I don’t care about the context of it. I’m not interviewing him for a job. I’m just here to make fun of it. Gotta get something out of the core. Might as well be some laughs. They’re not giving me playoff wins.

I agree, sometimes laughter is the best medicine.

Reactions: Trapper

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
If the Leafs were to offer something like that, he'd just say no, refuse to waive, and play out next season before heading to free agency. It's either sign him to a big contract or tell him he won't be re-signed with the hope he waives. Big risk either way.
The fact you and I think that, is exactly why it's a way to build good will

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
I disagree on this. If Marner was the guy who took a reasonable deal, they would be asking the other 3 why they didn't and would they have had a better team with the extra money. They would not be nearly as rabid about his deficiencies as they are now IMO.
Even if hypothetically Marner, Matthews and Nylander all took reasonable deals you're only saving a few million a year that's barely enough to sign one or two decent players at best. I don't think the Leafs are one or two decent players away from being a regular first round loser to a regular 3-4 round or even cup winning team.

The bigger difference maker would've been choosing not to sign Tavares or trading away one of the other big 3 and freeing up 10 million+ to sign 2-3 pretty good/really good players.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
The leafiest outcome possible is Mitch returns, goes on a heater until Dec/Jan and they sign him to an 8yr/12.5m+ mil contract.

"You cant just let him walk for nothing!!!!"

Book it.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
The leafiest outcome possible is Mitch returns, goes on a heater until Dec/Jan and they sign him to an 8yr/12.5m+ mil contract.

"You cant just let him walk for nothing!!!!"

Book it.

I’m thinking he isn’t going into the season unsigned.

My bet (if he wants to stay)

8/93 million.

He gets 11.625 per year. Slight raise. More than Willy. Gets his junior number. Makes some fans back.

• Haha
Reactions: BrannigansLaw

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

8/93 million.

He gets 11.625 per year. Slight raise. More than Willy. Gets his junior number. Makes some fans back.

If he signs to any contracts, it will not have a NMC or NTC.

I don't think MM will go into the season without an extension as all it takes is his usual early season slump and he will not recover from it. Esp if Domi and Bert resigns and there is a new coach, where he will put AM with Bert and Domi instead of having AM and MM together with a 3rd wheel.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA

8/93 million.

You think that would make fans like him? Lmao.

He is a hockey player..

Even amongst hockey players he is Corey and Trevor level dumb.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Mitch has a career in comedy tbh, anytime that guy gets a mic in his face it goes viral and it's pure comedic gold. There's pro comics that don't get that kind of action.

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
Marner + rights to Liljegren/something else for
6OA + rights to Hayton

Take Iginla / squeeze assets from Calgary if they want him that badly.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
You think that would make fans like him? Lmao.

Even amongst hockey players he is Corey and Trevor level dumb.

I think it is the most reasonable outcome.

That would be about 12.5% of the cap in a 93 million cap. What would you possibly think a 95 pt 1st team all star selke nominated winger would ask for?

About 14% is pretty standard for his stats.

That would be about 13.

He gets his money. He gets a small raise. More than Willie. It’s fair

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I think it is the most reasonable outcome.

That would be about 12.5% of the cap in a 93 million cap. What would you possibly think a 95 pt 1st team all star selke nominated winger would ask for?

About 14% is pretty standard for his stats.

That would be about 13.

He gets his money. He gets a small raise. More than Willie. It’s fair
He hasnt been ALL NHL team in 2 years and hasnt been close really these past two years

95 pt 1 time selke finalist winger is not impressive aa you think

Wingers who are better than Marner

Kucherov
Rantanen
Pasta
Tkachuk
Panarin

Wingers who are in same tier as Marner

Jason Robertson
Kirill Kaprizov

He is the 6th to 8th best winger in the league who doesnt have a great skating game and will be 28 at the time of being a UFA

That ignores his epic playoff failures all together.

We just saw 2 comparable wingers in Gaudreau and Huberdeau get insane money in their late 20s after elite years for past several years fall off.

Nylander was a better player than Marner for the full 2023-2024 season. If marner has another comparable year where Nylander outplays him again at 11.5M then he will need to take less than that to get his money

Next year is a big season for marner, whether in toronto or anywhere. He is at threat to be a non top 10 winger in the league if nylander continues playing like this, and reinhart, forsberg and a few other wingers have a repeat year.

League scoring is crazy high but marner is a non threat in any race (rocket, ross, assist title, hart, lindsay). It shows you he just a great player who isnt a franchise talent outside of toronto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad