Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
It’s almost like, after all this time, there could also be systemic reasons for lack of production by our forwards beyond just that they don’t show up
Bert was about as effective as you'd expect. Played as a similar level and production to what we saw in the regular season, not too dissimilar to his past few years.

He hit a heater last playoff and that was pretty obvious.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Bert was about as effective as you'd expect. Played as a similar level and production to what we saw in the regular season, not too dissimilar to his past few years.

He hit a heater last playoff and that was pretty obvious.

That’s more of a function of him not really having a very good season overall. He was doing some things well, but the production was rarely there.

I do agree he was on a bit of a heater last year for the bruins but it was also basically from the moment he arrived, so maybe there is something to how they deployed him or play that specifically helped him.

I’m just saying, offensive performers at any level in our lineup in the playoffs have been a rarity. It feels unlikely imo to have that kind of consistent struggles and not have systemic or structural changes that contribute to it

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

myleafs

May 25, 2021
It’s also been asked can the team with with 4 forwards taking up half the cap?
Definitely not 4 forwards who dont produce when it matters...looking at the totals again for our top paid guys in the playoffs compared to other top guys is depressing.

Reactions: saffronleaf

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Can’t wait too long or cap space starts to disappear for other clubs. I say draft table to July 3rd is the real window to make a big deal.
That works both ways if teams miss out on UFC’s and want to burn their allowance Marner might be many team’s plan B……….

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I don’t see why he wants to stay.
He is not going to get his 100mil contract from the Leafs unless he dominates the playoffs. Heck, if he dominated this past playoffs, he would already signed the 100mil contract from the Leafs.

I just don’t see MM and his camp believe that he can and will dominate next year playoffs.

Can’t wait too long or cap space starts to disappear for other clubs. I say draft table to July 3rd is the real window to make a big deal.
The deal will be in place around draft day but won’t be able to announce till after July 1 due to the bonus payment.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I don’t see why he wants to stay.
He is not going to get his 100mil contract from the Leafs unless he dominates the playoffs. Heck, if he dominated this past playoffs, he would already signed the 100mil contract from the Leafs.

I just don’t see MM and his camp believe that he can and will dominate next year playoffs.

The deal will be in place around draft day but won’t be able to announce till after July 1 due to the bonus payment.
Except had he dominated these playoffs, he and his agent would hold out to leverage the best deal he possibly could get and it likely would be a 5 year deal like Matthews so they can both follow the direction of Uncle Marleau.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Except had he dominated these playoffs, he and his agent would hold out to leverage the best deal he possibly could get and it likely would be a 5 year deal like Matthews so they can both follow the direction of Uncle Marleau.
No doubt about it and it will still be with the Leafs.

No doubt about it and it will still be with the Leafs.

Reactions: arso40

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
They can’t play outside their comfort zone, so a coach must tailor the game to their style not some preconceived notion on how a playoff game should be played. I agree if people don’t want a player because he doesn’t fit their way of thinking on how the game should be played, move on. Don’t be shocked when they perform like stars somewhere else.

I want to work like this. You know what. I work better drunk so make it so. You know what else I cant work without smoking a cigar and damnit I need the best food provided for me free. You know what I think I need more let me get back to you when I know what it is.

Know what I mean? Oh and dont criticize me, I got car jacked and people mean tweeted me. I may cry and ask for a raise because the emotional trauma.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It puts a new light on Keefe. He failed to protect Mitch from mean reporters! You can't expect one to produce in this atmosphere!

To quote Mitch himself "we are treated like a gods here, to be honest with you".

One could argue, you can't make him more comfortable here.
To be fair, they are also making them take lessons. I can see why adults don’t want lessons.

• Haha

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
That’s more of a function of him not really having a very good season overall. He was doing some things well, but the production was rarely there.

I do agree he was on a bit of a heater last year for the bruins but it was also basically from the moment he arrived, so maybe there is something to how they deployed him or play that specifically helped him.

I’m just saying, offensive performers at any level in our lineup in the playoffs have been a rarity. It feels unlikely imo to have that kind of consistent struggles and not have systemic or structural changes that contribute to it
I don’t think you can expect someone like Bert to score 5 goals in 7 playoffs games consistently.
Also Bert was having PP1 time in Boston something he didn’t have with the Leafs in the playoffs.
Personally, I think Bert did his job and more. He battled, caused chaos and relentless in forechecks. He was the reason AM and Willie got the chance to create that Game 7 goal.

Reactions: Tobyboy and egd27

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I don’t think you can expect someone like Bert to score 5 goals in 7 playoffs games consistently.
Also Bert was having PP1 time in Boston something he didn’t have with the Leafs in the playoffs.
Personally, I think Bert did his job and more. He battled, caused chaos and relentless in forechecks. He was the reason AM and Willie got the chance to create that Game 7 goal.
He sure was but if I had my choice I much rather debrusk over Bert especially at 5.5

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
I want to work like this. You know what. I work better drunk so make it so. You know what else I cant work without smoking a cigar and damnit I need the best food provided for me free. You know what I think I need more let me get back to you when I know what it is.

Know what I mean? Oh and dont criticize me, I got car jacked and people mean tweeted me. I may cry and ask for a raise because the emotional trauma.

No one said anything about actual work, just have to be comfortable.

The amount of crap his fans spin. He is playing a game, for his hometown, being paid $11M per year.

It takes a real character to make oneself a victim under these conditions!
A reporter asks about your game in an unflattering manner... Oh boy! How dare he?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
He sure was but if I had my choice I much rather debrusk over Bert especially at 5.5
Why not both, lol.

I think Debrusk got the Leafs killer thing. He is really nothing special as he was pretty invisible beside the first two games where he scored on the PP.

Still rather have Bert over DeBrusk

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I think a good portion of Leaf Nation don’t really care about playoff success, they’re probably itching to get on the golf course as soon as possible just like their hockey heroes………
I seriously wonder about this as well.
We all wanted a rebuild to lead to something bigger, I never asked for a white collar country club style build.

I want a 93 Pat Burns blue collar skill build. Like if we had Gilmour and Clark today adding a hard working build around that with more resources and drafting.

Instead we got expected goals, perimeter play, white collar, entitled, massive salary for zero playoff accomplishments.

We’ve done it their way for 8 years now. Time for a new way. I hope Berube is the first step and the core change is the next. I’d like to see a Cup instead of arguing with the run it back crowd.

TheGreenTBer

Generational Lesson Learner
Apr 30, 2021
No one said anything about actual work, just have to be comfortable.

The amount of crap his fans spin. He is playing a game, for his hometown, being paid $11M per year.

It takes a real character to make oneself a victim under these conditions!
A reporter asks about your game in an unflattering manner... Oh boy! How dare he?
Yup.

None of them are victims. Frauds is the better word. That one fits them all quite nicely.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
We all wanted a rebuild to lead to something bigger, I never asked for a white collar country club style build.

I want a 93 Pat Burns blue collar skill build. Like if we had Gilmour and Clark today adding a hard working build around that with more resources and drafting.

Instead we got expected goals, perimeter play, white collar, entitled, massive salary for zero playoff accomplishments.

We’ve done it their way for 8 years now. Time for a new way. I hope Berube is the first step and the core change is the next. I’d like to see a Cup instead of arguing with the run it back crowd.
If we only had Gilmour and Clark to guide the kids when 8 years ago. Their compete level will be off the chart, instead, we got Marleau and Jumbo.

Reactions: Trapper

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Those Burns teams we’re exciting hockey teams without the drama of entitled divas that’s for damn sure…….

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

Yes and we have Shanny and slide rule Kyle to thank for it

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Yes and we have Shanny and slide rule Kyle to thank for it
Most of the fans to blame as well. Just wait until next trade deadline “we are going for it trade all our picks away for a rental.”

Edit to add. Ooops I forgot our 1st 4 are already gone, oh well there is always the 2026 picks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad