Marlies Discussion: Marlies sign Richard Clune, Leafs inv to Training Camp

snizzbone*

I am kind of scratching my head with what is going on with the Marlies.

Last week, this was announced.

Director of Hockey Operations & AHL Governor Brad Lynn announced today that the Toronto Marlies have agreed to terms with defencemen Andrew Campbell and Brenden Miller along with forwards Christopher Clapperton, Brett Findlay and Patrick Watling. Terms of the deals are not disclosed.

Campbell, 27, was drafted 74th overall by the Los Angeles Kings in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft after three seasons with the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (OHL). The Caledonia, Ontario native spent five seasons with the Manchester Monarchs (AHL), before making his NHL debut in 2013-14. The 64 defenceman most recently split time between the Arizona Coyotes and Portland Pirates (AHL) last season. In 36 career NHL games, Campbell has recorded one assist and 10 penalty minutes.

Miller, 21, is a 6'1 defenceman who spent the last 5 seasons in the OHL, splitting time between the North Bay/Brampton Battalion. Undrafted, the Orangeville, Ontario native set highs in goals (19), assists (36) and points (55) while contributing 12 points in 15 playoff games this past season with North Bay.

Clapperton, 21, was a 2013 fifth round draft selection by the Florida Panthers. The 5'10 left winger has spent the past four years in the QMJHL playing three seasons for Blainville-Boisbriand Armada and last season with the Rimouski Oceanic. The Cap Espoir, PQ native set highs in career highs in goals (35), penalty minutes (77) along with playoff highs in goals (12), assists (13) and points (25) in 18 post season games this year. Clapperton was an assistant captain last season as a member of the QMJHL champion Rimouski Oceanic.

Findlay, 22, is returning to the Toronto Marlies after spending parts of last season with the team. The Echo Bay, Ontario native played 15 games for the Marlies while also playing 45 games with the Marlies ECHL affiliate the Orlando Solar Bears. Findlay, a 60 forward, enjoyed two seasons with the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (OHL) before ending his junior career with the Peterborough Petes (OHL).

Watling, 21, also returns to Toronto after splitting time last season between the Marlies and Orlando Solar Bears. In 15 games with the Marlies, the 60 forward scored one goal and added three assists while also contributing 41 points in 45 games for the Solar Bears. The Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario native played parts of three seasons with the Guelph Storm (OHL) before finishing his career with the his home town Greyhounds.

I suppose we can populate the ECHL affiliate, but given our number of prospects that need places to play too, it just seems like a lot of bodies.

More bodies = more net to catch a gem. It's why we moved down in the draft. The more players you bring into the organization the better chance you have at hitting a homerun. If even one of those guys becomes a serviceable NHLer its a good move.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Liked him in Nashville. He's an extremely hard worker that gives it his all shift in , shift out. So awesome kind of role model for the Marlies. Good addition with no risk involved. I could see him earning an NHL

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Holy crap man - what a story - I got kinda choked up reading that piece. He will be such a freakin mentor for all the bubble guys.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
People need to remember what Dubas said. The ECHL is going to be used for development as well. Most teams ignore it, and we aren't. They just brought in that coach from the NCAA I've heard good things about.

Guys like Gauthier, Verhaeghe, M.Rupert, R.Rupert, etc etc will all may see time in the ECHL, in order to get them the top minutes once and a while.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
More than most teams, rookies here get thrust into celebrity status faster all the time. Having a cautionary tale around these guys should be viewed as nothing but a good thing. Nice pickup for Dubas.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
At first I was worried about all these ahl signings, but then I realized our forward prospects outside of Brown/Leipsic/Nylander/Kapanen is thin. The marlies defence may have a logjam and verhaeghe/gauthier will be competing for the 3/4th lines with theahl signings.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
The AHL has a veteran rules of 5 players per team. Clune being seen as 1 of those vets.

To develop player you need to surround them with some vets to provide leadership and mentorship.

Clune and some you mentioned here are being used to create a competitive environment for Leafs prospects.

I think that some of these signings speak to the level of some of Leafs prospects of which I don't think Hunter and Dubas believe have much future potential. IMO

You can see with Biggs, McKegg, Ashton, Ross, Broll, Ryan, MacWilliam etc all dumped that clearing out the previous regime draft picks and prospect poll. I think there are still prospects in the system that will be forced out.

I don't think there are even any more low ceiling prospects to clear out. The only one I can think of is Devane and I'd assume the Leafs want him just to have a tough guy in the organization otherwise I don't see why he would still be here. The Marlies in general have been cleaned out so they should be really young and really entertaining next season

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Maybe.... They are filling the Marlies roster because some kids are going to get a real opportunity to stick with the big club.::::popcorn:

I believe we're going to be filling a lot of the Solar Bears Roster as well with the 'enhanced' partnership.

Lots of competition in camp, and some guys like Verheague (sp), Valiev, and maybe even Gauthier could start the year with Orlando until they are ready for AHL prime time.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
A role model? Really? Let's not glorify Clune like people did with Keefe. Clune is a recovered alcoholic who isn't a very good player.. great. Being a recovered alcoholic doesn't make him a role model or a "great person". The Marlies needed some veteran grit and that is what Clune will provide.

There are literally tons of speakers and counselors who have made their mark by warning others of following the same path that they themselves did. They are definitely role models. Come on man.

EN4CER

Burn the Boats
Apr 8, 2013
Toronto
A role model? Really? Let's not glorify Clune like people did with Keefe. Clune is a recovered alcoholic who isn't a very good player.. great. Being a recovered alcoholic doesn't make him a role model or a "great person". The Marlies needed some veteran grit and that is what Clune will provide.

I'm not sure what your idea of a role model is on an AHL team, but I think you should read Clune's piece.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/rich-clune-hockey-nhl/

Last edited by a moderator:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Clune is on the radio - basically, he said, he wants to shove it up people's ass who think he can't play, and it's going to be a matter of time before he puts on a Leafs jersey because people are going to have to keep up with his work ethic and dedication. he's not the most talented, but he'll do what it takes to get things done

Hello, Babcock's new favourite player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad