Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread - Vote Miettinen for the Hobey Baker!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Has anyone seen Ryan O'Connell? (We can all read a stats sheet, no input needed based on his numbers, they're not good)

If so, is there any chance that he's one of those unheralded guys that comes out of nowhere with a mobile defensive game or a just a complete non-prospect at this point?
I've caught a few games of his over the years and honestly, he's just out there. He really doesn't do a whole lot to push the needle in either direction. He's a good skater and puck mover but not really an offensive threat. He isn't overly physical and relies a ton on his skating and stick skills for defensive play from what I had seen. Wasn't really disappointed in his game but he just was very mellow. Reminded me a ton of Keaton Middleton when we had him. The guy didn't really push the needle in either direction and is carving out a very decent AHL career.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Has anyone seen Ryan O'Connell? (We can all read a stats sheet, no input needed based on his numbers, they're not good)

If so, is there any chance that he's one of those unheralded guys that comes out of nowhere with a mobile defensive game or a just a complete non-prospect at this point?

He's a nothing prospect, which is not overly surprising TBH. He was kind of a pick like Fusco was, and I don't imagine either are going to work out to be anything special. Maybe he will get tossed into a deal like Dzierkals was at some point.

Reactions: Morgs

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
View attachment 395800

@kyle_cush

Here's a quick look at how the #Marlies are shaping up following their OHL ATO additions. They play four games next week, beginning Monday at Manitoba.
White = NHL Contract
Orange = AHL Contract
Blue = AHL Amateur Try-Out

This is a pretty ugly forward group. The reason we've had such a good development program the past few years is because we've always had solid mid-range prospects being groomed with the Marlies (although to be fair, I guess most of our prospects are in Europe or the NCAA right now). I hope Hardie gets a good look - I wanted him on draft day and he could be a really interesting player to bring into our system

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

EuHdqXaXYAA4xEj

Reactions: Magic Man and rdogg

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
This is a pretty ugly forward group. The reason we've had such a good development program the past few years is because we've always had solid mid-range prospects being groomed with the Marlies (although to be fair, I guess most of our prospects are in Europe or the NCAA right now). I hope Hardie gets a good look - I wanted him on draft day and he could be a really interesting player to bring into our system

It's not updated.

Forwards
LW Nick Robertson – C Adam Brooks – RW Joey Anderson
LW Kenny Agostino – C Kalle Kossila – RW Justin Brazeau
LW Hudson Elynuik – C Rourke Chartier – RW Jeremy McKenna
LW Pavel Gogolev – C Tyler Gaudet – RW Scott Pooley
LW Rich Clune/C Colt Conrad/RW Gordie Green/C Bobby McMann
LW James Hardie (PTO)/LW Zack Trott (PTO)/RW Keegan Stevenson (PTO)/RW Cole MacKay (PTO)

Defensemen
LD Rasmus Sandin – RD Timothy Liljegren
LD Calle Rosen – RD Mac Hollowell
LD Teemu Kivihalme – RD Joseph Duszak
LD Kristians Rubins – RD David Warsofsky
LD Riley McCourt

G Ian Scott – G Kai Edmonds
G Andrew D’Agostini

Liljegren is currently with the Leafs but I imagine he will be sent back down soon. They are clearly making this an open tryout for most spots but it gives the Marlies an opportunity to see what they have in their AHL deals so they know who is just ECHL-bound depth and who can legitimately fill a spot for the Marlies next year. There will be an influx of prospects coming in next year up front (Abramov, Hallander, SDA, possibly Amirov) and many of these guys are not going to come back next year, so they are figuring out who should come back and which holes they will need to fill out with AHL veterans.

Robertson may be gone after a few games, but that just opens up another spot for a young guy to get good minutes (unless Petan comes back to the Marlies, but he should probably stick with the Leafs full time as of right now).

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
:laugh: Forgot Herzog is still Leaf property. He's practically PPG for HC Davos this season

Most sources don't realize that the NHL signed a transfer agreement with the NLA this year.

This means we can't hold his rights indefinitely anymore, and a bunch of other things (i.e. no NHL out-clause needed anymore, there are restrictions as to when we can sign guys, and there is a fee if we do and they are still under contract, etc.) among other things. I would want to see the non-translated version, as the English is a little bit broken on the translated version, but effectively we don't have Herzog's rights anymore.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
The Marlies roster looks... interesting .. But the depth of prospects outside of that looks quite good.

It's effectively an extended training camp. No Cup this year. No reason to pay veterans to help the team win when nothing is really at stake. The Marlies are mostly going with a prospect lineup and trying guys out, which is what should be happening.

EDIT: Also allows for depth guys to get some games in as well. No more complaining that Sandin and Liljegren are not getting into games and should have been loaned to Europe.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
hee hee hee miller time soon. The game is not on that site we all know, but it's free on hockeytv. The stream is crystal clear like the cbc one....or better.
Oh no their jerseys are all completely black with dark red letters. This is not going to be fun to track.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Most sources don't realize that the NHL signed a transfer agreement with the NLA this year.

This means we can't hold his rights indefinitely anymore, and a bunch of other things (i.e. no NHL out-clause needed anymore, there are restrictions as to when we can sign guys, and there is a fee if we do and they are still under contract, etc.) among other things. I would want to see the non-translated version, as the English is a little bit broken on the translated version, but effectively we don't have Herzog's rights anymore.

Looks like this is actually not true, as Carolina just traded the rights to Greg Hofmann for a 7th round pick despite getting selected in 2011. Maybe the Leafs can do that one day with Herzog, even though Hofmann is a better scorer than Herzog.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Joe Miller scores on a one-timer. He's had a good first shift. He tried to center farrell in front of the net. Then he receives a sick feed from fantilli for a slap one-timer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7even

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Sapego has been officially re-signed by the Marlies for this year and added to the roster. He should be an extra defenseman and another prospect they try out.

Nothing special for the Growlers last year, but is a late 99' so he was quite young for the league (and the Growlers had better guys eating up the good ice time).

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Anyone know if with the late AHL season start we'll have a chance on getting any of our guys in Euro/Russian league to join the Marlies for their playoff run?

I'm assuming SDA and Korshkov but I'm also curious about the status of Amirov, Niemela, Hallander, and Hirvonen, among others.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Anyone know if with the late AHL season start we'll have a chance on getting any of our guys in Euro/Russian league to join the Marlies for their playoff run?

I'm assuming SDA and Korshkov but I'm also curious about the status of Amirov, Niemela, Hallander, and Hirvonen, among others.
Apparently for now AHL won't even have playoffs.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Apparently for now AHL won't even have playoffs.

There is no Cup, at least that is what they are deciding at this point, but they could be playing games for really as long as they want. It's all meant to be exhibition and evaluation so they could decide to go as long as the NHL, or longer than the NHL, if they choose.

Those guys are likely not available until the NHL playoffs. Some of them, like Korshkov and Malgin, will likely be used as depth for the playoffs, while the others may be able to get into some AHL games, but I doubt they would get into many.

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
It's not updated.

Forwards
LW Nick Robertson – C Adam Brooks – RW Joey Anderson
LW Kenny Agostino – C Kalle Kossila – RW Justin Brazeau
LW Hudson Elynuik – C Rourke Chartier – RW Jeremy McKenna
LW Pavel Gogolev – C Tyler Gaudet – RW Scott Pooley
LW Rich Clune/C Colt Conrad/RW Gordie Green/C Bobby McMann
LW James Hardie (PTO)/LW Zack Trott (PTO)/RW Keegan Stevenson (PTO)/RW Cole MacKay (PTO)

Defensemen
LD Rasmus Sandin – RD Timothy Liljegren
LD Calle Rosen – RD Mac Hollowell
LD Teemu Kivihalme – RD Joseph Duszak
LD Kristians Rubins – RD David Warsofsky
LD Riley McCourt

G Ian Scott – G Kai Edmonds
G Andrew D’Agostini

Liljegren is currently with the Leafs but I imagine he will be sent back down soon. They are clearly making this an open tryout for most spots but it gives the Marlies an opportunity to see what they have in their AHL deals so they know who is just ECHL-bound depth and who can legitimately fill a spot for the Marlies next year. There will be an influx of prospects coming in next year up front (Abramov, Hallander, SDA, possibly Amirov) and many of these guys are not going to come back next year, so they are figuring out who should come back and which holes they will need to fill out with AHL veterans.

Robertson may be gone after a few games, but that just opens up another spot for a young guy to get good minutes (unless Petan comes back to the Marlies, but he should probably stick with the Leafs full time as of right now).
Assuming these are the lines
Forwards
The top line is strong. I have questions about the 2nd line but if Kossila can get comfortable which he never really did last year, it's fine. 3rd line is okay but I don't think it's great. Good 4th line.

The defence just like last 2-3 years should be a strong suit unless Moore ruins it again.

The 1st pair is probably a top 3 pairing in the league or close to it. You have the 2 way all round stud in Lilly with the high IQ 1st pair offensive mind in Sandin.
The 2nd pair is really good. Rosen is good enough to be on the 1st pair so him on the 2nd is great depth. The biggest wild card is Hollowell. The organization is high on him so they need to start playing him meaningful minutes. Get him on the 2nd pair with mid usage and PP time. He needs to play his game. Being conservative won't get him anywhere.
The 3rd pair is good but it's an odd mix. I would do Rubins with Kivihalme even though the handidness is the same.

Goalies could go anywhere.

The coaching can't be any worse after Moore was hired. From imploding games to strange lineups to embarassing post game interviews. It can only go up from here. In some respects, he is coaching for his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad