Prospect Info: Marlies / Prospects Thread - All seasons well under way

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
With his size, he should be plastering his opponents against the boards. Hope he makes a comeback.

Carrick played in the ECHL not too long ago, I view Biggs' newly found offence a positive. 4 goals in 7 games is solid in a pro league. We will see, but I am already on record in saying he will be back with with the Marlies soon. Let's hope, he can be a key piece.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Carrick played in the ECHL not too long ago, I view Biggs' newly found offence a positive. 4 goals in 7 games is solid in a pro league. We will see, but I am already on record in saying he will be back with with the Marlies soon. Let's hope, he can be a key piece.

Yea that's a good point with Carrick.

You can 2 different approaches when you are demoted. You can take it as a message that your play wasn't good enough and take the time to improve and play in all aspects of the game. Or you can pout and take it as a jab and do nothing. I think that Biggs is making the most of it. It sounds like he's getting some confidence and that's a good sign.

Also, watching the game today I was very impressed with how well McKegg has improved. His skating was a big issue and it has greatly improved. He's one of the main focuses on the ice on a young Marlies team.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yea that's a good point with Carrick.

You can 2 different approaches when you are demoted. You can take it as a message that your play wasn't good enough and take the time to improve and play in all aspects of the game. Or you can pout and take it as a jab and do nothing. I think that Biggs is making the most of it. It sounds like he's getting some confidence and that's a good sign.

Also, watching the game today I was very impressed with how well McKegg has improved. His skating was a big issue and it has greatly improved. He's one of the main focuses on the ice on a young Marlies team.

Perhaps he just needs to gain confidence, I don't like the usage of him being on the Marlies 4th line.

Being placed in an offensive role with Orlando is the best thing to happen for his hockey career since playing with Jenner and Dal Colle.

I have never given up on Tyler, he will be back with the Marlies if he is not traded, when he does, I hope it is in a top 6 - 9 role.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
We're going to have some trade bait soon with Leivo, Johnson, Brown and Nylander all show top 6 potential.

Lupul and one of Kadri/Bozak may be expendable in the next two years.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
We're going to have some trade bait soon with Leivo, Johnson, Brown and Nylander all show top 6 potential.

Lupul and one of Kadri/Bozak may be expendable in the next two years.

I think it's easy to insert 1 of those 4 into the lineup. All of them might be hard to get in at the same time. You also have to consider that the Leafs will have a 1st round pick next year and whomever you draft in the 1st round will also draw consideration into joining the team.

Another name to look out for is Dominic Toninato. IMO, he projects to be a 2nd line centre and has good size at 6'2.

Just because Lupul is struggling right now and Winnik is playing well, doesn't mean the trend will continue. (aside from Lupul getting hurt) There will be a time that the "1st line" will get lit up and people will want to demote Winnik and make Komarov apart of the top line.

Also, people seem to just move on from Clarkson. He had a bad year last year and everyone wants him traded and now that he's playing well, everyone is hum about it.

Lets just relax and hope that the hard working trend continues.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
I think it's easy to insert 1 of those 4 into the lineup. All of them might be hard to get in at the same time. You also have to consider that the Leafs will have a 1st round pick next year and whomever you draft in the 1st round will also draw consideration into joining the team.

Another name to look out for is Dominic Toninato. IMO, he projects to be a 2nd line centre and has good size at 6'2.

Just because Lupul is struggling right now and Winnik is playing well, doesn't mean the trend will continue. (aside from Lupul getting hurt) There will be a time that the "1st line" will get lit up and people will want to demote Winnik and make Komarov apart of the top line.

Also, people seem to just move on from Clarkson. He had a bad year last year and everyone wants him traded and now that he's playing well, everyone is hum about it.

Lets just relax and hope that the hard working trend continues.

I'm not picking on Lupul, I'm just saying he's the most expendable of our top 6 wingers, and we have 3/4 guys who will likely be able to fill top 6 roles within a couple of years.

I'm also a fan of Toninato, but I see him more as a 3rd line scorer. I'm also not too sure why you brought up Winnik and Komorav, neither are top 6 quality players.

Alexanderthe89

Apr 29, 2011
Why are we not allowed to be excited about Connor Brown? I always heard footspeed would hold him back, hasn't seemed to a problem so far in the AHL.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Why are we not allowed to be excited about Connor Brown? I always heard footspeed would hold him back, hasn't seemed to a problem so far in the AHL.

His work ethic is unreal .. For a perceived "undersized" skilled winger to be making an impact in his rookie pro season is pretty great to see .. It still very early so it will be interesting to see how he holds up over a full season but I like him beating the odds .. He seems determined

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Yeah Brown has turned himself into a legit prospect. Alot of guys can tear up the CHL, but can't do much when they turn pro. Brown has shown at least so far he can produce in the AHl, yet to be seen if he can do it in the NHL.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Gauthier is in action today at 4PM.

He needs to start taking a step forward. Only has 1 point in 3 Games.

This is should be his break out year offensively, time to see some of this as a 19 year old.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Yeah Brown has turned himself into a legit prospect. Alot of guys can tear up the CHL, but can't do much when they turn pro. Brown has shown at least so far he can produce in the AHl, yet to be seen if he can do it in the NHL.

Consistency is key over a large sample of games. Brown is off to a great start, but let's not call him a point producing player just yet in limited sample size.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
I don't even know who his competition is, but Connor Brown has to have rookie of the year potential in the AHL.

He's incredible. He actually reminds me of Zack Parise a bit; maybe it's just the hustle, but I love the way he's always playing with 100% effort and has skill on top of that. He has first line potential, though I'd say he's most likely to be a 2nd line RW.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
I don't even know who his competition is, but Connor Brown has to have rookie of the year potential in the AHL.

He's incredible. He actually reminds me of Zack Parise a bit; maybe it's just the hustle, but I love the way he's always playing with 100% effort and has skill on top of that. He has first line potential, though I'd say he's most likely to be a 2nd line RW.

It's posts like these that manifest unrealistic expectations for a lot of the casual posters. He's a good player with top 6 potential definitely, AHL ROY, at this point who cares.. Enjoy watching Brown trying to flourish in the Marlies system, and if he receives accolade at the end of the year great..

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Gauthier is in action today at 4PM.

He needs to start taking a step forward. Only has 1 point in 3 Games.

This is should be his break out year offensively, time to see some of this as a 19 year old.

Thank you for informing us of this expectation every time he plays. I had forgotten since the last time he you mentioned it...

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
It's posts like these that manifest unrealistic expectations for a lot of the casual posters. He's a good player with top 6 potential definitely, AHL ROY, at this point who cares.. Enjoy watching Brown trying to flourish in the Marlies system, and if he receives accolade at the end of the year great..

Why would I do that? If 'casuals' can't come to a personal opinion, that's not my problem.

Brown put up 45-83- 128 in 68GP last year. That's rather enormous. The reason people weren't overly excited about him was because he's a bit undersized and maybe some skating issues, but he has transitioned very well to pro so far, and his skating is looking fantastic.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Why would I do that? If 'casuals' can't come to a personal opinion, that's not my problem.

Brown put up 45-83- 128 in 68GP last year. That's rather enormous. The reason people weren't overly excited about him was because he's a bit undersized and maybe some skating issues, but he has transitioned very well to pro so far, and his skating is looking fantastic.

The reason people weren't overly excited is that it happens all time where a player dominates a junior league and turns out to be a bust. People overlooked him because he played on the same team as McDavid, regardless of playing on different lines.

The issue on these boards is that a small sample size of decent production= an AHL ROTY. Let the kid hit the milestone first without creating a misconceived expectation that surrounds the Toronto market.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
i still see brown as more of a macarthur type than a star, but i won't limit him to anything yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad