Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread - 2021/22 PART III

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Oh he looks so f***ing bad. Not exactly sure how he could look worse than he did with the Leafs, but he could not look less interested. I am pretty sure he hasn't put 2 hands on his stick all night. I've seen better intensity in my beer league. I thought I heard the broadcast say he departed at one point in the game and it had my hopes up that there was a mid game trade. But then his mopey ass hopped over the boards the next minute.

I can understand a player being upset at being down in the minors after being an NHL regular for years, but ultimately he did this to himself. He was given more than a fair shake with the big boys and failed time and time again. You never saw Galchenyuk drag his ass around the ice when he reported to the Marlies last year. He came in, dominated, and was swiftly called up. Not exactly sure why Nick would think that was out of the range of possibilities for him. I have very little sympathy for him at this point TBH.

Just heard now that he has not returned for the 3rd. Hopefully that's a good sign. Please get this guy out of this organization.

To be honest, Ritchie looks like a dude who just doesn't give a f***. I think he might benefit greatly from seeing a sports psychologist. Might be an issue of performance anxiety or other psych barriers holding him back from playing to his potential.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Just heard now that he has not returned for the 3rd. Hopefully that's a good sign. Please get this guy out of this organization.

How has that not blown up?

I also like how Suomela joins the line and not even ten minutes in he has an assist on a Joey Anderson goal.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
How has that not blown up?

I also like how Suomela joins the line and not even ten minutes in he has an assist on a Joey Anderson goal.
It could be just an injury, but my guess is he was told to stay in the room. Pathetic to see him drag his ass when there is a hungry player like Abramov being HS'd (so we think).

If he wants to play in the NHL, he's gotta show that he can play in the f***in AHL. Even if he wants a trade, I can almost guarantee he would go straight to the AHL in a trade at this point. Unless teams are actively wanting to lose.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I second the post too. I think transitioning Amirov and Knies into the Leafs lineup after next season is the best option for us. Not only does it help space out our ELCs (which is very important), it allows some of our other prospects who are a little further along the pro-chain (guys like Steeves, Abramov, Kral, SDA, Holmberg, Robertson, etc.) to slot in next year and potentially allow us to plug in holes long term for the bottom 6.

Like @Twine Tickler mentioned in this post, the 2025 offseason will get a bit messy for us potentially. The way Dubas and company have signed the deals so far is nice because both the Muzzin/Brodie contracts will be up along with Mrazk which will free up around 13 mil in cap space the prior offseason with Matthews/Nylander coming up as UFA. We can easily accommodate their pay raises that season and whatever is leftover can go towards resigning Lilly/Sandy. JT shouldn't get a massive contract on his next deal and whatever we save on his deal probably goes to pay for Mitch.

I think the biggest key for us (assuming Dubas and Co. aren't getting canned by that point) is that in the 2024 and 2025 offseasons if we play our cards right with our ELCs, we might be able to sneak on another premium piece onto the roster for ($6-8 mil on a short term deal). And that can be huge in the short term. Worst-case scenario, Sandin and Lilly outplay their contracts and deserve big raises, we can keep them around as well with the cap savings from the ELCs.

Players like Knies, Robertson, Amirov IMO are on borrowed time. I think once they ride out their ELCs we're going to pump and dump em for shiny toys to restock the prospect cupboard. Unless one of them really pops and becomes part of the core.

All in all, very exciting times ahead!

2022-23
Bunting - Matthews - Marner
Robertson - JT - Nylander
Kase - Kampf - Steeves
Engvall - Brooks - Simmonds
Spezza

Rielly - Brodie
Sandin - Lilly
Muzzin - Dermott
Kral

Will probably see Abramov, SDA, Ho-Sang in the mix too.

2023-24
Kase - Matthews - Marner
Knies - Abramov - Amirov
Engvall - Kampf - Steeves
Brooks

Rielly - Brodie
Sandin - Lilly
Muzzin - Niemela
Kral

I feel like we haven't seen the last of Carter Verhaeghe or Mason Marchment in the Leafs organization. They tried bringing back Verhaeghe the year they were messing around with the Vesey experiment and Marchment is a UFA this summer.

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I feel like we haven't seen the last of Carter Verhaeghe or Mason Marchment in the Leafs organization. They tried bringing back Verhaeghe the year they were messing around with the Vesey experiment and Marchment is a UFA this summer.

I don't think I see it happening. Both guys are pretty solid NHL guys and are probably going to make north of 3 mil on their next contracts. I don't think we have the cap space for that. Both guys were great value on their ELCs but obviously, Verhaeghe wasn't valued by Lou, and Marchment was buried in favor of veterans. Both are also in great situations in Florida where they are getting lots of playing time with a slightly older group of players who aren't as dependent on vets.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Ritchie is so f***ing frustrating. He's so strong. If he gave a f*** he'd be a solid contributor. He'll look back on his career with regret.

Yep.

Look at the pre-season, he had such nice touches with the puck and scored goals that could be given to him on a platter with this team...

His size and hands are a rare combo, but he has no desire to use it.

He'd be a fan favourite if he just ran around hitting people, but he doesn't even want to do that.

Reactions: LeafChief

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I second the post too. I think transitioning Amirov and Knies into the Leafs lineup after next season is the best option for us. Not only does it help space out our ELCs (which is very important), it allows some of our other prospects who are a little further along the pro-chain (guys like Steeves, Abramov, Kral, SDA, Holmberg, Robertson, etc.) to slot in next year and potentially allow us to plug in holes long term for the bottom 6.

Like @Twine Tickler mentioned in this post, the 2025 offseason will get a bit messy for us potentially. The way Dubas and company have signed the deals so far is nice because both the Muzzin/Brodie contracts will be up along with Mrazk which will free up around 13 mil in cap space the prior offseason with Matthews/Nylander coming up as UFA. We can easily accommodate their pay raises that season and whatever is leftover can go towards resigning Lilly/Sandy. JT shouldn't get a massive contract on his next deal and whatever we save on his deal probably goes to pay for Mitch.

I think the biggest key for us (assuming Dubas and Co. aren't getting canned by that point) is that in the 2024 and 2025 offseasons if we play our cards right with our ELCs, we might be able to sneak on another premium piece onto the roster for ($6-8 mil on a short term deal). And that can be huge in the short term. Worst-case scenario, Sandin and Lilly outplay their contracts and deserve big raises, we can keep them around as well with the cap savings from the ELCs.

Players like Knies, Robertson, Amirov IMO are on borrowed time. I think once they ride out their ELCs we're going to pump and dump em for shiny toys to restock the prospect cupboard. Unless one of them really pops and becomes part of the core.

All in all, very exciting times ahead!

2022-23
Bunting - Matthews - Marner
Kase - Kampf - Steeves
Engvall - Brooks - Simmonds
Spezza

Rielly - Brodie
Sandin - Lilly
Muzzin - Dermott
Kral

Will probably see Abramov, SDA, Ho-Sang in the mix too.

2023-24
Kase - Matthews - Marner
Knies - Abramov - Amirov
Engvall - Kampf - Steeves
Brooks

Rielly - Brodie
Sandin - Lilly
Muzzin - Niemela
Kral

I like the optimism but it's a touch ambitious to expect all of the prospects to eventually step up on the big club. Unfortunately some won't pan out as expected despite their promise now, and there will be UFA/trade considerations too.

That being said, the depth of the prospect pool to support the core is incredible. Even though they all won't make it, the odds of shoring up the depth of the roster with these cheap young players is very high. As mentioned, they just need to hit on 1-2 of those to become near-core pieces that provide insanely cheap ELC value for their performance.

Reactions: stickty111

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Ritchie is so f***ing frustrating. He's so strong. If he gave a f*** he'd be a solid contributor. He'll look back on his career with regret.

again not sure why this is being made into such a big deal. A lot of players react like this when they get sent to the minors. But bc it’s Toronto it’s gets blown out of proportion. Who cares if he’s mopey. I probably would be too, it’s a shitty feeling to go from NHL regular to minors. Yes his play got him there, but I can completely understand his feelings of frustration. Nothing he does in the AHL is going to affect his value. Best thing to do is trade him or just buy him out, get a fresh start for everyone. People wishing him bad or that he stays buried ( I know you didn’t, just generalizing) is typical leafs fans

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
They are? When did this happen. I only heard that it was a rumor. Granted a rumor can be based on fact, but also completely made up.
Literally insiders said they made traction on a trade. Anyways I'm not talking about a player who won't be here anyways.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
again not sure why this is being made into such a big deal. A lot of players react like this when they get sent to the minors. But bc it’s Toronto it’s gets blown out of proportion. Who cares if he’s mopey. I probably would be too, it’s a shitty feeling to go from NHL regular to minors. Yes his play got him there, but I can completely understand his feelings of frustration. Nothing he does in the AHL is going to affect his value. Best thing to do is trade him or just buy him out, get a fresh start for everyone. People wishing him bad or that he stays buried ( I know you didn’t, just generalizing) is typical leafs fans
Why do you generalize people so much? Thats a terrible look man.

Reactions: LeafChief

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Why do you generalize people so much? Thats a terrible look man.

there were literally people in the Nick Ritchie thread who were wishing ill or that he gets buried there for life. and I specifically said not leafchief. and secondly I don't care man LOL, it's an online forum I give zero shits about how I'm perceived on here.

Last edited:

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

This is a terrible look for Ritchie.

It is the look he had as a Leaf too.
No passion, urgency or excitment.

I don't have a history of following Ritchie prior to this season but my take is something has changed and he looks ready to take a break away from the game.
He is getting by on name value and that he is 220 lbs every day. Certainly has not shown a nasty streak that I thought he would bring.

Maybe a break is what he needs to decide if he still has the stomach for what is required for him to be a successful NHL player.

Reactions: francis246

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It is the look he had as a Leaf too.
No passion, urgency or excitment.

I don't have a history of following Ritchie prior to this season but my take is something has changed and he looks ready to take a break away from the game.
He is getting by on name value and that he is 220 lbs every day. Certainly has not shown a nasty streak that I thought he would bring.

Maybe a break is what he needs to decide if he still has the stomach for what is required for him to be a successful NHL player.

He doesn't seem like a guy who particularly enjoys hockey, from being a sleepwalking draft bust in the Anaheim system to being unqualified in Boston. Not really sure if there are any better hockey coattails he could ride on if he couldn't take advantage of playing with Matthews and Marner. Maybe the game isn't for him. The great news is he has his youth and millions in earnings from the game.

Reactions: The Iceman

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
there were literally people in the Nick Ritchie thread who were wishing ill or that he gets buried there for life. and I specifically said not leafchief. and secondly I don't care man LOL, it's an online forum I give zero shits about how I'm perceived on here.
I know, people show their true colours online. You also seem to think cockiness is an admirable trait which isn't good either. But I digress. You're unlikely to change.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I know, people show their true colours online. You also seem to think cockiness is an admirable trait which isn't good either. But I digress. You're unlikely to change.

LMAO, that's not what I said at all. I said in hockey, confidence is very often misconstrued as cockiness because having any sort of personality is literally shut down or frowned upon. It's why the game is boring OUTSIDE of hockey being played. Having some swagger and confidence should be celebrated. Players giving honest and candid interviews about their emotions and feelings should be celebrated and welcomed. That's what drives entertainment, that's what gives buzz. The NHL could learn more from the other major leagues.

I want Nick Robertson to be pissed that he's not in the NHL right now, hopefully that motivates him enough to keep producing and getting there. But this idea that players have to be happy all the time or being oh so grateful to be in the AHL is utopian BS. The goal for most of them is to be in the NHL.

Also I don't know how many times I can say this, I don't give a shit what you think you do or don't know about me lol. It's an online forum, you can't accurately perceive anything my personality, personal life, how I am in real life from anything I post. So if it makes you feel good at night to think I'm some certain way that's cool, if you don't that's also cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad