Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Easton Cowan is in that tough spot of needing to go back to the OHL next year or make the NHL, I just don't know what else he's supposed to do in Jr.

Maybe have a dominant World Jrs?

Reactions: arso40

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I believe you are correct.

Now they could trade him anytime he agrees to waive, but he couldn't get the 8th. year.

Would he even want an 8 year deal?

I'd imagine his agent will at least want that option as a negotiation tool.

Though I've now heard a few media heads say he may look for 100ish mil on next deal, and the only way to hit that is 8 years. Of course they may be speculating

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I might be wrong but i thought Marner was not eligible to sign a new deal extension until July 1.
Then the new team can execute a sign and trade and get his 8 years.
You are correct about July 1st. You are incorrect about the sign and trade. The sign and trade is typically reserved for players who are being traded, at the end of the year that they become a UFA. In this case, if Marner played out the season for us next year, and then signed after the season, and was traded.

• Players can only sign a contract for up to seven years. If they re-sign with their current team, the maximum length is eight years which can result in possible sign-and-trade deals.
If he gets traded this off season, his next team will be his "current" team.

(iv) An SPC with a term of greater than seven (7) years, provided, however, that a Club may sign a Player to an SPC with a term of up to eight (8) years if that Player was on such Club’s Reserve List as of and since the most recent Trade Deadline. With respect to potential Unrestricted Free Agents only, the ability to re-sign a Player to an SPC of eight (8) years expires when the Player becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent. With respect to a Player who becomes a Group 2 Restricted Free Agent, a Club may sign such Player to an SPC with a term of up to eight (8) years provided such Player was on such Club’s Reserve List and/or Restricted Free Agent List as of and since the most recent Trade Deadline.

If he's with the new team, before the next trade deadline, he's eligible for eight years.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I would move Robertson along with one of the core if it returned known quality, the risk for the other team banking on what many here, and I, believe to be a player with 25ish goals in him. I think the kid may have more, he improved a lot this year: avoided injury by playing more cautiously with the puck on his stick, while skating hard throughout his shift, with an improved stride, even when not to great results. Which is common to young players early in their careers. He’s been here awhile, but he hasn’t played many games. He’s learning. And, dear me the kid can unload the puck.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
There will be so much competition for wingers next year, so I really think it would be difficult for a guy like Bellows to break through. Knies, Robertson, McMann, Dewar... all LW's, and that's without talking about resigning Bertuzzi, or bringing in a UFA signing in lieu of Bertuzzi.... I mean, maybe if there are some injuries at some point, and he excels next year... Bellows was incredibly streaky this year... he sure had some positive moments, but then long stretches of nothing.

From an Athletic article in January..

Yet even with his goal-scoring prowess, Bellows’ game has room for improvement.

AHL coaches love to use the word “details.” They know if a player can’t master the game’s small but repetitive elements every shift, those players stand little chance of being trusted by NHL coaches with higher expectations. And there are details in Bellows’ game that are sometimes lacking: He has difficulty catching passes cleanly, losing valuable seconds in transition. He struggles to use his stick effectively to shut down opposition plays, which feels like a valuable trait for a potential bottom-six NHL player to master. With the puck on his stick, he’s hit-and-miss at beating defenders out wide.
As it stands, Bellows simply gives the organization an offence-first option on left wing.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Easton Cowan is in that tough spot of needing to go back to the OHL next year or make the NHL, I just don't know what else he's supposed to do in Jr.

Yeah, it's a tricky one but I almost feel glad that his status forces our hand a bit. I think the Leafs have to keep him up. I think some creative roster management could be the solution here. For example,

- He makes the team out of camp and we give him the "9-game look", and maybe we do that over a 12 to 15 game span with a few healthy scratches on there.

- We keep him up and we play him as much as he deserves or has earned, but if he is struggling we split him in the lineup and let him learn in practice, the press box and with our development program.

- We let him go to the World Juniors where he gets lots of ice time and experience.

- We inflate an injury and LTIR him for a bit and then let him have a Marlies conditioning stint.

The above would give him 40 or so NHL games, a few Marlies games, and the World Juniors. That all seems more valuable than another season with the Knights.

Minten and Grebenkin could share the load and all play games in the NHL, those two have Marlies options. Maybe we go into the season with the 12th forward spot being shared among the three? If they are too good for sharing then we move someone else out or wait for the inevitable injuries to come to others.

Of course if Cowan is a player right away, we play him for 82 games and are glad we have him up with us

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
There will be so much competition for wingers next year, so I really think it would be difficult for a guy like Bellows to break through. Knies, Robertson, McMann, Dewar... all LW's, and that's without talking about resigning Bertuzzi, or bringing in a UFA signing in lieu of Bertuzzi.... I mean, maybe if there are some injuries at some point, and he excels next year... Bellows was incredibly streaky this year... he sure had some positive moments, but then long stretches of nothing.

From an Athletic article in January..

Yet even with his goal-scoring prowess, Bellows’ game has room for improvement.

AHL coaches love to use the word “details.” They know if a player can’t master the game’s small but repetitive elements every shift, those players stand little chance of being trusted by NHL coaches with higher expectations. And there are details in Bellows’ game that are sometimes lacking: He has difficulty catching passes cleanly, losing valuable seconds in transition. He struggles to use his stick effectively to shut down opposition plays, which feels like a valuable trait for a potential bottom-six NHL player to master. With the puck on his stick, he’s hit-and-miss at beating defenders out wide.
As it stands, Bellows simply gives the organization an offence-first option on left wing.

Bellows if he ever was dialed in 100%, every night is probably in a team's middle 6 but he's the kind of guy that needs a kick in the ass too frequently which is why he's not in the NHL right now.

Reactions: Fogelhund

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

He can still get stronger and faster and be better prepared for the pro game. Maybe he becomes a full time center? He might take the decision out of the clubs hands by having a monster summer and camp but if not they have a bunch of other wingers for the top 9 who won't benefit from splitting time. The chance of him moving the needle for the club is better at 20 than at 19 but if he forces it what can you do?

Grebenkin should be closer if there is a RW spot available and that's probably the biggest hurdle next season. Its a nice problem for the club to have.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Sure hope Jay O'Brien gets healthy enough to play some games next season but I feel like we haven't heard anything about him since he signed the deal initially.

He's not even under contract for next season. Think it was only a 1yr with the Marlies (not that he can't re-sign).

horner

May 22, 2007
I thought Oshawa would be a bit challenge but they are struggling bad.

Another point for Cowan, an assist this time
Oshawa insisting 2 key players
Iam a London fan it would be nice to see a tougher tilt.
Although London is a jugernot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad