Visit site
Anyone have a telescope?
Like to see how far away they are.

1714072281944.png

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Not entirely sure about the point you're making, but it is great to see at least 3 very promising young goalies in our system - Woll, Hildeby and AA - which gives hope we can groom our first homegrown starter since, Potvin?

I'm asking how far away are they?

Woll starter next year, the year after, never?
Hildeby backup when?

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I'm asking how far away are they?

Woll starter next year, the year after, never?
Hildeby backup when?
Woll is a capable backup next year, health permitting. Maybe a 35 start guy? Maybe a full on split next year? Health always seems the factor holding him back.

Ya gotta think Hildeby is close to backup status - I think he could probably do it next year if there was a need, though it’s hard to see that scenario happening. He was passed over twice, so close to the age. Trending well in NA, so performance is there. Likely AHL starter next year, next up with injury and ideally another slightly better year and projected backup for 25-26.

The other two I wouldn’t really stab at - hard to predict how much opportunity they’ll even get since the questions higher up the goalie ladder need to be answered first.

My guess:
24-25: new guy+Woll 45-35, if Woll is fit and emerges great for the following year. Hildeby starts in A; AA/AP splitting other games.
25-26: one of new guy/Woll+Hildeby 50-30, the other one dealt off. AA/AP splitting time in the A.

Reactions: SprDaVE

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Woll is a capable backup next year, health permitting. Maybe a 35 start guy? Maybe a full on split next year? Health always seems the factor holding him back.

Ya gotta think Hildeby is close to backup status - I think he could probably do it next year if there was a need, though it’s hard to see that scenario happening. He was passed over twice, so close to the age. Trending well in NA, so performance is there. Likely AHL starter next year, next up with injury and ideally another slightly better year and projected backup for 25-26.

The other two I wouldn’t really stab at - hard to predict how much opportunity they’ll even get since the questions higher up the goalie ladder need to be answered first.

My guess:
24-25: new guy+Woll 45-35, if Woll is fit and emerges great for the following year. Hildeby starts in A; AA/AP splitting other games.
25-26: one of new guy/Woll+Hildeby 50-30, the other one dealt off. AA/AP splitting time in the A.
I don't think they can pencil either Woll or Hildeby in safely. Woll as maybe the backup but they really need someone with some level of durability but without Sammy's mental fragility. Hildeby is a complete wild card until he gets in to the bigs. A respectable top 15 in save percentage as a rookie but so much yet to prove. A lot depends on whether they still see Woll as a possible #1 because that determines what they will be compelled to spend on the new guy because there is a big difference in a true #1 vs a 1a. I am good with them adding a quy with some questions but who isn't glass as a 1a and getting the wallet out for a trade in-season if the shine isn't there. I don't think they need a stallion to win, just not a sieve 2 games out of 5.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Clifford hit Kleven from behind and recorded a 5 minute major. It was 3-1 at the time, the Senators have scored since. Roughly 3:30 left on the PK to start the 3rd. Going to be a nail biter.

Reactions: aingefan

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Watching the knights game:

Here's what I'll say about Easton Cowan: He's clearly one of the best skaters on the ice, his edgework, and his ability to speed up on a dime is really impressive. I've been impressed with his work defesnsively. He's winning almost every face-off, he's rapid on the PK, and just makes nice smart plays. Offensively, he's been relatively quiet, but he set up the PP tying goal. He's playing with Max Mccue, and Sam O'reilly, they've been used as more of a defensive matchup line, so he's not getting amazing chances.

EDIT: Cowan scores the empty netter! On a great forecheck.

A few other guys, I have comments on:
  1. Ruslan Gazizov: Guy is a magician. He's been arguably the most dynamic player on the ice, on a team with several high-octane offensive talents. His hands are amazing, and has made several great passes. Plays with attitude too, not afraid to be a pest. I'd take a flyer on him as a OA2 in the 6th-7th round.
  2. Sam O'Reilly: I know he's projected to be around our pick, but I'm not overly impressed with his play. A little vanilla for a guy who's projected to be in the 20-30s.
  3. Sam Dickinson: Likely going to be the best defender of the draft. This is kid impresses me every type. Dynamic on both ends. Too bad we will be nowhere near his pick range.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Marlies are just like the Leafs. Can't hold on to a late lead, Belleville scores at the last second. 3-3 going to OT.

Reactions: Altimus

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I don't think they can pencil either Woll or Hildeby in safely. Woll as maybe the backup but they really need someone with some level of durability but without Sammy's mental fragility. Hildeby is a complete wild card until he gets in to the bigs. A respectable top 15 in save percentage as a rookie but so much yet to prove. A lot depends on whether they still see Woll as a possible #1 because that determines what they will be compelled to spend on the new guy because there is a big difference in a true #1 vs a 1a. I am good with them adding a quy with some questions but who isn't glass as a 1a and getting the wallet out for a trade in-season if the shine isn't there. I don't think they need a stallion to win, just not a sieve 2 games out of 5.
Well, I can’t see em giving up on Joe completely. He’s pretty good.
But you’re right, durability is a concern.
Hildeby is tracking well enough to be the third guy I’d say. Every player is in that nether region until they get a chance, he’s earned - or at least is earning - his.
I don’t mind Driedger or Brossoit for that role.
The FA class of ‘25 has goalies ….right now anyway.

Reactions: horner

horner

May 22, 2007
Well, I can’t see em giving up on Joe completely. He’s pretty good.
But you’re right, durability is a concern.
Hildeby is tracking well enough to be the third guy I’d say. Every player is in that nether region until they get a chance, he’s earned - or at least is earning - his.
I don’t mind Driedger or Brossoit for that role.
The FA class of ‘25 has goalies ….right now anyway.
Demko has an injury history as well , hrs injured right now. Vancouver never gave up on him.

Reactions: arso40 and aingefan

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Watching the knights game:

Here's what I'll say about Easton Cowan: He's clearly one of the best skaters on the ice, his edgework, and his ability to speed up on a dime is really impressive. I've been impressed with his work defesnsively. He's winning almost every face-off, he's rapid on the PK, and just makes nice smart plays. Offensively, he's been relatively quiet, but he set up the PP tying goal. He's playing with Max Mccue, and Sam O'reilly, they've been used as more of a defensive matchup line, so he's not getting amazing chances.

EDIT: Cowan scores the empty netter! On a great forecheck.

A few other guys, I have comments on:
  1. Ruslan Gazizov: Guy is a magician. He's been arguably the most dynamic player on the ice, on a team with several high-octane offensive talents. His hands are amazing, and has made several great passes. Plays with attitude too, not afraid to be a pest. I'd take a flyer on him as a OA2 in the 6th-7th round.
  2. Sam O'Reilly: I know he's projected to be around our pick, but I'm not overly impressed with his play. A little vanilla for a guy who's projected to be in the 20-30s.
  3. Sam Dickinson: Likely going to be the best defender of the draft. This is kid impresses me every type. Dynamic on both ends. Too bad we will be nowhere near his pick range.

I would do terrible things to draft Sam Dickinson

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Scoreboard watching: Looks like some real good resilience from the Marlies- goals in the last minute of both the second and third periods. Not good things to allow, but good to battle through and not deflate. Bend not break. Vets leading the way on the offence side.
Looks like Hildeby has been good.
Anyone watch? Any comments on any of the prospects play?

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Interested to see how close to being an NHL player Grebyonkin is at this point.

I think he will be make the jump next year or 2025 season at the latest.
His game translates to any of the 4 lines which should make it easier for him to make the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad