Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He might be injured, but coach Razin said he isnt. So who knows.

But you might wanna actually watch games and evaluate a players' current performances before resorting to the predictable "(Insert favorite Russian prospect) isn't getting playing time? The KHL is punishing him!
If people did this they'd realize Salavat wasn't benching Amirov, he was being diagnosed with cancer. Sibir wasn't punishing Ovchinnikov, he's just not very good.
Pretty much only SKA does that stuff anyways.

It's okay to critisize prospects instead of making up conspiracy theoroies to justify their poor play. Just saying.

So you've watched all of Metallurg's playoff games?

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
So you've watched all of Metallurg's playoff games?

About a third. Saw a lot of the Spartak series. Grebyonkin was given much responsibility but was thoroughly invisible.
And its not just him. #1 winger Karpov's role has been reduced for the same reason. They've lost offensive responsibility to Kantserov and Silantyev who've been really good lately.

It's the playoffs. You go with whats working. There's no room for mediocrity.

Reactions: Roadhog

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
Little more on Mattinen, just saw this come across my twitter timeline and figured I'd share. Obviously it is a complete reach to draw comparables for Nick to established NHL players as he is still very much a long shot to making the NHL, but the way he skates with and without the puck give me major John Klingberg vibes.

Not sure if Nick's defensive game is as poor as John's is/was, but he really looks to have a strong offensive instinct. Particularly on the PP and in transition. He moves very well for a big man IMO. At least that's what I am taking from the highlight packs.

Maybe it's my Leafs bias shining through, but he looks like a real player IMO. I can only assume the reason he never worked out in NA was because his defensive instincts are shit. But all that said, he's still on the right side of 30 and could easily develop that aspect of his game further.

You're being extremely biased here.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
About a third. Saw a lot of the Spartak series. Grebyonkin was given much responsibility but was thoroughly invisible.
And its not just him. #1 winger Karpov's role has been reduced for the same reason. They've lost offensive responsibility to Kantserov and Silantyev who've been really good lately.

Thanks for the info,

Chicago is my 2nd favorite team so actually saw the Chicago prospect accounts on Twitter were posting highlights of Kantserov a lot more.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008

I don’t watch KHL so thanks for the input. Can you describe the downfalls in his play as you’ve seen them.

Still, all the way down to (what was it?) 5 mins is pretty intense coaching.

I’ll look forward to more of your insights :)

Grebyonkin a RW?

Having he and Knies on the same line attacking the net could be poetry
I can’t say for sure, but it’s not uncommon in Russia for guys to play their off-wing, and get looks on both sides.

Reactions: arso40

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I don’t watch KHL so thanks for the input. Can you describe the downfalls in his play as you’ve seen them.

I can’t say for sure, but it’s not uncommon in Russia for guys to play their off-wing, and get looks on both sides.
You could also have Knies with Marner and Matty, Grebs with Willy on the other wing. If he translates to NA, he gives you a lot of really great looks for your top 9

Reactions: aingefan and arso40

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
With: McMann, Knies, Robertson, Cowan, Grebs, Minten, Dewar, and a few others with the Marlies, I see too many youngsters (ok, not McMann, but same price category) to inject into a team at one time when that team wants to compete for a cup. I can see two of these fellas packaged with a vet (Kamph/Jarnkrok?) to a rebuilding organization for a more complete player who can compete now on a line 2 or 3.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
You could also have Knies with Marner and Matty, Grebs with Willy on the other wing. If he translates to NA, he gives you a lot of really great looks for your top 9

If Cowan can play C....

Knies Matty Domi
McMann Tavares Marner
Nylander Cowan Grebs

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

Grebyonkin looks his age......like he's struggling with the pace as playoffs progress. His decision making is slower, forcing bad plays, etc. He just has no impact. He's MM worst +/- next to the previously mentioned Karpov.
Same goes for Yurov, but to a much lesser extent. His offense has dried up but he's very good elsewhere. He's a well-rounded kid.
On the other hand Kantserov has been a revelation. He's come out of nowhere and is buzzing around the ice like a confident 10 year vet.

We'll see how things go against Lokomotiv. They play a very structured system. It will be difficult to score on them. Maybe Grebyonkin will get another chance and redeem himself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lauro and aingefan

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
If Cowan can play C....

Knies Matty Domi
McMann Tavares Marner
Nylander Cowan Grebs
I would make it....

Knies Matthews Marner
McMann Tavares Nylander
Domi Cowen Jarnkrok
Holmberg Dewar Reaves

Will be an interesting off season, ad the defence is much more of a crap shoot- as is the goaltending for that matter.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
You're being extremely biased here.
Yes that may be, but at the end of the day I do think Nick will get a decent look. like most Euro UFA signings he will most certainly be given an opportunity to crack the big club at some point. Yes, Nick was drafted by us, but I view his signing more so as a European UFA vs. a full circle developmental masterclass. Largely because we did relinquish his rights at one point and he did play in another NHL organization before returning to us.

Similar to the signings of Mikko Lehtonon, Igor Ozighanov, Nakita Zaitzev, Calle Rosen, Andreas Borgman...etc Nick will get his chance with the big club at some point in time. The contract he signed was not an AHL deal, he signed a 2-way deal. It would be a complete waste of a SPC slot if we did not at the very least intend to give him a shot at making the team even as a first man up from the minors.

Nick is going to get a shot at camp to impress, and if he continues to develop like he has over the years I would not be surprised to see him in a Leaf uniform next season. And if you're Nick, you have to be looking at our lack of depth and size on the right side and just salivate. The road map to getting playing time in the NHL is clear as day. He's got a 2-way deal, on a perennially cap strapped team, with a lack of right shot D-men with size. He is more than likely going to get some time up with the big boys, it will all be about making good with that time when he gets there.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

horner

May 22, 2007
Or maybe it's harder to score in the playoffs ?
Obviously harder but he did ok last yrs playoffs

Sometimes we expect to much out of these KIDS.t

Some people are starting to question Grebyonkin because he insist scoring the way he did in the regular season

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Saskatoon beating the shit out of Red Deer 6-0 after 2 periods.

Lisowsky with 1 goal and 1 assist. On the verge of losing him in a few months if we don't sign him.
Minten with 1 goal.

If they win this game, they win the series with a 4-0 sweep.

Saskatoon is the top team in the CHL for a reason. London Knights are also up 3-0 in their 2nd round series and they play tomorrow. A shame Cowan and Minten couldn't win a gold at the WJCs because it would have been a hell of a year to potentially get a Memorial cup and a gold in a season for either.

Kessler and the 67s are down 3-0 and might be eliminated tomorrow as well.

I'd sign Lisowsky to an ELC. Plenty of contract spots and a good opportunity to give him plenty of time to see if he can develop a little more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad