Rumor: Marleau for Brad Marchand

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
In what way is Marchand worth Marleau?

I can't even imagine what the responses would have been, had this trade been proposed three months ago.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
And that's before getting into who is going to be a better fit to other teams possibly trading for him. Marleau can fit onto other teams based on his skill set better than Pavelski can. GM's aren't going to differentiate the two based on six points and +/-.

He's cheaper, younger, equal in stats, draws way more penalties and is much better on faceoffs as well and an equal penalty killer.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
He's cheaper, younger, equal in stats, draws way more penalties and is much better on faceoffs as well and an equal penalty killer.

Marleau is still a better fit on more teams than Pavelski is. His equality in stats loses its meaning when Marleau has been given the more difficult responsibilities. Marleau's physical skill set is likely going to last longer than Pavelski. Pavelski has the type of physical skill set that it is highly questionable whether he remains anywhere close to his current level once he loses a step. Marleau most likely doesn't have that same issue. Teams are putting more emphasis on a speed game that Marleau is better than Pavelski at.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Because Pavelski is more valuable given his age and ability.

I wouldn't be surprised if Marleau is playing after Pavelski is retired

And for some: When the Sharks are talking about a rebuild, they are talking about within three years not ten.

For others attempting to say Marchand is somehow equivalent to Marleau: gee I wonder why Boston would be interested. Just look at the TOI Marchand averages about 16 minutes per game where Marleau averages about 21... gee I wonder who is better.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
I wouldn't be surprised if Marleau is playing after Pavelski is retired

And for some: When the Sharks are talking about a rebuild, they are talking about within three years not ten.

For others attempting to say Marchand is somehow equivalent to Marleau: gee I wonder why Boston would be interested. Just look at the TOI Marchand averages about 16 minutes per game where Marleau averages about 21... gee I wonder who is better.

Marleau for Marchand straight up would be fine, but would be even better if Krug was added!!!

Blackbear

Jan 3, 2007
I'm not gonna de-rail the thread by getting into Pavelski vs Marleau/Thornton like I always do. But Marchand is basically a similar player to Marleau, just younger and smaller and not quite as good. I would love to have him but I feel that there are other players I would rather trade for him than Marleau.

Not hardly. Marchand is a quicker, more agile skater with a much better dangle and much better shot than Marleau. Marleau is much faster in a straight line, is more experienced and mature and a much more reliable force defensively. An interesting trade idea but it will never happen for both sides of the same coin. SJ is afraid Marchand can't keep it up for 10 more years and Bos realizes they 'd be hosed by the deal if Marchand does stay a significant force for many years.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Marleau for Marchand straight up would be fine, but would be even better if Krug was added!!!

No it would not be and personally I think the Sharks have enough dmen who need to be sheltered or carried. If the next move was to ship either Demers or Irwin out then maybe get Krug

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
If you can trade a 35 year old 1st liner for a 25 year old second liner I think you have to do it if you're rebuilding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad