Rumor: Marleau for Brad Marchand

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Because somehow DW still thinks he's a young piece for our rebuild. :shakehead If we are trading Joe & Patty we might as well trade Pavs as well.

I'm not gonna de-rail the thread by getting into Pavelski vs Marleau/Thornton like I always do. But Marchand is basically a similar player to Marleau, just younger and smaller and not quite as good. I would love to have him but I feel that there are other players I would rather trade for him than Marleau.

JayP812

The Team of Tomorrow
Aug 16, 2010
Bay Area
He'd be okay I guess but I want Krug. If we can find a way to add him to the deal, I'd be fine with it even though Marleau staying would be ideal.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
LxLl7.gif

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'd rather have Krug than Boychuck but if a 35 year old Marleau can get Marchand in return that would be a coup. And I hate Marchand.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
It's not Pavelski bc of C depth and Yandle :sarcasm:

I think Marleau is the first cog in the Thornton trade wheel.

Goodbye Stuart wherever you go too.

See you Niemi.

It's happening....

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Give me Hamilton or give me death!

That said Marchand+Boychuk is actually are pretty decent deal. The fact that the stars get Seguin for Eriksson, and we would get Marchand for Marleau (who I feel is a better player), kind of sucks however.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Marchand + Krug for Marleau + ???

I'm more than willing to do that. I don't think Boychuk is necessary since he's an RHD and we already have 3 of them. Yeah, I know Braun can play the left side, I'd just rather he stay on the right.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Take it for what it's worth:

Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli told WEEI.com Friday morning that he has no plans to trade forward Brad Marchand. He also refuted a rumor from Thursday that the team was discussing a trade of the pesky forward for Sharks veteran Patrick Marleau.

“I have had no discussions for Marchand and I have no plans to trade him,†Chiarelli said. “I don't make it a practice to respond to reports in the social media but occasionally it is necessary.â€

http://kuklaskorner.com/hockey/comm...archand?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Krug isn't dominant.

He's probably one of the most offensively potent dman in the league. 3rd in goals(14) and 24th in points only playing 17:30 minutes a night is incredible production for a rookie. the closest player in ice time is Shattenkirk at 20:30 and he only put up 6 more points than him. Most players above him are playing 5+ more minutes a night. You probably couldn't ask for a better replacement for Boyle.

He also just led the Bruins in playoff scoring(2-8-10 in 12games)and is most likely set to make a pretty low cap hit on a bridge deal so I doubt he's available anyway.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
http://kuklaskorner.com/hockey/comm...archand?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter[/QUOTE]

Quote:

Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli told WEEI.com Friday morning that he has no plans to trade forward Brad Marchand. He also refuted a rumor from Thursday that the team was discussing a trade of the pesky forward for Sharks veteran Patrick Marleau.

“I have had no discussions for Marchand and I have no plans to trade him,†Chiarelli said. “I don't make it a practice to respond to reports in the social media but occasionally it is necessary.â€

/thread ;)

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
He's probably one of the most offensively potent dman in the league. 3rd in goals(14) and 24th in points only playing 17:30 minutes a night is incredible production for a rookie. the closest player in ice time is Shattenkirk at 20:30 and he only put up 6 more points than him. Most players above him are playing 5+ more minutes a night. You probably couldn't ask for a better replacement for Boyle.

He also just led the Bruins in playoff scoring(2-8-10 in 12games)and is most likely set to make a pretty low cap hit on a bridge deal so I doubt he's available anyway.

Then there is that other end of the ice where he is kind of a disaster. He's not coming to San Jose anyway so its a moot point.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
Because Pavelski is more valuable given his age and ability.

I'm not sure I'd value Pavelski over Marleau. Marleau is 35, but he plays a style that is conducive to staying healthy. Great skater, strong, not a whole lot of contact. He seems like a player who could go on for a while at a high level. Even if he slows down quite a bit he's still an above average skater with a high hockey IQ.

Pavelski is my favorite Shark. He's younger, but with a body that scares me more as time goes on. He is slow, and not very big, but does all of the hard-nosed things. If he slows down all he will have is his shot and hockey IQ, but there's not many really good players that lack both size and speed. Pavs is one of them, but I fear if he slows down a little his value will drastically change.

I really think that Marleau may have as many good years left in him as Pavelski, which is why I'd prefer to move Pavelski from a value standpoint.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
We don't really have anything in there or anywhere that proves this statement to be true.

Last three years:

Marleau 80 goals 85 assists +8
Pavelski 88 goals 83 assists +43

The basic stats say, at best, it's even. At best.

Add in the fact he is 5 years younger and more likely to keep up that pace and he's locked up for $667,000 less and for two additional years, it's pretty basic to figure he has more value in a trade.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Last three years:

Marleau 80 goals 85 assists +8
Pavelski 88 goals 83 assists +43

The basic stats say, at best, it's even. At best.

Add in the fact he is 5 years younger and more likely to keep up that pace and he's locked up for $667,000 less and for two additional years, it's pretty basic to figure he has more value in a trade.

That's not basic...that's just lazy. Pavs and Marleau don't have the same roles and they don't face the same competition quality nor have the same teammates. Pavs has been sheltered in comparison to Marleau. And that's before getting into who is going to be a better fit to other teams possibly trading for him. Marleau can fit onto other teams based on his skill set better than Pavelski can. GM's aren't going to differentiate the two based on six points and +/-.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $10.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $40.00