Markus Granlund Discussion Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Reverend Mayhem said:
This is my biggest problem. Especially when Shinkaruk could have been used to get the type of player Gudbranson is for us, which would hypothetically save us McCann.

Instead the 2nd worst scoring team traded 2 of their prospects with good offensive weapons for players who more defense-oriented. If Virtanen and Baertschi don't make strides forward this year we are looking at the worst offense in the NHL bar none with NJ adding Hall.

I don't care what you are, those logistics suck, and I would not be surprised if we run into scoring problems again this year.

Totally. If you're going to trade away a young prospect, do it for an immediate certainty with a lower ceiling.

Granlund is not an immediate certainty. We just traded a potential scorer for potential meat and potatoes.

But I guess it should be noted that most likely both of these players are going to be kickin' rocks eventually.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Totally. If you're going to trade away a young prospect, do it for an immediate certainty with a lower ceiling.

Granlund is not an immediate certainty. We just traded a potential scorer for potential meat and potatoes.

But I guess it should be noted that most likely both of these players are going to be kickin' rocks eventually.

Disagree, it is certain to me that he will be an immediate scrub for life, not just potential for meat and potatoes~.
:laugh:

But our management thinks he's Patrice Bergeron, so there's that...
:facepalm:

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Not even meat and potatoes, just a slightly more complete player. I'd liken it (depending on how you see either at this point in time) to trading a 7.5C prospect for a 6.5B prospect. I don't get it, but as McGuire said, "You've got to be 110% sure this player is going to bust to make this trade, otherwise it's very foolish."

paraphrasing of course

The move in its entirety screams Weisbrod to me and it's very concerning.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
Why even have a thread? He sucks and hes a bust excuse me while i go reeeeeeeeeee in the corner without thinking he might get better since hes young.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site

It was a completely unnecessary move at the time. Weren't bringing in anyone established. Were better off packaging Shink rather than deal him one for one.

It doesn't matter if they viewed him as a likely bust, it's whether some other team viewed him as a potential NHLer. If they found one, then they should have made a deal with that team.

I have no issue with dealing Shink. I agree that he's either a 2nd line LW or he won't play in the NHL. He doesn't possess bottom 6 traits. Not a PKer, grinder, speed guy. Either he scores or doesn't play.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I didn't like the trade, but I don't hate on Granlund; it's not his fault.

I was a Shinkaruk fan repeatedly counselled his critics to be patient. But at the AHL level, Granlund is a more accomplish offensive player.. The fact that he's a Centre and has a decent defensive game makes him far more versatile, allowing him to be used in lot more situations. He's a decent play maker, but unlike Shink, if he doesn't score or produce offense he can still be useful to the team.

I still hate the trade. But Granlund is not rubbish.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I didn't like the trade, but I don't hate on Granlund; it's not his fault.

I was a Shinkaruk fan repeatedly counselled his critics to be patient. But at the AHL level, Granlund is a more accomplish offensive player.. The fact that he's a Centre and has a decent defensive game makes him far more versatile, allowing him to be used in lot more situations. He's a decent play maker, but unlike Shink, if he doesn't score or produce offense he can still be useful to the team.

I still hate the trade. But Granlund is not rubbish.

I disagree with this a bit. The bit on Shink is fair and I wouldn't argue most of what people say. I think he will succeed, but I can more than understand people who don't.

However, Granlund has not progressed since coming to NA. This is a very bad sign. He had a great first year on a great Abby team in the AHL, and since then taken a step or so back. He moved up to the NHL, and didn't cement himself as a player, and since then hasn't improved. he has flat-lined. That is a bad sign in 3 NA Pro seasons, from a player who came over already playing pro hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad